DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
ercrbc
Mouseketeer

I have points and two reservations in the system for next year! Yay! The points showed up in my account online, however, if I hit book resort online it came up with an error screen. I called MS and had a VERY helpful CM who made some notes about the situation to be handled by IT next week. She said they will link the two membership numbers so I will be able to book online soon, just not exactly sure how long that will take. But in the meantime she booked the two reservations we were hoping for and banked the remaining points! We are all set and everything online is on it's way to being functional

Thanks for all the great help and support the past few days and to many of you the past few months too! We are so happy to officially call HHI our 'home resort'
2011 June AKV-Kidani
2010 Sept OKW
2009 Sept AKV-Jambo
ercrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Disney makes money only with direct sales. The dues that we pay goes towards maintaining the DVC resorts, services, with a small percentage going to Disney for management. They get paid even if they do a bad job.

Owners have to use their points or they lose them, you will naturally buy admission tickets and eat in Disney restaurants. There are something like 22 million visitors to Disney Parks each year, 400,000 DVC members are a minority. There isn't any incentive for Disney to treat DVC members any differently. If you don't like what's going on you can sell your contract, but someone else just takes your place.

Bilby did announce a 10% discount at all Disney stores for DVC members and a discounted AP which is a nice gesture.

Bill
Disney shouldn't care if it is direct or resale because the resale contracts were once direct contracts and Disney did make their money on them. The only way for them to continue to 'milk the cow' is for that contract to be used. If they make it difficult for these contracts to be bought either Disney will need to purchase them all or if it sits 'un purchased' there are potentially no annual dues being collected. Not to mention, no ticket sales, food sales, etc.... 400,000 members may be a tiny number in the overall scheme of things but clearly we are a cash cow for them or they wouldn't keep finding ways to make DVC resorts.

There is some saying that basically goes that people tell many more people about bad experiences than good. So if Disney wants to keep DVC healthy, its important to keep the balance of happy customers larger than the unhappy ones.

So far the 'balance' is in Disney's favor and most likely will continue to be because it's Disney. IT doesn't mean though that Disney's cast members should be reckless with their companies image.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #33
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
Disney shouldn't care if it is direct or resale because the resale contracts were once direct contracts and Disney did make their money on them. The only way for them to continue to 'milk the cow' is for that contract to be used. If they make it difficult for these contracts to be bought either Disney will need to purchase them all or if it sits 'un purchased' there are potentially no annual dues being collected. Not to mention, no ticket sales, food sales, etc.... 400,000 members may be a tiny number in the overall scheme of things but clearly we are a cash cow for them or they wouldn't keep finding ways to make DVC resorts.

There is some saying that basically goes that people tell many more people about bad experiences than good. So if Disney wants to keep DVC healthy, its important to keep the balance of happy customers larger than the unhappy ones.

So far the 'balance' is in Disney's favor and most likely will continue to be because it's Disney. IT doesn't mean though that Disney's cast members should be reckless with their companies image.
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that Disney really makes it difficult for resale contract owners. Yes, they make you wait the full 30 days for ROFR, and yes, they are less than helpful to people who call about their contract's closing status, but compared to other timeshare companies they are relatively easy going. Plus, the "restrictions" they place on resale points are nowhere near as bad as those placed by other timeshare companies as well. I agree that Disney should protect their image, but I don't think anybody who has bought resale has been so scarred by the process that they have soured on Disney.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post

I disagree on both points somewhat. That a given contract was once a retail really means nothing to DVD as every resale purchase is in direct competition with the next retail sale and they get nothing directly from the maint contract which goes to a technically separate company DVCMC. Timeshares don't have to do as much to keep members happy as most people think. The 400K number is misleading and represented less than 170K memberships as of the end of 2011.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Try searching by your SSN.

If the contracts are not all titled the exact same way or if Disney made a mistake, you will have separate logins.

Disney started making it very clear that they do not like resale buyers a couple of years ago. They deliberately delay the ROFR and account set up process.

Bill
We have had our new cards from DVC for our resale purchase, but the points are still not showing on our account, I emailed them, they told me to contact
the TS as to when they sent the contract to them, I replied but you have sent me the membership cards so you must have recieved it , still waiting for a reply, we bought 3 contract through disney, Seems they are getting really anti resale.
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post
I could see this happening, but I don't get it. Just because they didn't get our upfront fees, they're still receiving hefty annual payments from all of us in addition to the money we spend when we're at WDW.

Disappointing.
The money you spend at Disney World has no value to DVC. Tickets, food, etc, they get nothing from that. Just because it is Disney does not mean DVC gets a percentage of it. As others state they also do not profit from the maintenance fees.

They make their money with direct sales and resales take away that new sale, they are the competition. Much like if people only buy used cars from a private lot, and no new cars from dealers. Personally I expect them to make more restrictions in the future to try and curb resales.

I am sorry this person was rude but resales are not something DVC is fond of.

Last edited by Sammie; 09-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #37
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

I have long said the following....

DVC needs to set a minimum price point for each resort, and every time that minimum price isn't met, they buy the contract back - and do the following...

Every time a new member buys, OR a current member adds on, they are offered an EQUAL or near equal number of points at another resort for a certain percentage higher than what they bought the points.

For instance - when they start to sell points at the Grand Floridian Villas - new member goes to buy 200 points - well, for $65 a point, they can buy 100 points at OKW, BWV, VWL etc etc etc - SO not only are they selling points at the NEW resort, they are giving members more of what they want... POINTS at a great price - AND removing resale points from the market to keep DVC prices within reason.

When we bought our first points at AKL we would have scooped up at least 100 points at VWL if we had been able to do so for the current resale prices.

We went to buy points at HHI last year, I first contacted Disney to see if they had points at HHI with our use year, and what their selling price was at the time... AND they did not have points for our use year (with a wait list of 6 months), AND they were asking twice the price that we eventually paid when we found a contract that fit our needs.

We now own at 4 resorts, 2 were purchased direct (AKL and BLT - we bought BLT direct when they were offering the $$$ off, current year back dated points, and a 7 night cruise.... that was in 2008 when the economy totally tanked).

IF Disney has offered the opportunity to buy points at an additional resort, we would have purchased ALL of our points direct.

The removal of some collections from resale owners purchased after the March changes weren't really enough to change DVC's bottom line - all it did was LOWER the price of resales.

I really thought that were going to offer a promo of some sort involving Beach Club when they went on their ROFR frenzy with that resort last year.

I wonder when they are going to start offering contract extensions to Beach Club, Boardwalk, HHI, and Vero - as well as other older resorts?! Let's face it - it IS going to happen - they aren't going to miss that opportunity!

I wonder if Claire will be on the January Member Cruise?! Perhaps I will have a captive audience for all of my ideas!

HAHA I doubt it
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpwv View Post

DVC needs to set a minimum price point for each resort, and every time that minimum price isn't met, they buy the contract back - and do the following...
That's what ROFR does. The problem is that to do so in a way to do what you say would mean they're overpaying for every point they buy back. Remember, ROFR is only in place for their protection, they have no responsibility or intent related to protecting current or future owners value or sales price. DVC doesn't make as much on resales as some would like to think plus any resale they sold again is a retail package at a new resort that goes unsold.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #39
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharpwv View Post

Every time a new member buys, OR a current member adds on, they are offered an EQUAL or near equal number of points at another resort for a certain percentage higher than what they bought the points.
Right now, there's really not much reason for DVC to be involved in ROFR. Sales are strong despite the resale price differential and new resorts are where the real money is.

If you look at my math elsewhere in this thread, DVC's building expenses on Bay Lake Tower amount to roughly $18 per point. Average selling price was probably somewhere around $120 per point. So we're talking a profit before selling expenses in the neighborhood of $102 per point.

If they ROFR at $50 and resell at $80, that's a profit before sales expense of just $30 per point. They are much better off focusing efforts on the more profitable ventures.

Quote:
I wonder when they are going to start offering contract extensions to Beach Club, Boardwalk, HHI, and Vero - as well as other older resorts?! Let's face it - it IS going to happen - they aren't going to miss that opportunity!
Really there's no opportunity to be missed. If DVC decides not to offer extensions, they can simply re-sell new 50 year contracts starting in 2041/42 for a price likely to be $250-300 per point. No need to rush it with extensions--the money will always be there.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: