Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
laurba99
Earning My Ears

trying to plan first day-we head out 5:30AM!

We leave the house at 5:30 AM for our flight with almost 5 yr old in tow. I'm trying to get a sense of a reasonable day considering we are starting so early. We will probably get to our hotel at around 11:30. This is day one of five days at the parks. I think he will want to see magic kingdom first. Would you get settled (if we can even get into our room at that hour) and then cab over? Maybe we could grab some food at the hotel first. I don't want to overwhelm him on day one and I know I'll be exhausted from the packing/planning etc.
laurba99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I think MK is a great place for the first day! I just try not to overwhelm and be patient because you know that he will be tired and all. We took my son when he was 2.5 and had quite a few meltdowns because he was so tired! I would maybe even let him nap in the room before you head out.

We are going next week and he is now 4 and I have an 11 month old too so I will be doing the same, wrestling with tired boys.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

I think MK is also a good start, just don't plan to spend the whole day there.

I would grab lunch first and then head over to MK to get a feel for the magic and hit a few non-headliners -- It's a Small World, Tea Cups, People Mover, Magic Carpets, Philharmagic -- get some family photos in front of the caste.

You might also be able to work in meeting Mickey and the gang at Town Square Theatre.

I wouldn't stay late so that you can get a good rest and an early start the next day.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

UPCOMING: April 2014 Yacht Club

CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic
UPCOMING** November 2014 Disney Fantasy

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
laurba99
Earning My Ears

thanks~!

Wow you make it seem easy for me to travel with just one 5 yr old! I can't imagine taking him and a baby (which is probably why I only have one kid!) Do you think if we have a light stroller that is easy to fold it will be easy to bus, monorail etc with that and our backpack? Do you also carry a cross-over purse or put everything in one bag? Wondering if I should get a flat one with zippers to put the disney tickets in and some money. credit card. etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

We are taking two strollers. We have one sit and stand and then just a little cheap umbrella stroller. I think if you have an umbrella stroller, it will be easy to get on and off. I borrowed a friends Thirty One bag that I will probably put everything in. I have a big Coach bag but I doubt I will want to fool with that so I will probably just bring my small one ( big enough to put camera, credit card, license and phone) My mom got me a Mommy Hook ( you put it on stroller and it will hold all bags) and I have never used it but someone on here suggested it so I will bring that too.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
laurba99
Earning My Ears

good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
I think MK is also a good start, just don't plan to spend the whole day there.

I would grab lunch first and then head over to MK to get a feel for the magic and hit a few non-headliners -- It's a Small World, Tea Cups, People Mover, Magic Carpets, Philharmagic -- get some family photos in front of the caste.

You might also be able to work in meeting Mickey and the gang at Town Square Theatre.

I wouldn't stay late so that you can get a good rest and an early start the next day.
yes I think my attitude about what we need to see/not see is key! I have to be ok for just an intro to that park. We'll all be tired I'm sure. So hard because I'm sure like everyone else you talk all about what they will see etc so it's hard to say we'll see pirates of the carribean another day.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurba99 View Post
We leave the house at 5:30 AM for our flight with almost 5 yr old in tow. I'm trying to get a sense of a reasonable day considering we are starting so early. We will probably get to our hotel at around 11:30. This is day one of five days at the parks. I think he will want to see magic kingdom first. Would you get settled (if we can even get into our room at that hour) and then cab over? Maybe we could grab some food at the hotel first. I don't want to overwhelm him on day one and I know I'll be exhausted from the packing/planning etc.
It depends. Are you staying onsite? If so I would plan to check in and if your room is ready refresh with a shower then head right out. You can unpack when you get pack. I would take a slow unplanned afternoon at MK and then go to Downtown Disney before grabbing dinner and then heading back to the hotel for the night. 5:30 is my typical wake up so whiel it isn;t early to me it might be for your family.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
laurba99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
We are taking two strollers. We have one sit and stand and then just a little cheap umbrella stroller. I think if you have an umbrella stroller, it will be easy to get on and off. I borrowed a friends Thirty One bag that I will probably put everything in. I have a big Coach bag but I doubt I will want to fool with that so I will probably just bring my small one ( big enough to put camera, credit card, license and phone) My mom got me a Mommy Hook ( you put it on stroller and it will hold all bags) and I have never used it but someone on here suggested it so I will bring that too.

great suggestion for the hook! ours does not fit much under the stroller and I don't want to carry around that much either but that hook could come in handy just in case.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurba99 View Post
great suggestion for the hook! ours does not fit much under the stroller and I don't want to carry around that much either but that hook could come in handy just in case.

Where are you staying?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
laurba99
Earning My Ears

not on-site :(

We are staying at the Radisson Lake buena vista. They have a MK shuttle that leaves at 11:50 I think that might be too rushed for us. Cabbing over might be better--even if we cab to TTC and monorail over that would be fun for him. I guess we could also walk to a downtown disney hotel and grab a shuttle there?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

Oh okay, I hope you have a magical time!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
munchkinsmomma24
Mouseketeer

We will be hitting MK after a busy week and not getting to the park until around 12:30, with four kiddos ranging from 8yrs to 21 months.

For whatever it's worth, my plan is to get ourselves oriented, stop at Guest Services and get a times guide, and try to meet Mickey and the Princesses (but I have two girls ). Ride the train, because I know my boys will LOVE it. Head to Adventureland, and do the stuff there. We are also planning to stay for the electrical parade and Wishes.

With your schedule, I would just do what sounds fun in Adventureland and maybe Tomorrowland if he feels like it and call it a day, and plan to be at the park as close to rope drop as possible on a different day to hit the busy stuff in Fantasyland. You might check the times guide for Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It, or see if you could watch the 3pm parade
munchkinsmomma24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: