Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

Congrats to everybody on their accomplishments!! My DH just passed his 5 year mark. I am so proud of him! I am also very happy that Disney offers this support group.
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Attendance at these meeting can be good or not so good depending on the cruise. If she feels that she will need this support she may want to bring her big book to read if the people support is lacking. She will know what will work best for her.

Congratulation to all those who are celebrating recovery!
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
AmanduhAnn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73
My mother was my #1 fan. Unfortunately she passed away when I had 2 years, but I know she died proud of me.
This made me very teary eyed. Congrats to you too! <3

I also this it is great that DCL makes sure there is somewhere for these meetings to be held.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
We kept seeing that event on the schedule, and not knowing what it was, we looked it up when we got home.

I just have to say that I think it is AWESOME that Disney offers this/facilitates this. Especially on cruises and vacations where triggers are everywhere. It makes my heart smile to imagine your daughter and others getting to meet and support one another in such a magical space.

Congratulations to your daughter on her 3 year, and I hope you have a fantastic cruise.
It's not just Disney, I know HAL also does it. I'd hazard a guess that it's available on most cruiselines.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73 View Post
I am celebrating my 10th anniversary on this cruise. I went on a cruise last year, and there were daily meetings in the Cove Cafe (on the Wonder) at 8:30 am. There were only 6 of us, but it was one of the highlights of my cruise, and I am still in touch with another member. The meetings are very informal. If you'd like to give her a token/ chip, I'd get it before you leave. Do you have a serenity shop or something like that in your town? If not, I am happy to go buy you one and send it to you. Just PM me with your address.
3 years is huge, and good for you for supporting her. My mother was my #1 fan. Unfortunately she passed away when I had 2 years, but I know she died proud of me.
Thank you so much for this kind offer. After talking with her again, she said that she would email me a link where I could purchase a token/chip for her. I will not be going on the cruise with her. She will be with her best friend who is a Disney CM and has totally supported her throu this journey. I will give the chip to her friend, who will present it to her on her special day. By doing that, it will make things a little more special for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma4ever View Post
Attendance at these meeting can be good or not so good depending on the cruise. If she feels that she will need this support she may want to bring her big book to read if the people support is lacking. She will know what will work best for her.
Thank you for mentioning this. I will pass this on to her.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanduhAnn View Post
This made me very teary eyed. Congrats to you too! <3

I also this it is great that DCL makes sure there is somewhere for these meetings to be held.

Thanks girl! 46 more days till we cruise!
kindsoul73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

My Grampa was an old-timer (not just his age-LOL) with Bill W & friends. In my memories he was always very active with AA, going to conventions, etc. My Gramma was just as involved & dedicated with Al-Anon. They loved scouring thrift stores for copies of The Big Book so they could buy them & have them on-hand to give to newcomers. It's so interesting to hear about the early days when a meeting was 3 guys in a small-town cafe booth. LOL! My Grampa was well over 40 years sober when he passed. We all miss him so terribly. My gramma has tried to make sure each of us have things of his that mean something to us which is where I'm going with all this. Bear with me. Back in the old days before chips were around or readily available they would take a silver dollar & drill a small hole in it for each year of sobriety. Every year when it was time out came that person's silver dollar & another hole was drilled. I have in my jewelry box a silver dollar that belonged to my Grampa... That has 39 holes drilled thru it. He had Alzheimer's so after a certain point he didn't have the presence he once did. Might I suggest maybe for a special token get a silver dollar for your daughter so she can have a cool, old-school chip. If DCL has a coin or medallion keepsake souvenir or something you could get one & have it drilled by a jeweler or machine shop. Just a suggestion!

When I see the Friends of Bill W in the Navigators I always smile. It's like having Grampa winking at me again. Would love to go to a meeting onboard just to share (went to many a meeting with him) but not entirely sure it would be appropriate so I'm happy with my little winks from above.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
9/14 DCL Dream w/friends
9/14 Disneyland sans kids
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
11/15 DCL Wonder
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #23
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJ View Post
Thank you so much for this kind offer. After talking with her again, she said that she would email me a link where I could purchase a token/chip for her. I will not be going on the cruise with her. She will be with her best friend who is a Disney CM and has totally supported her throu this journey. I will give the chip to her friend, who will present it to her on her special day. By doing that, it will make things a little more special for her.

Thank you for mentioning this. I will pass this on to her.
Fantastic!

Congratulations for everyone's accomplishments.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
My Grampa was an old-timer (not just his age-LOL) with Bill W & friends. In my memories he was always very active with AA, going to conventions, etc. My Gramma was just as involved & dedicated with Al-Anon. They loved scouring thrift stores for copies of The Big Book so they could buy them & have them on-hand to give to newcomers. It's so interesting to hear about the early days when a meeting was 3 guys in a small-town cafe booth. LOL! My Grampa was well over 40 years sober when he passed. We all miss him so terribly. My gramma has tried to make sure each of us have things of his that mean something to us which is where I'm going with all this. Bear with me. Back in the old days before chips were around or readily available they would take a silver dollar & drill a small hole in it for each year of sobriety. Every year when it was time out came that person's silver dollar & another hole was drilled. I have in my jewelry box a silver dollar that belonged to my Grampa... That has 39 holes drilled thru it. He had Alzheimer's so after a certain point he didn't have the presence he once did. Might I suggest maybe for a special token get a silver dollar for your daughter so she can have a cool, old-school chip. If DCL has a coin or medallion keepsake souvenir or something you could get one & have it drilled by a jeweler or machine shop. Just a suggestion!

When I see the Friends of Bill W in the Navigators I always smile. It's like having Grampa winking at me again. Would love to go to a meeting onboard just to share (went to many a meeting with him) but not entirely sure it would be appropriate so I'm happy with my little winks from above.
Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Vertigo127
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
Love this! Thanks for sharing.
Both of my parents were alcoholics, and a large number of vacation memories as a child involve one or both being intoxicated or working diligently toward it. It makes me very happy that Disney is supporting these families in making happier memories and continuing on their healthy journeys!
Vertigo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
I just have to say that I think it is AWESOME that Disney offers this/facilitates this.
RCCL does it as well. I agree with the previous poster, that I think most of the big cruise lines make it available!

congrats to your daughter, OP!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
kindsoul73
Mouseketeer

I do believe it is on every cruise ship. It is very discreet. When I went last year to the first meeting, I just went into the Cove Cafe, and there was a Big Book sitting on a table.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindsoul73 View Post
I do believe it is on every cruise ship. It is very discreet. When I went last year to the first meeting, I just went into the Cove Cafe, and there was a Big Book sitting on a table.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
SerenityNowGirl
Earning My Ears

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have been scouring the forum for info on FoB meetings aboard the ship. We're going on the NYE cruise 12/31/2013, leaving from Galveston aboard the Wonder. It's our first cruise and our first proper family vacation EVER, which is just amazing. I'm 5 years sober and this will be a first for me.

One day it dawned on me that I will be out in the middle of the ocean with none of my regular recovery support folks with me. I'm not afraid of drinking or anything like that. I just need that connection with others in recovery on a pretty regular basis. It helps keep me sane and comfortable. So grateful that DCL provides a meeting space for this.

I hope even one person shows up to the meetings I'll be going to. That would be wonderful!

Congrats and gratitude for all who are celebrating recovery. It's a magical thing.
SerenityNowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
danygirl
Mouseketeer

Just wondering. If they have weight watchers onboard too?
danygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: