Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

I think that's a reasonable price....My youngest graduated in 2006 and I'm sure we paid just under $500 for his senior pictures.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I say go for it. I have priced quite a few professional photographers, and what you are describing sounds very reasonable. We also like to get the disk with all the photos, which always costs a couple hundred by itself. Plus the cost of the sitting session, which is usually over an hour of the photographers time. And then the photographer is probably spending 15 - 30 minutes per print to edit the photos. So if there are say 25 different shots, that is 4 - 7 hours of work. That is a lot of time and attention to you as the client. Also, some of these other options don't give you the editing and skill/eye of a professional. To me, these all make it worth the cost.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
disneybride2010
Earning My Ears

Professional photographer opinion

We have been photographing seniors for about 10 years. We average $400 per person. You stated money was not the issue and you are getting the high resolution cd, we hardly ever release rights.

Most clients feel the only time spent on them is when they see us behind the camera. We spend almost 10 hours per client, sometimes more, therefore the cost is not really bad.

Switch hats here, we had a senior last year and have another this year and the final one next year. Our current senior wanted to use another photographer besides us, because "everyone is using them", so we spent almost $600 for her pictures and received much less than your package and the ones we offer. They are only high school seniors once, so splurge away.
disneybride2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Who are you going to give all of those 8 x 10's and 5 x 7's to? I have a 5 x 7 of each of my kids, which I replace every year. My mom gets a 5 x 7, and the IL's get a wallet. I have other family members, but none who really want to display a picture of my kids! Lol!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Who are you going to give all of those 8 x 10's and 5 x 7's to? I have a 5 x 7 of each of my kids, which I replace every year. My mom gets a 5 x 7, and the IL's get a wallet. I have other family members, but none who really want to display a picture of my kids! Lol!
My sisters will want 8x10s. I know several people have said they would not display pictures of their neices and nephews, but that is common in my family. Between my husband and I, we have seven siblings. Some of my other siblings might only want a 5x7, but like I said, when I looked at switching to the package that would have 5x7s, it actually cost the same price for fewer pictures.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybride2010 View Post
We have been photographing seniors for about 10 years. We average $400 per person. You stated money was not the issue and you are getting the high resolution cd, we hardly ever release rights.

Most clients feel the only time spent on them is when they see us behind the camera. We spend almost 10 hours per client, sometimes more, therefore the cost is not really bad.

Switch hats here, we had a senior last year and have another this year and the final one next year. Our current senior wanted to use another photographer besides us, because "everyone is using them", so we spent almost $600 for her pictures and received much less than your package and the ones we offer. They are only high school seniors once, so splurge away.
This also includes the "premium" retouching package, which will even out skin tone, deal with blemishes, whiten teeth and even deal with stray hairs, etc. So I know that it will take a great deal of time and effort to do that, too.

Like I said in another post, I'd probably happily take a package that came with fewer 8x10s and more 5x7s, but given my options, it's not really a better choice, financially.

6 8x10s (DH and I, my MIL, my dad, Aunt #1 and Aunt #2, Uncle #1 That's six right there, and the three aunts/uncles DD is closest to.)

8 5x7s (I can come up with 8 aunts/uncles and great aunts/great uncles off the top of my head that would be thrilled to have these.)

So yeah, I don't think it's a huge number of pictures in that they'd go to waste or anything.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
jgreco
Mouseketeer

I have pictures left over and bought the smallest package for my son. I still paid over $300. People in my family just aren't into "displaying" pictures anymore.
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

It sounds like you have made up your mind that you are pretty happy with your purchase. If photos are important to you then it is a good purchase. Personally I never pay over the $4 a sheet JC Penney deal because I only like the photos I'll be displaying plus a couple of wallets thrown in for Christmas cards. If I were a senior I would rather have the $500 in cash or for a graduation party. But only you & your daughter can know how much you value those photos.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

I didn't read through thread...but IMO, yes that is "overboard." I know we all love our kids, but in all honestly - who really wants pictures of other people's kids? I mean, grandparents, and aunts and uncles excluded...who else really wants them? I love my pics of my kids, and nieces and nephews, but I'm not prone to hanging pictures of anyone elses kids on my fridge.

Six 8 by 10's?! That's alot of large pics.

Do you plan on handing them out to everyone you know? I am asking honestly - not trying to be sarcastic. I just dont' know why one would need that many pics (in all sizes - not just 8x10.)

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm10308 View Post
Since I know the our extended relatives are not going to want 8x10, I only get one for me and one for the grandparents. Then get something smaller for the other relatives.
Agree! I love my nieces and nephews but do not want an 8x10!!!

Last edited by ceecee; 09-12-2012 at 03:16 PM.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
Keep in mind that if you're sending to more than very close friends and very close families - those wallets will end up being thrown out. I mean - who keeps a picture of a 2nd cousin or a neighbor's kid on the frig for more than a month or two?

Then again, I highly doubt I'll send annoucements...Seems like a request for a gift when I get them myself. I do send a gift if I'm close enough to the family to actually get an invite to the gradutation party.
We have thrown so many away! My friend had her daughter's done (4 seasons of poses and with pets and sports memoribilla) lots and lots of poses and it was close to $600. I think that sending annoucements is asking for a gift, so if you don't intend on inviting them to a grad party don't send an annoucement.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

My mom spent over a thousand on my pics, back in 1998. I had a 5 hour session to get all the poses and clothing changes in. She told me that I really won't ever have an experience like it again, with the exception of my wedding day, so she was going to make sure that I had nice pics. We had wall portraits made for my grand parents (they are gone, I have theirs on my bedroom wall), her, and a huge photo book for my parents in addition to several hundred wallents. She didn't regret going balls wild with them and I really think its great to show my kids how Mommy used to look
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

I paid $370 for one framed 11x14, two 5x7s, an 8 opening leather folio, and eight wallets. The wallets will probably end up in the trash, but we couldn't buy ANY package without them and all of the items a la carte would have cost more.

It never occurred to me to purchase anything for announcements, but we don't have anyone to send them to, anyway.
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #29
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Sounds like a reasonable price, just had DD's done and DS four years ago. I got the same package for both of them and the price was about the same for both of them. The photographer gave me a bit of a discount for DD because we got talking and he mentioned he was taking his wife to WDW...I was able to give him a bunch of information and maps and he took off 15%.
I only buy the proff book, 60 wallets, an 8X10 for me a 16X20 for the living room to go opposite the 16X20 baby portrait and 4 5X7 for the grands, my desk at work and DH's desk at work.

Sr portraits are very expensive!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Holy cow!!! My son is graduating 2013 and we just got his proofs and the most expensive package is $52 and that includes names on the wallets and choice of backgrounds. That is only 2 poses but both were very nice. I think some parents need to go to a PTO meeting and ask for the madness to stop. Honestly, you can simply get the CD and have the pictures made anywhere and they will be no different than the studio can make at about 1/20th of the cost.

One question is do the aunts and uncles really want and 8x10 or will they thank you politely and shove it in a box for that expense. Another question is why would you want to retouch your childs face when they are beautiful just the way they are?

Just some thoughts. In the end if you can afford the cost and don't see it as wasteful then go for it but I don't think you would be asking here for opinions if you were not doubtful about the cost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: