Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,331

Sony to announce Full Frame compact RX1

Sony is announcing a mirrorless full frame (same new sensor as the A99 SLT) compact camera with a fixed 35mm f/2 Zeiss lens.

It certainly seems like an expensive, niche product (although I do not think there is any more affordable way to get a full frame with a f/2 prime less than $2800) but could it actually be a useful camera at WDW?

Considering the crop factor, the RX1 is like a 56mm equiv. APSc, and a 70mm equiv micro 4/3 all in a package smaller than a micro 4/3 with prime. It would also be like a 96mm on a J1/RX100.

Sorry for the over enthusiastic preview, but it does include Sony's press release:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...nds-on-report/

__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
 
Hockeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 1,355

Would have been nice if it had inter changeable lenses. I cant wait to see some photos taken with this however along with the A99.
__________________
Theme Park Extraordinaire - Rollercoaster Guru - Husband - Proud Father - Wanna be photographer !

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,055

Sounds like a great camera. It would do very well at Disney.
But anytime you talk about a camera that is $2000+, you're talking about a niche product and a product for professionals.
For that price, an amateur can get a mid level dslr plus 1 or 2 very good lenses.

Although I would guess that this camera will match the IQ of professional dslrs and surpass mid-level dslrs, the lack of interchangeable lenses at that price point would be too hard to swallow.
Where I see the rx100 giving quality of entry-mid level dslrs, with a price point that makes it a good primary camera for some and a good second camera for mid level hobbyists and professionals...
This looks like a camera squarely aimed at advanced high level pros, who already have $20,000 of gear.
It also would be a great camera for a street photographer/artist.

But at that price, with a fixed lens (no matter how good the lens), just doesn't make sense for your typical family users.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
 
Hockeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 1,355

Here is a site that has some test shots of the A99 which shares the same sensor as the RX1. Warning thought the page takes a while to load with all the pictures and it is in Chinese so hard to read any of the details but if you scroll to the pictures at the end they do look pretty darn good

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_643b266c0102dxbs.html
__________________
Theme Park Extraordinaire - Rollercoaster Guru - Husband - Proud Father - Wanna be photographer !

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Considering the crop factor, the RX1 is like a 56mm equiv. APSc, and a 70mm equiv micro 4/3 all in a package smaller than a micro 4/3 with prime. It would also be like a 96mm on a J1/RX100.
I'm short on time this morning so I'm not reading through all the reviews... but if it's a full frame 35mm equivalent sensor then there is no crop factor.

Is it a game changer? Leaf shutter and full frame. I think it will attract the attention of fine art photographers though few will be able to afford it. It's too much $$ for the typical casual shooter who just wants to take snapshots.
__________________
Danielle

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,331

I agree it's a camera with a very limited market... I was just wondering, if you were the type of person to buy the RX1, would it be useable enough (despite the fixed lens) as that person's only camera on a WDW vacation?


I realize full frame is no crop factor...I was just talking about cropping the image so you effectively use less of the sensor (More like a digital zoom). Not a primary use, but you are not losing anything vs smaller sensor formats.
__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
 
Hockeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
I agree it's a camera with a very limited market... I was just wondering, if you were the type of person to buy the RX1, would it be useable enough (despite the fixed lens) as that person's only camera on a WDW vacation?


I realize full frame is no crop factor...I was just talking about cropping the image so you effectively use less of the sensor (More like a digital zoom). Not a primary use, but you are not losing anything vs smaller sensor formats.
Im sure there are people out there that could make the RX1 as there only camera at Disney but I know would miss the versatility of changes lenses that is for sure. Now if I won the lotto I would pick this up in a heartbeat along with 10 other cameras I dream of owning
__________________
Theme Park Extraordinaire - Rollercoaster Guru - Husband - Proud Father - Wanna be photographer !

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Hockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,902

Sure you could go to WDW with a fixed lens camera. Once upon a time primes were the norm and zooms the exception. We all did just fine with them. It's just a different approach to shooting.
__________________
Danielle

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider
 
zackiedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,798

This could be a very specialist camera as a backup/second camera for professional shooters. The leaf shutter can operate in complete silence, so being able to shoot an F2, full-frame, all-manual-control camera in complete silence and in a package that while not pocketable is a massive size reduction over a full-frame DSLR - I could see journalists, wedding photographers, event photographers, etc really liking such a product. The price will keep it in the hands of pros and enthusiasts with specialist needs, or wealthy folks who like cool things and money is not an issue for.

Personally, I'm more interested in the A99 full frame SLT/DSLR body, as that has some nifty claims that could be very interesting if they work as advertised (dual phase-detect AF with full distance control and infinite focus limiter on all lenses, builtin stabilization, 6fps with focus and tracking, dual independent card slots, silent programmable control wheel on front, electronic first-curtain shutter, weather sealed, fully articulated LCD, and tons of controls and customizations).
__________________
zackiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
This could be a very specialist camera as a backup/second camera for professional shooters. The leaf shutter can operate in complete silence, so being able to shoot an F2, full-frame, all-manual-control camera in complete silence and in a package that while not pocketable is a massive size reduction over a full-frame DSLR - I could see journalists, wedding photographers, event photographers, etc really liking such a product. The price will keep it in the hands of pros and enthusiasts with specialist needs, or wealthy folks who like cool things and money is not an issue for.

Personally, I'm more interested in the A99 full frame SLT/DSLR body, as that has some nifty claims that could be very interesting if they work as advertised (dual phase-detect AF with full distance control and infinite focus limiter on all lenses, builtin stabilization, 6fps with focus and tracking, dual independent card slots, silent programmable control wheel on front, electronic first-curtain shutter, weather sealed, fully articulated LCD, and tons of controls and customizations).
If I had a much more significant budget, the A99 would be of interest.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
njtree
Mouseketeer
 
njtree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 83

The a99 is nice. I am really interested in "real user" low light photography. Not professional/ads to show the camera off. I shoot with a A33- would of like to get the A77. But features of the a99 out beat it. 1 thing I was wondering was a77- in the front dial was the micro focus adjustment. Is that even on the A99. I didn't see it. Still looking around for a A99 manual.pdf seem I can't locate it.

Why I like the a99 is that is big. I have big hands and the A33 feels like a point and shoot to me with 35mm lens on it.

-Dan
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider
 
zackiedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 2,798

The A99 still has microfocus adjustment.

I agree the two outstanding questions for me are how the A99 handles low light, and how well the tracking AF works. I'm quite happy with my A580, but would consider the A99 as a future upgrade idea...I'm still preferring OVFs to EVFs for my DSLRs, but having used an EVF for almost a year on my NEX, I know I could get around that issue if I had to. Getting at some of the controls and speed/performance features is tempting on the A99.
__________________
zackiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
havoc315
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,055

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
The A99 still has microfocus adjustment.

I agree the two outstanding questions for me are how the A99 handles low light, and how well the tracking AF works. I'm quite happy with my A580, but would consider the A99 as a future upgrade idea...I'm still preferring OVFs to EVFs for my DSLRs, but having used an EVF for almost a year on my NEX, I know I could get around that issue if I had to. Getting at some of the controls and speed/performance features is tempting on the A99.
If you upgrade to the A99, maybe I'd buy your A580 body from you. My A100 is so dated.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 9,048

I've been following some of the boards about the A99. My big wish for the A850 is an articulating screen so it's tempting. Actually getting more FPS would be nice but I knew what I was getting there or I would have gotten the A900 at the time. And it seems like it may have about a 1 stop improvement in high ISO so another plus. And finally - the ability to use both card slots in tandem!!!!! I also am interested to see how the additional focus feature works since I do have many of the lenses that are/will be supported for it to function. And the focus limiter - nice! For the moment I'm waiting but I may be doing some consolidating of cameras.

The other interesting announcement to me is the retractable 16-50mm for the NEX. That looks very appealing to be able to have some zoom in a more compact package.

The RX1 is very cool technically, but not something I need. I do know someone that it would be perfect for though so it ought to have its niche to fill.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
SplashMo
DIS Veteran
 
SplashMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,239

I would use the RX1 if I had one. Not sure I would spend the money on it though...

With the SONY A99 some of the features require new lenses which has some folks up in a roar. Just something to check before purchasing...
__________________
Spash Mountain!!!!
SplashMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.