DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

First time using DVC at WDW: Any "pre-plans" we're missing?

Hi All,

We have used our points, but not yet at WDW. Soon, we will be going "home" for the first time since we bought and we are excited.

We have put in a request for room location.
We have booked our ADRs and are contemplating adding Disney Dining Plan.
We have been educated on towel and trash and know what we want to add.

What else should we be doing since we are staying DVC that we are not thinking about that is different than staying as a cash guest?

If it matters, we have a studio at AKV and are two adults, no kids.

Thanks everyone,
Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 09-12-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Bring or buy something for a grocery store?
A studio has only a kitchenette, but you can order snacks, milk and cereals, coffee (the supply given is limited), bottled water or some adult beverage.

You can order online for delivery, or stop at a grocery store if you travel by car or rent one.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

didn't see how long you would be staying, but hope you have a nice first trip home.

if you need to do some laundry or wash out the bathing suits, you might want to consider bringing some of the all-in-one laundry sheets from home. i got some at Target. you'll get a resort map upon check-in & can use the laundry facilities.

definitely pick up some groceries, even with a studio you have small fridge & microwave, so you can head back to room for snacks or a light meal. but then don't forget to add paper plates, cups, & plasticware to your list.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Be sure you allot time to do nothing. You can over schedule yourselves. You will be coming back, so do not think you have to do it all everytime, it takes most people a little time to figure this out.

AKL is a very nice resort for just exploring the resort, looking at the displays, and of course checking out the animals.

Also, let me be the fist to day: Home
Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
albarellic
Mouseketeer

Did you book ME (if you're using it)? We're using our membership for the first time in Jan. and I booked ME yesterday (never had to do it myself since we went through a TA on our previuos trips).
albarellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Disney Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavandor View Post
Bring or buy something for a grocery store?
A studio has only a kitchenette, but you can order snacks, milk and cereals, coffee (the supply given is limited), bottled water or some adult beverage.

You can order online for delivery, or stop at a grocery store if you travel by car or rent one.
We don't usually buy groceries when on vacation, but we have talked about buying some waters since that is my drink of choice (not a soda drinker). We won't have a car. If we do decide to do a small delivery, do you know what company do most do this through? We saw the DVC grocery order form, but it seemed overpriced. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
didn't see how long you would be staying, but hope you have a nice first trip home.

if you need to do some laundry or wash out the bathing suits, you might want to consider bringing some of the all-in-one laundry sheets from home. i got some at Target. you'll get a resort map upon check-in & can use the laundry facilities.

definitely pick up some groceries, even with a studio you have small fridge & microwave, so you can head back to room for snacks or a light meal. but then don't forget to add paper plates, cups, & plasticware to your list.
It's a 6 day trip (grrr work!), but we are looking forward to it. Thanks for the kind wishes. Thanks for the reminder on the plasticware! We don't plan on doing much cooking in the room, but having a few forks and knives around is never a bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Be sure you allot time to do nothing. You can over schedule yourselves. You will be coming back, so do not think you have to do it all everytime, it takes most people a little time to figure this out.

AKL is a very nice resort for just exploring the resort, looking at the displays, and of course checking out the animals.

Also, let me be the fist to day: Home
Oh, that's part of why we LOVE staying at AK. Even when we are "doing nothing," as long as we are doing it staring at animals, we are doing something! Last trip the pesky little giraffes enjoyed hiding from me! This trip, I WILL see them more. I will, I will, I will! Thanks for the Welcome Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albarellic View Post
Did you book ME (if you're using it)? We're using our membership for the first time in Jan. and I booked ME yesterday (never had to do it myself since we went through a TA on our previuos trips).
Ah, Magical Express! Thanks for mentioning it. We have not done it yet, but it is on the list and will be done very soon. Great reminder.

So, anything else that is special to DVC that we need to do that we might not know? Any other "first DVC visit" thoughts for us that you wish you knew or can't believe we may not know? Any and all are welcomed and appreciated!

OH! Question! I read somewhere on DIS about a DVC reception of sorts? How do we find out about these? We were not on a "list" on our cruise when we went with points and missed out on special DVC gatherings. How do we find out about them at WDW/AKV?

Thanks,
Dreams

Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
debbiedoo
DIS Veteran

A good site to order groceries is. http://www.gardengrocer.com/.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see. Leonardo da Vinci
debbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Disney Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedoo View Post
A good site to order groceries is. http://www.gardengrocer.com/.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks!

Any more "first time DVC" tips, anyone?

- Dreams

Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
castleri
DIS Veteran

If you are not planning on a lot of cooking you may just want to buy at the gift shop. We bought a gallon of water and refilled water bottles with it. By the time you pay to have groceries delivered it may work out to be about the same price unless you are having adult beverages delivered. Last year a 6 pack of beer at the gift shop was $15 while eggs were about the same price we paid at home. The best thing about DVC is you can take things slower and in a more relaxed manner ince you know you will be back again Be sure to read your portable perks info so you can possibly benefit from some discounts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: