Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Son about to start photography school in Boston, ID on expensive camera?

He is very excited to start NESOP in Boston and will be purchasing the Nikon D800 (over 3K$) Anyway, does anyone have any ID suggestions to mark the camera with? He is insisting that it is a ridiculous idea, he doesn't want to put anything like that on his camera. But I'm kind of petrified that something could happen to it and it'll be gone for good. Suggestions please? Am I being ludicrous here or does it make good sense?

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
digitalsiren
Mouseketeer

If it is a light colored camera, you can write his name and phone # with a sharpie and if it is darker, you could scratch the info on it. Personally, I wouldn't do it as those I know who have gone to photography school and continued on in the field upgrade by selling their old equipment. It truly depends on your son being responsible with the equipment and preventing theft (like don't have a carrying bag with logos and have a camera strap). I would put a name/# on the memory card as well as taped inside the battery door just in case it gets misplaced. Insuring it is also an option.
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Very good advice, thanks so much!

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
tlseege
Earning My Ears

I would just update the metadata for the camera with his name and number and copywrite information. If someone tries to print pictures, they won't let him and hopefully will contact your son.

tlseege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
He is very excited to start NESOP in Boston and will be purchasing the Nikon D800 (over 3K$) Anyway, does anyone have any ID suggestions to mark the camera with? He is insisting that it is a ridiculous idea, he doesn't want to put anything like that on his camera. But I'm kind of petrified that something could happen to it and it'll be gone for good. Suggestions please? Am I being ludicrous here or does it make good sense?
Register the camera with the manufactuer. It will tie the serial number to his name. Make sure you have the serial number recorded for your own records. And check with the local police to find out what thier preferred method of identification on electronics is. Some have the bar code things, some have other methods. It varies. But do put identification on it. It will help if it's stolen and they try to pawn it.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
njtree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Register the camera with the manufactuer. It will tie the serial number to his name. Make sure you have the serial number recorded for your own records. And check with the local police to find out what thier preferred method of identification on electronics is. Some have the bar code things, some have other methods. It varies. But do put identification on it. It will help if it's stolen and they try to pawn it.
^^^^^^that. like was said write in on the battery door, on the battery, ID tag on the strap. If he shoots with a battery grip. Put it on the grip and sandwich between the camera and grip. Most thefts wouldn't know grip can be taken off. They just want money in some way.

-Dan
njtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
alloyd1170
DIS Veteran

First off, he will have to treat the camera like a baby. Never set it down and walk away, don't leave it out in the open in his room/hotel/etc. If it does disappear, he'd be very lucky to get it back in this day and age. HOwever, there are good samaritans still out there.

Take a picture of him holding up a large card with his contact info on it. Save it on the memory card (every card for that matter) and lock that frame so it can't be deleted. If there is internal memory, save it there too. Putting your info on the memory card might help (might get just the card back, maybe the camera too). Registering it with the manufacturer is another thing to do like photo chick said. And a few years ago, I remember our police department recommened an id system. If I remember right, you got a bottle of a liquid. You put a few drops all over your valuables. In each drop were small codes that you registered to your name. The drops dried and the codes remained stuck to the device. They couldn't be easily detected unless you knew to look for them (which the police and pawn shops knew to do to find stolen goods). Wish I could remember the name of it!

'73 (CR) My 1st trip @ 3- '80's (CR & FWC) Many family trips-'00 (GF) Disneyana Convention-'00 (GF) DH 1st /Mom's last trip -2/03 (CR) DS's 1st trip @ 1-1/04 (CR) Family trip-9/06 (CR) DD's 1st trip @ 15 mos-2/07 Roughing it @ FWC-9/07 (GF) Here we come again- 7/08 (SSR) DD's 3rd bday- 7/09 (SSR) DD's 4th bday-7/10 (SSR) DD's 5th bday - 4/11 (SSR) DD dancing @ the World-
alloyd1170 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: