DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Anyone ever had to use work skills at DVC?

Got to thinking tonight about the times I have been on vacation and had to use my working skills, to help a fellow vacationer. I am/have been a Information Technology worker and firefighter/EMT.
At VB, took the pulse/respirations rates of fellow traveler who was not feeling well before CMs arrived.
At AKL, helped get wired internet up for neighbor.
On a DCL, helped cruiser who fell on the stairs and turned her ankle to a chair and got some ice for her.
At SAB, helped lost child find his parents.
I am sure there are others, let's here your stories:
mechanic who repaired a car
a doctor/paramedic who performed CPR
a teacher who did some unscheduled teaching
a mother who took care of someone's child.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I have an Operations Research degree. This basically means I know way too much about queuing strategies and optimizing systems. I can't help but think about and appreciate how Disney moves so many people through the parks so efficiently. I haven't necessarily 'used' my work skills so much as they taunt me while I'm at the parks and i find myself wondering about things like the percentage of Fast Pass ticket returns and such.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I was just talking to a friend when we were on a plane Sunday and she mentioned she witnessed a medical emergency for the first time (she flies weekly for work) and we both noted that you never see a legal emergency. We're both lawyers. Then we spent the next 15 minutes trying to imagine what scenerio would require a pilot to ask if there was a lawyer in the house. We didn't come up with any real ones but a lot of funny ones.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Shleedogg
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine I'll ever use my work skills at wdw. I'm the assistant director of a small local history museum. Like the pp, I can't imagine a pilot saying "is there a historian on the plane?". Lol. Good thread!

Shleedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

Psychologist here. I guess I use some people skills when I explain fast pass to the clueless, or maybe I shouldn't. I often give park directions too, but I'm not sure that's a psychological skill unless you label it spatial memory.

Just remembered -- I did hold a girl's hand throughout the old Alien Encounter -- she was about 10 and completely overwhelmed by the experience and her family didn't seem to care, and I guess I have talked many folks through their first ride on Tower of Terror.

Last edited by dgaston; 09-12-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added story re: terrifed girl
dgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
majortom1981
Mouseketeer

I am an IT guy also. I have never had to use those skills at the world BUT I use my disney world knowledge all the time.

Every visit without fail I help people with the best times to go to the magic kingdom ., where things are and other things. Usually I help one person then a line forms at me with people asking me advice.

I have also helped some of the african guides at akl do some programs and things.
majortom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I have had to use my accounting skills to split large group dinner bills... does that count? LOL!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I have had to use my accounting skills to split large group dinner bills... does that count? LOL!
yeah, it's funny; no one ever wants to create a budget while on vacation. ...especially my DW and DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
...and we both noted that you never see a legal emergency. We're both lawyers. ...
Well, when that guy gets asked to leave the plane due to public intoxication or is dragged from the plane screaming about terrorists, well then is your time to shine!
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Well, when that guy gets asked to leave the plane due to public intoxication or is dragged from the plane screaming about terrorists, well then is your time to shine!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

I'm a licensed social worker who works in geriatrics. If there is anyone around over the age of 85, they usually end up talking to me about any problem or issues that may arise. Whether at a bus stop, on the bus, on a boat heading the MK, I seem to be the one counseling the older folks.
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
moobar25
Mouseketeer

I'm an Environmental Chemist so my skills aren't very useful at WDW. Though I could take some samples of the lakes and analyze them at the lab. Then I could tell everyone exactly why you shouldn't swim in them.
BLT 1/15, BCV/BLT 9/14, BC 8/14 Villains, AKV-CL/BCV 5/14, BWV/OKW 3/14 Anniversary, BC-CL/BLT/BWV 11/13 Wine & Dine Marathon, BLT/BCV 9/13 Family Reunion, YC-CL 6/13 Star Wars, BCV/BLT 1/13 Birthday Surprise, BLT/BCV 10/12 DH Birthday, BCV 5/12 Baby's 1st trip, AKV 5/11, BWV 5/10, SSR 9/08, BCV 5/08, BCV 5/07, VWL 5/05 Honeymoon

moobar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

I sell natural gas, electricity, and oil so I dont think my job would ever NEED to come out while in the parks but I do find myself looking around at all the lights wondering how much electricity they use and what their load must look like. Crazy what our jobs make us do LOL.

My boyfriend used to sell highend molding so he always likes to tell me what is the cheap stuff and what disney actually splurged on which is interesting.
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

IT gal here... I cringe at the thought of having to go techie on vacation. That said, I have 'guided' a few lost CMs with server issues, pass upgrades (between hints I got here and from my son who sold them during his CP) and even camera settings. I never tell them I'm a techie ... just a happy guest with a few helpful comments
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobar25 View Post
I'm an Environmental Chemist so my skills aren't very useful at WDW. Though I could take some samples of the lakes and analyze them at the lab. Then I could tell everyone exactly why you shouldn't swim in them.
My DH is a microbiologist for the state. His job is to assure that public water systems have clean drinking water. He keeps wanting to take samples out of the tap to get the sulfur levels.

He's also thought about retiring from the state and testing the water at Disney.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Got to thinking tonight about the times I have been on vacation and had to use my working skills, to help a fellow vacationer. I am/have been a Information Technology worker and firefighter/EMT.
Interesting idea, and I'm sure this thread will draw some interesting responses.
Quote:
At VB, took the pulse/respirations rates of fellow traveler who was not feeling well before CMs arrived.
Hmmmm. Florida has a very good Good Samaritan law, but if you're transferring a patient to CM's, you'd better be really careful about abandonment issues. If you are currently certified/licensed, and they're not (and they're not), you'd better wait for professional help -- not only for the patient's benefit, but also to be sure your backside is well-covered.

Quote:
On a DCL, helped cruiser who fell on the stairs and turned her ankle to a chair and got some ice for her.
I'm also an EMT, and I ride with Rescue pretty regularly (most recently yesterday 7A-7P), so I have some experience. I have not had an occasion to use those skills on vacation, but I often do at home.

My daughter figure skates, so I'm always "saving lives" at the rink. I also seem to be a bit of a traffic crash/trauma alert magnet when off-duty. Not sure how that happens -- I drive my daughter to school, some drunk totals his car, a palm tree, and his pelvis, a block from my house; I go to a ball game, and a 9 year-old kid falls 30 feet from a rock-climbing wall onto concrete. I'm getting afraid to go out of the house. I go to work to rest!
Quote:
I am sure there are others, let's here your stories:

a mother who took care of someone's child.
I'd bet the most common usage of our skills are our most important skills -- parenting, and being just plain folks. I'm sure all of us do something like calming a frightened kid, giving directions, or taking group shots of families in front of the castle.

Should be some great responses, and a great thread!
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: