Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
There are as many insect repllents out there as there are insects. Those with DEET, those without, those that are completely natural, etc. There really is very little excuse not to use something. Even AVON Skin so Soft will help keep them away. I would find it hard to believe that there was nothing this mom could use to keep at least some mosquitos off her child.

West Nile and EEE aren't the only issues. There is also the problem of the bites getting infected. A skin infection can develop into something nasty.

So, even if the mother couldn't prevent the bites in the first place, she certainly should have taken care of them afterwards. There are plenty of things that will help the itching and once the bites are scratched open, she should have put antibiotic cream on them. I mean think about how dirty most kids nails are and now the child is scratching an open sore with all that dirt!!

I understand what you are saying, but seriously there are people out there that no matter what you use it will not help. You said that even the threat of getting infected is a problem. Putting chemicals into an open wound would cause me problem and the same may be for this little girl. If the child was sick, lethargic, not playing with the other children then I could understand the worry. I believe the OP said the child was running around have a good time with the other children and the mother who actually has the final say at this point did not feel the need to use it.

Also, if we go to the "all kids are dirty". So a child with just one cut/bite could be far sicker than this child if the bite/wound was not taken care of.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #62
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
I understand what you are saying, but seriously there are people out there that no matter what you use it will not help. You said that even the threat of getting infected is a problem. Putting chemicals into an open wound would cause me problem and the same may be for this little girl. If the child was sick, lethargic, not playing with the other children then I could understand the worry. I believe the OP said the child was running around have a good time with the other children and the mother who actually has the final say at this point did not feel the need to use it.

Also, if we go to the "all kids are dirty". So a child with just one cut/bite could be far sicker than this child if the bite/wound was not taken care of.
Surely there is something that you are able to use to prevent skin infections?

Why should it wait until the child feels sick and lethargic? That's sort of the point of prevention. Just because she wasn't feeling sick that day wouldn't mean she wouldn't be sick the next day.

If absolutely nothing would prevent my child from getting 100 bites on her, then she would be in the house when the mosquitos come out; plain and simple. That WILL prevent most if not all.

And if antibiotic creams could not be used on her, then the chance of infection would be reduced by doing something about the itching.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Why should it wait until the child feels sick and lethargic? That's sort of the point of prevention. Just because she wasn't feeling sick that day wouldn't mean she wouldn't be sick the next day.

If absolutely nothing would prevent my child from getting 100 bites on her, then she would be in the house when the mosquitos come out; plain and simple. That WILL prevent most if not all.

And if antibiotic creams could not be used on her, then the chance of infection would be reduced by doing something about the itching.
What you and the OP don't seem to understand is that sometimes the risk associated with the chemicals or creams or lotions outweighs any possible benefit it could offer. If you have ever had a child covered in severe eczema because of a reaction from a product you might understand why some parents don't use them..especially if the have found that using them provides little to no protect but results in a horrific, painful skin rash they are going to pick no spray and risk the bites. Do you think I introduce my child as "the kids who get terrible hives, eczema and other painful skin reactions from common skin products?" Of course not..as it is also possible this Mom feels her reasons for not using the product are hers and leaves it at "she doesn't like it" to the neighbor lady.

The bottom line to me is that the only person who knows what is best for this child is her mother. The OP and none of us on this board know enough about this child and her health, skin reactions, sensitivities..etc to determine what should be done..only her mother does and her mother made a choice for her child.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:

Yes I can use items for infections. I am speaking of the bites and what may cause them to get infected. I do not believe it was stated that the bites were infected. Just the fact that the child had numerous bites. I can relate to that part of the thread as it affects me. There are no products that stop me from getting the bites but if you spray me with chemicals I am going to be in pain from that product, much more pain than from the actual mosquito bite.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #65
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

I don't understand why some people are assuming that the mom did nothing to take care of the bites afterward. There's no reason to assume they were infected, or that she didn't put antibiotic cream on the bites. Nor is there reason to assume she didn't put calamine or something similar on them. We know the child apparently scratches a great deal at school, but of course most schools have rules that would prevent the child from reapplying anything while she's there, so it's entirely possible she does use products that help some of the time.

I had to laugh at the earlier mention of Skin So Soft. I bought several different types of that earlier this summer and I've been applying it religiously every day. I was in a rush one day last week and didn't use it and I honestly couldn't tell any difference in the number of bites I got without it. The thing that works best for me is an awful, strong smelling mix of oils which I hate, but I do use it when I have to be out for any length of time. Even that doesn't keep me from getting bitten, sadly.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #66
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
What you and the OP don't seem to understand is that sometimes the risk associated with the chemicals or creams or lotions outweighs any possible benefit it could offer. If you have ever had a child covered in severe eczema because of a reaction from a product you might understand why some parents don't use them..especially if the have found that using them provides little to no protect but results in a horrific, painful skin rash they are going to pick no spray and risk the bites. Do you think I introduce my child as "the kids who get terrible hives, eczema and other painful skin reactions from common skin products?" Of course not..as it is also possible this Mom feels her reasons for not using the product are hers and leaves it at "she doesn't like it" to the neighbor lady.

The bottom line to me is that the only person who knows what is best for this child is her mother. The OP and none of us on this board know enough about this child and her health, skin reactions, sensitivities..etc to determine what should be done..only her mother does and her mother made a choice for her child.
Both of my granddaughters have eczema.

We use natural products to prevent mosquito bites and make sure they are not outside in the mornings or late evenings when the mosquitos are at their worst. Not all repellent contains "chemicals".

Its not impossible to prevent at least most bites.

Mothers don't always make good choices. I can't say that every choice I ever made was always the right one and neither can any other mother. I certainly hope this isn't a case of purposely neglecting their child but that doesn't make her choices the best for her child.

Quote:
Yes I can use items for infections. I am speaking of the bites and what may cause them to get infected. I do not believe it was stated that the bites were infected. Just the fact that the child had numerous bites. I can relate to that part of the thread as it affects me. There are no products that stop me from getting the bites but if you spray me with chemicals I am going to be in pain from that product, much more pain than from the actual mosquito bite.
If the child continues to scratch the bites to the point of scabs, there will be infection. Anyone that sprays a chemical on an open sore is going to have pain and burning. Which is why the bites should not be allowed to be scratched to that point.

Antibiotic creams can and should be used on an open sore (especially one that is constantly being scratched with dirty fingernails) to prevent infection not just after infection occurs.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #67
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
I don't understand why some people are assuming that the mom did nothing to take care of the bites afterward. There's no reason to assume they were infected, or that she didn't put antibiotic cream on the bites. Nor is there reason to assume she didn't put calamine or something similar on them. We know the child apparently scratches a great deal at school, but of course most schools have rules that would prevent the child from reapplying anything while she's there, so it's entirely possible she does use products that help some of the time.

I had to laugh at the earlier mention of Skin So Soft. I bought several different types of that earlier this summer and I've been applying it religiously every day. I was in a rush one day last week and didn't use it and I honestly couldn't tell any difference in the number of bites I got without it. The thing that works best for me is an awful, strong smelling mix of oils which I hate, but I do use it when I have to be out for any length of time. Even that doesn't keep me from getting bitten, sadly.
Skin so Soft works great for any of us except dd. Its the only thing DH uses.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #68
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We use natural products to prevent mosquito bites and make sure they are not outside in the mornings or late evenings when the mosquitos are at their worst. Not all repellent contains "chemicals".

Mothers don't always make good choices. I can't say that every choice I ever made was always the right one and neither can any other mother. I certainly hope this isn't a case of purposely neglecting their child but that doesn't make her choices the best for her child.

If the child continues to scratch the bites to the point of scabs, there will be infection. Anyone that sprays a chemical on an open sore is going to have pain and burning. Which is why the bites should not be allowed to be scratched to that point.

Antibiotic creams can and should be used on an open sore (especially one that is constantly being scratched with dirty fingernails) to prevent infection not just after infection occurs.
That's great for YOUR grandaughters and their eczema. My kids skin is so sensitive BABY LOTION will result in horrific itchy rashes...so tell me again what I should be putting on MY kids skin based on what you put on your granddaughters skin. They are not the same and it is not comparable..it's great there is a product that works for them..my kids are so sensitive I can't even use baby products on them or children's products without them developing eczema or hives (hives happen a lot with washes and shampoos). As a parent I know what is safe and not safe for my kids..I know what will result in rashes and hives and you and nobody else does..that is the point I am trying to make to you. Unless you are the child's mother and know all the details about her you have no right determining what she "should" do based on what works for someone else.

Again..this mother knows her child and knows what is best for her child..just as I know my child and I know what is best and safest for them. What works for your granddaughters, friend, aunt, kid or cousin isn't necessarily safe or appropriate for someone else.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #69
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Skin so Soft works great for any of us except dd. Its the only thing DH uses.
Yeah, my mom and mother-in-law both swear by it. Apparently it works really well for both of them so I had high hopes for it. I hate using the other stuff that works for me - it's thick and oily and a pain to wash off, and I hate smelling like it. I prefer Skin So Soft but for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to help me much. It does seem to work fairly well for my husband and son, at least, so I don't regret buying it.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #70
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

Quote:

Do you mean neosporin/bacitracin? Or an actual, prescription antibiotic cream? My daughter was prescribed a cream for her infected bites, but that wouldn't be prophylactic. At least, our dr wouldn't prescribe it as such. That's why we have MRSA bugs, because of the overuse of antibiotics. They aren't preventatives.

But, we don't know that they child was in that kind of pain anyway. With my daughter, like I previously posted, she has an allergy to mosquitoes, so the bites immediately swell and blister, the blister pops (with or without her scratching, simply by coming in contact with other surfaces), opens her up to the risk of infection. We don't treat the bites with antibiotic cream until they are infected, and for that her dr does a culture.

Quote:
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. I get bit no matter what I have on. Deet, Deet-free, the new miracle, the old wives remedies, all of them.

Some people just get bit up! Even in their homes. There could be one mosquito brought into the house from the kids leaving the doors open. It will sit, wait, and then attack when I fall asleep. Spiders also.

As for the itching. Nothing but Benadryl works for me, but I would be 100% out of it 100% of the time. I try to ignore, but yes I itch.

I am in the camp that it is really none of your business. You offered nicely and the child rejected it nicely. Time to move on.

The Dis has led me to believe that CPS workers will never be a dying job option though.
Sounds like my youngest. She was bitten up with 11 bites in one night while she was in bed sleeping. All over her legs, and she also had long PJ pants on. No one else in the house got even one bite. We moved her to another bedroom thinking maybe that would help, nope, still got bites. And again, no one else. And she was in her brother's room and he was fine.

Also nothing helps with the itch for her. Since she is allergic, the reaction is worse than a bite in normal people. Benedryl and Cortisone take the edge off, but you can also only use those creams on so much of your body at once, so when she had 21 bites we were sorta out of luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #71
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Simple wounds in a healthy person do not need antibiotic cream! soap and water will do just fine. That is why so many super bugs exist today the over use of antibiotics, and antibiotic cream is just that and contributing to this.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #72
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
That's great for YOUR grandaughters and their eczema. My kids skin is so sensitive BABY LOTION will result in horrific itchy rashes...so tell me again what I should be putting on MY kids skin based on what you put on your granddaughters skin. They are not the same and it is not comparable..it's great there is a product that works for them..my kids are so sensitive I can't even use baby products on them or children's products without them developing eczema or hives (hives happen a lot with washes and shampoos). As a parent I know what is safe and not safe for my kids..I know what will result in rashes and hives and you and nobody else does..that is the point I am trying to make to you. Unless you are the child's mother and know all the details about her you have no right determining what she "should" do based on what works for someone else.

Again..this mother knows her child and knows what is best for her child..just as I know my child and I know what is best and safest for them. What works for your granddaughters, friend, aunt, kid or cousin isn't necessarily safe or appropriate for someone else.
And not allowing her daughter outside when the mosquitos are at thier worst is going to somehow effect this child's skin?

There is prevention that doesn't include putting anything on the skin.

I never said anything about what YOU should do. Everyone keeps saying "she can't do this about the bites" but she "can't do that about the scratching" and she "can't do this about the sores". If she really can do nothing about any of it than she dang well should keep her child in the house.

You are assuming that this parent can't possibly prevent these bites based on YOUR experience. But, if someone else states their own experience you want to jump and yell--seriously?

You have no idea why this child is covered in bites. Just maybe she doesn't want to fight with the child about the spray. You know, like those parents that don't want to fight with their child about food? There are parents that are just lazy parents and would rather deal with (or not deal with) the bites than deal with making the child put the spray on.

BTW, I don't believe this is a case for CPS and I certainly would not call.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #73
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhat View Post
Do you mean neosporin/bacitracin? Or an actual, prescription antibiotic cream?
Yes neosporin, not prescription.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #74
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And not allowing her daughter outside when the mosquitos are at thier worst is going to somehow effect this child's skin?

There is prevention that doesn't include putting anything on the skin.

I never said anything about what YOU should do. Everyone keeps saying "she can't do this about the bites" but she "can't do that about the scratching" and she "can't do this about the sores". If she really can do nothing about any of it than she dang well should keep her child in the house.

You are assuming that this parent can't possibly prevent these bites based on YOUR experience. But, if someone else states their own experience you want to jump and yell--seriously?

You have no idea why this child is covered in bites. Just maybe she doesn't want to fight with the child about the spray. You know, like those parents that don't want to fight with their child about food? There are parents that are just lazy parents and would rather deal with (or not deal with) the bites than deal with making the child put the spray on.

BTW, I don't believe this is a case for CPS and I certainly would not call.
No my issue is that you seem to think you know the solution...my point has been from the start that the MOTHER of this child knows what is best..not the OP who can't possibly be privy to the details of this girls life and health and what works or doesn't work. My point is also trying to point that that just because X Y or Z worked for someones kid, nephew, friend, uncle or aunt doesn't mean it is safe or appropriate for the next person and a lot of assumptions to me are being made here that "something" should be used because there is something out there and that just might not be the case for some people.

Goodness knows if the Mom kept the kid in some poster would be saying "this neighborhood Mom doesn't let her kid out and play..is that neglect/abuse?". Darned either way IMO.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #75
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
No need for the sarcasm. While obviously EEE and WNV was around when I was young, it wasn't as bad as it is today.

I think that was already mentioned by someone who pointed out the decreased use of pesticides...

Oh and if I offered calamine or other solution as you put it, I really would be called a busy body. Can you imagine the field day some people on Dis would have with this? I can hear it now...

When you know better you should do better!
No sarcasm.
According to the CDC, there are an average of 5-10 cases of EEEV in humans annually; according to another source, this started in 1938. Also according to the CDC, there have been 639 cases of Western Equine Encephalitis since 1964 - so under 14 cases per year. And a third site shows 2,636 (or 2,632) cases of West Nile Virus in the United States in 2012. Almost half - 1,057 - are/were in Texas. WNV has only been here since 1999, so, okay, it wasn't an issue when we were younger.

Still. While the .0008867 chance that the girl in question could end up with a moosquito-borne illness may be too risky for some, to me it would be more compassionate and less judgmental to offer a solution to her existing - not her potential - situation. You can't stop this hundred or so mosquitoes that already bit her from having done that, and offering the mother insect repellent (and then asking here if she's being neglectful) already opens you to criticism.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: