Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #31
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

No, I do not think its neglect or endangerment.

Is your 8 yo saying she is scratching all day in school? Sometimes information from little people is geared to what they think adults want to hear or have heard you talk about. It may not be as bad as 'all day'.

The little girl is going to school and is seen everyday by mandatory reporters. They are obligated to call CPS if they feel there is a need. They have been trained for that type of thing. Unless I saw infection that has spread and mom says she is not going to take her to the dr, abuse in some form I would not. Honestly, my heart breaks for the little girl who sounds like she not only has emotional issues (stated in OP) that make her different but now she looks a little different with bug bites she may be compulsively scratching. Compulsive behavior, such as scratching, may be part of the problem. She looks worse than it is because she can not stop compulsive behavior.

But no, I would rely on teachers and the school nurse to make the call as they are more in tune and have more information that OP has regarding the little girl and her family dynamics.

Kelly
kellyg403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #32
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
When I lived in Texas my friend took her dd camping she must of been around 4. She got quite a few mosquito bites and the daycare she went to ended up calling cps on her. AND she didn't have nearly that many as 100.
So no I don't think it is child abuse but I do think it is dumb not to try to protect your child. If you don't like bug spray use one of those off things.

AND as I say that my kids hate bug spray. It is a fight.
Calling CPS because a kid had bug bites?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
Wow it only took 14 posts to start the name calling.

I hardly "counseled" the women. I simply offered in the same way you would offer a drink if everyone in the area was partaking in a beverage. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

While I don't think it warrants a call to CPS, I do wonder what some parents are thinking. Really imagine what 100 swollen and scabbed bites actually looks like. The poor child looks and seems miserable!!!

I guess I am in the minority to be concerned for her health and the fact that she is probably suffering with the need to scratch all day. Perhaps it is unreasonable to think that her parent would try and lessen any distraction so that she could concentrate at school or more importantly try and keep her safe from potential illness.
I understand where you are coming from but I am not really sure it is neglect or endangerment. I do know that my DS went to his first soccer practice, I didn't see the memo about mosquitoes, he came home and had at least 20 bites on each leg below the knee. Those darn things bit through his soccer socks. Because it kept him up all night and I didn't want more, I covered him in bug spray and also the outside of his socks. I think a parent is somewhat crazy not to put it on, if they are going to be outside and they mosquitoes are biting, but some are so afraid of a little chemical help that they don't. I will take chemicals over night s of not sleeping, infection from scratching or impetigo, but that is me. I did read somewhere that they hate garlic, so maybe tell the mom to feed her kid garlic bread or pizza before going outside, very few kids hate those things. lol. OH and also, I don't care what my kid hates or doesn't hate, mine hate sunscreen but I darn sure don't let them spend hours at the beach without it. Well my oldest did at 15, he learned his lesson.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultana

I think the name calling already started in the title of this thread...
No need at all to say the parents are neglecting or endangering this girl.

I know what 100s of mosquito bites look and feel like, because I'm one of those lucky persons the mosquitos LOVE and have had that already multiple times.
The girl will survive, just as I did.
Umm, No name calling in the title. I asked a question. Maybe if I actually called her an ignorant careless neglectful mother, you would have a leg to stand on. But, asking a question is hardly name calling.

While I know that all those bites are not considered real endangerment by CPS standards. I do scratch my head sometimes when I see things like this.

Also to compare the mindset of "back when I was young" is silly! A lot of things were different when I was young. Infected mosquitos were not an issue. We all rolled around the back of a station wagon (no seat belts), no bike helmets etc.

Knowing the situation more than you all, seeing this child throughout the summer, speaking with the mom and knowing the child... It still strikes me as odd and neglectful to not at least try and protect the child from mosquito bites.

Keep her in after dusk. Long sleeves or pants if you are apposed to spray, DEET free or otherwise. Most organized sports around here end before dusk for the same reason.

AND there are all natural DEET free sprays. I have used them and they DO work. You might still get a bite or two, but you don't get eaten alive. Tryst me, I have a DD who apparently is delicious.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #35
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

That's disgusting. I think it's neglect and endangerment, but that's the mom in me talking. Whether it is legally, I have no idea.

Who does that? I feel really bad for the poor child.

Stupid should hurt.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #36
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
When I lived in Texas my friend took her dd camping she must of been around 4. She got quite a few mosquito bites and the daycare she went to ended up calling cps on her. AND she didn't have nearly that many as 100.
So no I don't think it is child abuse but I do think it is dumb not to try to protect your child. If you don't like bug spray use one of those off things.

AND as I say that my kids hate bug spray. It is a fight.
The reality is that some of us (me and my son, for example) get absolutely COVERED with bug bites no matter HOW much insect repellant we spray on ourselves. The mosquitoes just like some people more than others. If I sprayed my son and he were covered with bites anyway, would you accuse me of being dumb and not trying to protect him?
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Would not call it "neglect" or "endangerment" that is extreme. You have no control over mosquitoes and how they go after a human.

Now is it a good idea for her to be running around without "protection", from spray or alternate proctection such as long pants, shoes, clothing, etc...no it is not.

As far as getting her relief from the bites with lotions, you have no idea if the mom is doing anything on that end. A trip to the doctor would just be met with "use some calamine lotion" I would imagine.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #38
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminmd View Post
I don't have enough information to jump to that conclusion but I will say this. DD is a mosquito magnet, even covered in bug spray. It's to the point that in the summer she can't take the dog out back because she'll be attacked the minute she gets out there.
I've got one just like that. Last year, after Hurricane Irene flooded our home and town the mosquitos were horrific. She literally looked as if she had chicken pox. Took her to the doctor for prescription cream because they all become infected almost within 24 hours. It's horrific.

But we use spray and the off bug shield thingie for her. It helps but nothing is truly 100% effective.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #39
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
AND there are all natural DEET free sprays. I have used them and they DO work. You might still get a bite or two, but you don't get eaten alive. Tryst me, I have a DD who apparently is delicious.
Apparently your daughter just isn't as delicious as some of us are! I use sprays, I stay inside as much as possible, and I've still been eaten alive this summer. Yesterday I used two different repellents and walked to and from the car three times, went to the mailbox, and took my puppy out twice for under three minutes each time. Today my arms and legs look like I have measles because of all the bites. If I hadn't worn the repellents it would have been even worse. We've sprayed our yard and eliminated standing water and we are still surrounded by a cloud of mosquitoes every time we step out the door. We are well aware of the danger of West Nile but short of staying inside all the time (which still won't solve our problem, since they've started following us inside!) or dressing like beekeepers I'm afraid some number of bites are simply unavoidable. My husband, son and I can wear the same repellent, go outside at the same time and come in at the same time and my husband will have no bites while my son has quite a few and I look like a polka dotted freak. Whatever the reason, some people are just more appealing to mosquitoes than others.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
Dictator
Hail to the Redskins

When are people going to learn to mind their own business?
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
Oh please... It was a question based on an obvious observation that I asked on the Dis. I didn't go up to the woman and give her the third degree...

I guess I won't ever understand a parent admitting they don't put bug spray on their child for the simple reason of "my child doesn't like it".

I tend to think if there was another reason, she would have said it at the time. It was a real casual conversation.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #42
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh please... It was a question based on an obvious observation that I asked on the Dis. I didn't go up to the woman and give her the third degree...

I guess I won't ever understand a parent admitting they don't put bug spray on their child for the simple reason of "my child doesn't like it".

I tend to think if there was another reason, she would have said it at the time. It was a real casual conversation.
So in a "real casual conversation" you expect that she'd bring up any medical issues that her daughter might have? Again I'll say that if someone asked me the same question in that kind of setting, I wouldn't offer more than a "No thanks" and maybe "She hates the stuff". I certainly wouldn't launch into an explanation of her skin issues, or the endless search for products that don't burn/sting, or any of the real reasons for my unwillingness to use a product that most likely we've already ruled out or haven't ever tried. Not because I think any of that is some dark secret but because it is just TMI for a casual acquaintance who presumably has no reason to be interested in my kid's medical history.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #43
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator View Post
Amen.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #44
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's not for you to understand..you worry about parenting your children, let her parent her own. She doesn't have to disclose anything to you and you have no business feeling like you should know or feeling like you know better than she does what is appropriate for her child.

You don't know her child, her child's sensitivities or medical issues. You don't know if she has talked it over with her Dr or done research and made a decision about what is right for her child. My kids have about the most sensitive skin ever..I can only use very special and specific soaps on them. I do NOT spray them in DEET or other chemicals because the skin reaction from it would be horrific..that is MY business.not some busy body neighbor's business and if you asked me about it I likely would tell you next to nothing because my children and my decisions for them are just that..mine. My children have a Ped and we have discussed what is best for them and what is most appropriate. I am under no obligation to explain my reason to satisfy someone who has no right to know and would not be pleased to have someone trying to tell me what is best. Unless they are your kids you need to MYOB when it comes to things like this.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

No, I wouldn't call over not using bug spray. It may be dumb of them but it's not child abuse.

I have only wanted to call CPS once and it was because this crazy woman would lock her step children out of the house while her husband would sleep during the day. He worked nights. I didn't call, but I talked to my neighbor who worked for them about it. She knew of things too like he was going around and getting into people's cars and garages and taking things.

Soon after that we moved out of state, and a year or so later I got a phone call from another neighbor that the little boy was outside unattended and had filled up a small pool on their deck. For some reason he went under the deck to check something and it crashed down onto him. He was on life support for several days but eventually passed. I still feel guilty for not placing a formal complaint against that stepmom, and I feel like my other neighbor failed him too for not reporting what she knew since she worked for CPS.

Anyway my point is that there is a big difference in not applying bug spray and locking a child out of the house.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: