Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
ford91exploder
Mouseketeer

It's more than talk, Pyramids are 'haram' or un-Islamic and the government is working on ways to destroy them.

What we are seeing in the ME is the flareup of political Islam, Where a self described clerical class stirs up the underclass who have no realistic prospects for jobs or bettering their lives due to the endemic corruption with a 'pure' form of islam and sets them raging through the streets.

This happens whenever the world powers are perceived to be weak, The last great outburst of Political Islam was after WW I. It was only sucessfully suppressed by both Kamal Ataturk and the British Mandate,

The irony of course is it was stirred up by none other than T.E Lawrence better known as 'Lawrence of Arabia' stirring up the tribes to attack German interests.

And of course the US started the current mess unintentionally by arming the muhajadeen in a proxy war with the Soviet Union.

The question of course now who is going to put the Djinn back in the bottle
and this Djinn is not as friendly as Genie!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
There has been talk in Egypt that some extremists want to destroy the pyramids. They are destroying the Christian and Jewish headstones in the military cemetaries in Libyia on going. Don't forget that some destroyed the age old Buda statue that even Marco Polo wrote about in his travels to China. Diplomats? they don't need no stinkin' diplomats.......

WDW 07/05, WDW 06/06, DLR 07/07 SSR 08/08 SSR 05/09 AKL 07/09 SSR 12/09 Next BLT 05/10 AKL 12/10
Team Focker Watch
ford91exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I'm just going to step in here before things run off into a direction they shouldn't go.

This is a forum dedicated to Adventures by Disney. We give a lot of latitude here to talking about travel in general and guided tours in specific. I really don't want to see a discussion of how the unrest in other parts of the world might affect our travel devolve into political arguments. So please, can we not get into the politics of the area? I'd really appreciate it!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm just going to step in here before things run off into a direction they shouldn't go.

This is a forum dedicated to Adventures by Disney. We give a lot of latitude here to talking about travel in general and guided tours in specific. I really don't want to see a discussion of how the unrest in other parts of the world might affect our travel devolve into political arguments. So please, can we not get into the politics of the area? I'd really appreciate it!

Sayhello
Yes we did go off on a tangent. I wonder if ABD will try different more friendly areas such as Scandanavia, Iceland,Latvia, Estonia, and the Eastern European countries, etc. if they pull out of areas in turmoil?Coming back from a tour from Budapest thru Prague and those areas are such beautiful,historic countries that welcome westerners with open arms. The peoples were some of the friendliest we have met on our travels. Let's face it ABD gives you a pretty plush tour digs and a first world tour would be easier to sell to extended families than other "back pack" excursions offered by others.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Calfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
Yes we did go off on a tangent. I wonder if ABD will try different more friendly areas such as Scandanavia, Iceland,Latvia, Estonia, and the Eastern European countries, etc. if they pull out of areas in turmoil?Coming back from a tour from Budapest thru Prague and those areas are such beautiful,historic countries that welcome westerners with open arms. The peoples were some of the friendliest we have met on our travels. Let's face it ABD gives you a pretty plush tour digs and a first world tour would be easier to sell to extended families than other "back pack" excursions offered by others.
Since I am losing hope that DCL will go back to the Baltics, I would love the opportunity to do Scandinavia and the Baltics with ABD. Also just wanted to note that we were on one of the June 2011 Med cruises with DCL. Our itinerary originally called for us to go to Tunis, Tunisia, but that port was replaced with Palermo, Sicily when the unrest began. Once Tunisia was eliminated I never felt unsafe in the Med (Spain, Italy and France). Like other posters have said, I trust Disney to make a switch if an area is not safe. I am not booked on one of the 2013 Med cruises (doing the Scotland ABD instead and hoping for the Baltics or Med from DCL in 2014), but if I were booked, I can honestly say that the current unrest in the Middle East would not cause me to consider cancelling the Med.

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan View Post
Since I am losing hope that DCL will go back to the Baltics, I would love the opportunity to do Scandinavia and the Baltics with ABD. Also just wanted to note that we were on one of the June 2011 Med cruises with DCL. Our itinerary originally called for us to go to Tunis, Tunisia, but that port was replaced with Palermo, Sicily when the unrest began. Once Tunisia was eliminated I never felt unsafe in the Med (Spain, Italy and France). Like other posters have said, I trust Disney to make a switch if an area is not safe. I am not booked on one of the 2013 Med cruises (doing the Scotland ABD instead and hoping for the Baltics or Med from DCL in 2014), but if I were booked, I can honestly say that the current unrest in the Middle East would not cause me to consider cancelling the Med.
We did the DCL Med cruise in 2007 and stopped in Palermo. We loved it and wish to return to Sicily someday. Also they stopped on Sardinia that year and it was also wonderful. We did the Med. in 2010 with DCL and stopped in Tunisia and we heard ALOT of complaints by the passengers. Yes we loved all the European stops and never felt any threats. Barcelona we walked all over and used their subway and bus systems and it was excellent. We are looking at RCL cruise in the Med. for 2014 (we cruised with them in 2009 and it was a great cruise also) but the pricing has not come out yet. This spring we are booked on the Cowboys and canyons and looking foward thanks to Sayhello's review. Depending on what is to come in the med. area we may just look to do another ABD trip and Yellowstone trip now is on the top of my daughter's list.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: