Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
However, changing it out requires cutting the Black Rapid strap -- at least it did for the RS-7. There's a tab at the very end of the strap that prevents it from coming out through the plastic piece you use to adjust the length of the strap. It can be easily sewn back on after swapping out the connector. I cut it off right at the end as close to this piece as I could get. I only lost about 1/4" off the end of the strap.

This is the piece that needs to be cut off the Black Rapid RS-7. (Shown here after I've sewn it back on.) Tip: after cutting the nylon strap, melt the end a little with a lighter to prevent it from fraying.

You have to cut it off, because it won't fit through this piece. Another tip: take a photo of how this piece is on the strap before taking it off. Don't re-live my frustration.

This is what the Carry Speed connector looks like on the Black Rapid strap. I wish it was a little wider, but it works well enough.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 09-16-2012 at 12:28 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
wbeem
DIS Veteran

I have a Black Rapid strap, but I don't use it anymore. That's because of something my friend Scott Diussa shared. He works for Nikon Professional Services and brought up some horror stories about straps that hold a camera by the tripod mount.

Basically, he said that mount was never designed to support the weight of the camera that way. He's seen a number of damaged cameras because of cracks and failures there, where the camera succumbed to gravity and hit the ground.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

I used the RS-Sport 2 in Disney during my last trip, 5 days, I never once took the strap off, even when I didn't have the camera, I usually forgot it was there, it fit in perfectly with my backpack straps, and it was extremely comfortable. No strain at all from holding my T2i with the somewhat hefty 24-105mm, or the smaller but still fairly bulky 16-35mm on it. I even left it on during my Around the World on a Segway tour so I could swing it up for quick shots at each country. (not while moving... mostly )

The strap held up fine, and it feels quite secure, and can be easily adjusted for maximum comfort on each wearer, as well as locking in the range of the strap that the camera can slide across. When the camera was stowed it hung upside down to my right side, I had a hood on to protect the lens and I felt very comfortable with it there. It also slides up easily if you want to sit and let the body rest on your lap.

An added bonus, its easy to hook your elbow inside the strap and put light tension on it to held steady the camera (it's easier to pull against a light force and hold that position than to hold a heavy camera steady against gravity). That, plus IS on the 24-105mm and generous ISO settings yielded excellent low light photos.
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem View Post
I have a Black Rapid strap, but I don't use it anymore. That's because of something my friend Scott Diussa shared. He works for Nikon Professional Services and brought up some horror stories about straps that hold a camera by the tripod mount.

Basically, he said that mount was never designed to support the weight of the camera that way. He's seen a number of damaged cameras because of cracks and failures there, where the camera succumbed to gravity and hit the ground.
I've been concerned about that as well.

What do you use now?

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: