Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
iluvwdw4ever
DIS Veteran

Stupid question...can you use a Canon lens on a Nikon camera??

We are headed to WDW soon and I am trying to find a new lowlight lens for my Nikon D90 and have no idea what to buy. I did check out someone elses photos that were pretty awesome but their lens is a Canon. I am still trying to learn my camera but thought that a new lens would help greatly. I would have no idea of which Nikkor lens to buy that would be close to the Canon lens. Please help!!!!!

TIA!!!
Angela
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

You won't be able to - they have a different mount.

If you are trying to cut costs, you don't necessarily have to buy a Nikon lens to get a decent lens. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina all make lenses for Nikon and Canon. You just need to be sure you go for one that is a Nikon fit. Also, do a bit of research before buying a lens, check out reviews, ask for sample shots, comparisons, etc. You do also need to make sure that the lens is suitable for your model of camera (for example, if you don't have an inbuilt motor, some of the lenses will only allow you to focus manually)
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
iluvwdw4ever
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
2Tiggies

Why don't you post what camera you have, what lens /lenses you have at the moment and the Canon lens you saw? There are so many knowledgeable folk on this board who would be happy to help out with reviews, samples and suggestions. It's also worth bearing in mind that different lenses serve different purposes so some idea of the kind of photography you are interested in would probably be helpful too.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Yes, but probably not what you'd want. There are lens adapters you can use but you would loose the ability to auto focus and aperture adjustments. ALL settings must be done in manual mode. Plus it's apparently possible to mess up your electrical connections in your camera body. There may be some adapters out there that would let you run in auto mode, but they'd probably be well over a couple hundred.

Have you looked at the 35mm or 50mm 1.8 lenses by Nikon? They are right around $200 each.
NateNLogansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The only time at WDW you just have to have something beyond the kit lens to get the shot is on dark rides when you need a fast lens to get the shutter speed. And even then, you still have to know how to get the shot. Simply getting a new lens will not necessarily get you better images. Knowledge is a whole lot more important than the gear you use.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
NLD
DIS Veteran

Seconding the recommendation for the 35mm 1.8.

There's no reason to get a Canon lens for a Nikon camera. Nikon makes plenty of fast lenses... and Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make plenty of fast lenses for Nikon bodies.

But yes, you'll have to learn how to use the lens. If you don't already understand it, read up on how ISO, shutter speed, and aperture work together to make an exposure. The book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good start--very easy read.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
2Tiggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLD View Post
The book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a good start--very easy read.
I second the recommendation! This book was recommended on here (I'm sure not for the first time) earlier this year. I grabbed my camera, with the book and went out a few times and tried out what was explained as I read. Since then, my camera stays on manual mode most of the time. For years I had the theory of the ISO Aperture Shutter Speed triangle, but this book really made it all make sense. I think it should be an essential read for anyone starting out with a 'nice' camera
Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Before looking to buy a new lens I would make sure that you are really comfortable with your camera using Aperture priority at a minimum. Then you have to know what your shooting style is.

As for specific lenses, the D90 has a focus motor in the body so any Nikon lens with the designation AF or AF-S will be fine on your camera. For an inexpensive low light lens the 50mm f/1.8 runs about $120 new. The 35mm f/1.8 is also a great choice but is more expensive. Using these lenses in low light is difficult it your really really comfortable with your camera. Depth of field is VERY shallow if your using the lens at the f/1.8 end of the aperture. It can be difficult to get an image in focus if your using the camera in full automatic. You need to learn how to choose your own focus point and NOT let the camera do it for you.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson has been recommended on this board for many many years. Its a great resource for any level, especially for those new to learning the in and outs of a dSLR.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
As for specific lenses, the D90 has a focus motor in the body so any Nikon lens with the designation AF or AF-S will be fine on your camera. For an inexpensive low light lens the 50mm f/1.8 runs about $120 new. The 35mm f/1.8 is also a great choice but is more expensive. Using these lenses in low light is difficult it your really really comfortable with your camera. Depth of field is VERY shallow if your using the lens at the f/1.8 end of the aperture. It can be difficult to get an image in focus if your using the camera in full automatic. You need to learn how to choose your own focus point and NOT let the camera do it for you.
I too have a D90, and I agree with the PPs that have recommended the 50mm f/1.8 (yep the older one is a great lens and cheap!), and the 35mm f/1.8, which runs about $200 new. I'm going to get the 35mm for our upcoming trip b/c I want something wider than my 50mm. Personally, I like a shallow DOF, which is why I love my 50mm, but you have to figure out if that's what you prefer. If you're set on buying a lens, look at those, and/or rent something. (I just discovered Kingdom Camera Rentals...and looking for some feedback on a thread I started.) Good luck!

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Spring Break trip visiting college roommate interning @ WDW & toured AK 2 weeks before opening to the public! (04/98)
hokie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
iluvwdw4ever
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: