Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
mickeyfan0805
Mouseketeer

Simple AP question. Explain the options?

I'm sure I could find this by searching, but I'm working from a cell - so please forgive me.

We're considering a last minute trip to Universal and purchasing an AP. but, I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason we would need more than the base AP's. If the blackout dates dOnt apply to us, is there any reason we'd need to buy anything more?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

A few things to consider.

You certainly don't need the premium. But the preferred gives you some additional benefits.

- Hotel Discount (often well worth it - as I said in the other thread - don't overlook the benefit to being onsite).

- Free parking (worth it if you stay offsite)

- Discounts (10% off most places in the park) - Not huge, but it adds up

The other thing to consider as well is that once you have the AP, the renewal rate isn't bad at all - similar to 3 days. I've had a pass since 2003 and even though I live in MA and have skipped a year or two, I maintain it - overall it's been well worth it. (Plus I have one of plastic card AP's!)
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan0805 View Post
We're considering a last minute trip to Universal and purchasing an AP. but, I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason we would need more than the base AP's. If the blackout dates dOnt apply to us, is there any reason we'd need to buy anything more?
It depends on how many times you plan on visiting in a year. The Power Pass does not include parking so if you plan to visit more than four times, you should a least have one Preferred so you can get park discounts and free parking. Maybe one person get a Preferred AP and the other a Power Pass?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
It depends on how many times you plan on visiting in a year. The Power Pass does not include parking so if you plan to visit more than four times, you should a least have one Preferred so you can get park discounts and free parking. Maybe one person get a Preferred AP and the other a Power Pass?
I have a preferred AP, but my husband does not. We plan on going to WDW Oct 27th-Nov 2nd, then will spend two nights over at RPH (Nov 2nd-Nov 4th), so he will need three days worth of tickets. Would it be better to buy him a 3 day park hopper (using my AP to get a discount on his ticket), a Power Pass, or a Preferred AP?
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I have a preferred AP, but my husband does not. We plan on going to WDW Oct 27th-Nov 2nd, then will spend two nights over at RPH (Nov 2nd-Nov 4th), so he will need three days worth of tickets. Would it be better to buy him a 3 day park hopper (using my AP to get a discount on his ticket), a Power Pass, or a Preferred AP?
I would buy your DH a 3 day hopper, unless the 2 of you want to go more times in the next year. You may want to look at Undercover Tourist. They have some good prices on Universal Tickets, and free shipping, with tax included. Use the Mousesavers' link, and the Undercover ticket prices should be slightly less. Check that price against the 15% discount you would get with your AP, and include tax, as your Universal discounted ticket does not include tax.

That's what I did. Got my kids just a 3 day hopper and I have the AP. I figured the AP discount on my 4 nights at RPH made up for the difference in the 3 day pass price and the price of the AP. It was nice getting 10% off food and gifts at most locations.
Have a great trip!
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

We have the premium. I wasn't sure about it at first but we go often (live here) and it's been great. I like the additions of the water parks and Disney Quest, and the 20% discount has been great.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: