DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
iluvwdw5
In Luv with the Mouse

Which is your FAVORITE resort and why ...

My dh and I are looking into buying a DVC but going through a resale to do so. The only question left is which one to make "our home". We are 100% in love with the EPCOT area so we are thinking BWV or BC. Do you have any thoughts on why one would be better than the other? And also do you recommend buying a large contract (300 pts) from the start or only a smaller contract and then adding to it? Any input is greatly appreciated! TIA

2005 ASSports, 2007 CSR, 2007 OKW
2009 Off Site, 2009 POP, 2011 CSR, 2012 POR
iluvwdw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

This question is post almost weekly and IMO it doesn't matter what we think, only what you think. You can either buy based on others input or take the time to find out for yourself which resort you love the most.

You could buy a small contract to start with and use the points to try out the different resorts. Then based on your own findings you could buy additional points at your favorite.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post

You could buy a small contract to start with and use the points to try out the different resorts. Then based on your own findings you could buy additional points at your favorite.

Bill

It's easy to upsize. Not so to downsize unless you were to buy multiple contracts to make up the 300 pts but then you have additional cost.

Or you might rent points to try out the Epcot resorts prior to buying.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

We own at OKW & SSR but stay at the Fort or BW with a BWview. Love the top floor board walk view the best. Action all the time and at night with all the lights, boats and crows its the best.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
HokieGCC
BWV Owners

I like your question

First - we are not DVC members yet and have never stayed at either BLT, AKW, SSP nor the Grand Floridian. That all being said though we have stayed at Disney almost 20 times as a family over the years and usually for 2 weeks at a time.

Our favorite is the Beach Club. We walk to Epcot and the Studios, love the pool, the boardwalk. When you go for 2 weeks at a time you can only take so much of the rides/lines at the parks. We end up hanging out at the World showcase and the boardwalk a lot and seem to have better family times there. It is funny -Although the rides are fun I don't remember the 100th time I rode Space Mountain but I remember every single card game we played as a family on the patio or sitting near the ice cream shop. The fireworks at Epcot are a very short walk as well. It is also a great place to run if you work out a lot. It feels the most relaxed place at DW to us.

Next would be the Boardwalk for the same reason although the pool is not quite as good and we enjoy Epcot more than the Studios so it's a close second.

Next is the Wilderness. Taking boats places is neat. The pool is great and it is a great place to rent those little boats. If your stay is shorter this is a nice place. Having to take transportation to every park is a drawback. Great place to run as well. You can run to the campground etc.

Do not like AKL. It may be neat with the Animals and all but it is unhandy and there is no place to run. If animals is your thing I can see it being #1 but although I enjoy a zoo now and then it just isn't my thing to do.

We have also stayed at Coronado and Dixie Landings a few times but have graduated to the Deluxe resorts and they work much better for us although Coronado is a pretty neat place actually. These aren't DVC resorts and aren't really part of your question other than to indicate that the Deluxe resorts are nicer. We have never stayed in a value resort.

Good luck!
HokieGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

I think most of a choice between BCV and BWV is a matter of personal preference...your "feelings" about the atmosphere of each resort. There are a couple of more practical considerations, tho:

1. You can pool hop to BWV's pool, but not to BCV's...if you are a fan of Stormalong Bay, that may be a reason to choose BCV over BWV

2. Epcot's International Gateway is but a five-minute walk from BCV...of course, it's only a 10-12 minute walk from BWV (and it's a longer walk to the Studios from BCV)

3. BCV is much smaller than BWV and it's also very popular. The 11-month home resort window is extra-valuable at BCV. BWV's standard view rooms (a bargain w/respect to points "costs") are also limited in number (as are Boardwalk view villas)...if you really want SV or BW, then the BWV 11-month home resort advantage is particularly valuable...

We own at BCV and frequently stay at BWV (we also own at SSR and we stay at just about every DVC resort...the only one we've missed so far (at WDW) is Wilderness Lodge)...there are times and vacations where we can and do make use of our home resort advantage...but we also do a lot of inside-7 months (and some positively last-minute--i.e., 3 weeks out--) trips, too...there are certainly times we can't get in (every resort on property as far as that goes), but the home resort advantage at BCV is particularly valuable to us for our regular T-giving trips...

Good luck w/your choice--
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
CarolynMink
Mouseketeer

As others have said, DVC is very personal.

We own a larger contract at SSR and like the flexibility of the points at a lower MF. We also have small contracts at BCV and VWL in order to have the 11 month booking advantage.

We love BCV & VWL!! My DS and DH love the pool at BCV and do not like the pool at BW. My DD and I love the short walk to Epcot. So, often the preference to a resort has to do with small details.

My husband and I look forward to future trips to VWL without children. We love the architecture of the lodge and the relaxed atmosphere.

I easily can go on saying wonderful thing about each resort at WDW.

For us "decide how you plan to vacation" was not helpful since, our plans have changed so much over time. "Buy were you want to stay" was very helpful to us for our add on points. However, we do not regret first buying into SSR.
adding pts BLT;10/13 BCV, 6/13 BCV & BLT,1/13 AKV, 6/12 THV & AKV; 2012 added pts BCV x2; BCV 8/11, AKV, DCL & VWL 8/09, AKV & BWV 1/09, OKW,VWL,SSR; 2/08 add pts VWL; SSR 12/06, ASMo; 12/05 *joined DVC - SSR; Dolphin 3/01, FW cabin 5/00, OKW 5/98, Disneyland 6/96,off property WDW '90, '87, & '81
CarolynMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you have a car, BCV is easier for parking. The BWV parking is further from the villas. BWV is right in the middle of all the action - if you get a BW view, you will hear all the fun of the BW. The BCV are behind the BC, so it is more quiet and away from the noise. Views are limited to pool and garden (and road) at BCV. At BWV, you have standard view (front drive), BW view and pool/garden view - either the quiet pool or Luna Park or the surrounding areas and the Village Green.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

If doing it over again I would have split our points up into smaller contracts. We do not have children and I could have left contracts to neices and nephews. We are finding that we love our fall trips and always go Oct-Dec, but now love, love love going in May. DH and I usually do that one by ourselves and we take our aging parents along for fall trips. So DVC has taken us from a one-10 day trip to 2-8 day trips. I can see an add-on in our future.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If you decide to sell your contracts, smaller ones are easier to sell than larger ones.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
iluvwdw5
In Luv with the Mouse

UPDATE: Well .. We did it! We placed an offer on a contract for 170 pts at BWV ..the seller accepted and we have both signed, now we wait. We are very excited! I am so happy with our decision to start off with a smaller contact and I am absolutely in love with the location!! Wish us well, and thanks for your input! Keep posting your thoughts ... I love reading what's on your mind

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwdw5 View Post
UPDATE: Well .. We did it! We placed an offer on a contract for 170 pts at BWV ..the seller accepted and we have both signed, now we wait. We are very excited! I am so happy with our decision to start off with a smaller contact and I am absolutely in love with the location!! Wish us well, and thanks for your input! Keep posting your thoughts ... I love reading what's on your mind
Congrats! You're going to love BWV! Welcome home neighbor!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
crisi
DIS Veteran

Congrats.

We own at BWV and have stayed at BCV. It may be because its home and therefore we have an emotional investment, but we like BWV better. SAB is a very cool pool, but its a long way - and through the lobby! - from the villas.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
iluvwdw5
In Luv with the Mouse

"Congrats! You're going to love BWV! Welcome home neighbor!"

Thank you so much!!!!! I'm über excited!!!!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
CarolynMink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwdw5 View Post
Congratulation. Welcome Home!
adding pts BLT;10/13 BCV, 6/13 BCV & BLT,1/13 AKV, 6/12 THV & AKV; 2012 added pts BCV x2; BCV 8/11, AKV, DCL & VWL 8/09, AKV & BWV 1/09, OKW,VWL,SSR; 2/08 add pts VWL; SSR 12/06, ASMo; 12/05 *joined DVC - SSR; Dolphin 3/01, FW cabin 5/00, OKW 5/98, Disneyland 6/96,off property WDW '90, '87, & '81
CarolynMink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: