Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Resort Community Threads & Photo-Video
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
jlocmac
DIS Veteran

Canon - best lens for my needs?!

Hello all!!

I have a birthday trip coming up. My husband bought me the Canon T3i for my bday, and he gave it to me early. That way I could learn how to operate the dang thing!! LOL The camera came with the 18mm-55mm, so it's not the best when it comes to zoom quality. I want to be able to take nice pics in the parks.. on the safari.. of the castle.. our character meals.. you know.. EVERYTHING! With that said, what's the best lens for me?? (I'm a severe amateur!) Also, where do you order your equipment?

TIA!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Hi,

You might want to try asking this over on the photography board.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

They're very helpful over there, and very knowledgeable.

I have a few different lenses that I use. You may not find one exact lens that does everything, but you might find something that does most of what you want. Good luck!
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
mpalmieri1203
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlocmac View Post
Hello all!!

I have a birthday trip coming up. My husband bought me the Canon T3i for my bday, and he gave it to me early. That way I could learn how to operate the dang thing!! LOL The camera came with the 18mm-55mm, so it's not the best when it comes to zoom quality. I want to be able to take nice pics in the parks.. on the safari.. of the castle.. our character meals.. you know.. EVERYTHING! With that said, what's the best lens for me?? (I'm a severe amateur!) Also, where do you order your equipment?

TIA!!!
Sigma 50mm. Great prime.
mpalmieri1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Jedimike
Mouseketeer

I have the same camera that you have, but I have an 18 - 135 mm lens. This is a great IS (image stabalization) lense that works well wide angle (no zoom) and relatively far away (a little more than twice the zoom you get).

If you want to take photos on the safari, you're going to want a better zoom lens than the one you have. Any other "Disney" type pictures (i.e., the family standing in front of the castle, pictures with Mickey, etc), your lens is fine for. I asked a similar question before my last trip (my first trip with the digital SLR) and everyone recommended the wide angle lens.
[2001 - All-Star Movies] [2007 - All-Star Music] [2009 - Caribbean Beach] [2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge / Contemporary] [2012 - Grand Floridian] [2012 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid)/ Polynesian] [2013 - Wilderness Lodge] [2014 - Polynesian]
Jedimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
starlionblue
Recovering Disney addict but still failing

I say this from experience: there is no such thing as a camera lens that does it all. If you see a semi-pro photographer, he/she always has a black metal case or two. Those are spare lenses for different purposes, not water bottle holders! If you really need to save suitcase space, consider a wide angle lens and then a zoom lens to get really close up. From my most recent trip, I looked through the pictures taken on a Nikon digital camera and found out two things: I either take a panoramic picture or one up close. Just my 2 cents...
starlionblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I have a similar Canon -- however, I opted to get an extra lens -- 50-250 zoom with image stabilization. I found I used the 18-55 on rides to get pics of the kids and the longer lens for things like the Safari, as stated before -- there isn't one perfect lens. But these two are a decent compromise.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Hoosier37
DIS Veteran

I have a Canon Rebel XS, and for most of the time in the parks I used the 18-55mm. For low-light conditions I had a Canon 50mm f/1.8 (otherwise known as the Nifty 50), that was only about $100. I do have a 50-250mm lens but did not bring it to WDW because it is horrible in low light, and heavy and bulky enough I didn't want to mess with it, although it is often my go-to lens in day to day life.

(me) (DH) (DS14) (DD11)
Hoosier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

I use a 28-105 L IS on my 30D and also carry a Panasonic point and shoot that easily fits in my pocket. I've had many other lenses but the 28-105 covers most of my needs and the Panasonic eliminates the need for a long zoom and also doubles as my video camera.
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: