Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #91
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Plus, people tend to go straight to "plumber" when they want to give an example of a high-paying job that can be achieved through hard work and on-the-job-training. It's ALWAYS the example. Even if we all buy into the trade-school or vocational concept, our kids can't ALL go out and become plumbers. Other jobs in this same category -- electrician, auto mechanic, etc. -- pay better than low-skill jobs like cashier or waitress, but they will not equal that golden example, the plumber.

Like your daughter, mine are both very academic and I'm sure college is in their future; however, if they were interested in something vocational, I would push them to learn the trade . . . AND ALSO to learn something about business. The guy who starts out as an electrician's helper and moves up to master electrician -- he'll do okay for himself. But the guy who starts his own business as an electrician, who eventually owns a small fleet of vans, each staffed with that master electrician and his helper -- that's the guy who's making more than most college grads. And as he ages, he isn't out there doing the manual labor himself; rather, he's in the office taking orders, managing his crews, and making money from each and every one of his trucks. If my girls weren't college-bound, I'd encourage them in that direction. No, not specifically electrician, but owning a service business.
My parents neighbor is an HVAC guy. Started out installing heating and airconditioning. Bought a truck. He's selling the business for $10M this year. And their income isn't small.

He did not get a college degree. But his wife did and she did a lot of the early office work until he hired an office staff. He hasn't installed an air conditioner in 20 years himself.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #92
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

My kids are all doing well and each make more than my DH who has a Vet Tech degree and been in the field almost 20 years (2nd career). My eldest had an art scholarship which he was foolish and blew..then after growing up went back and struggled through and is a graphic artist and art director who with bonuses is approaching 100K (2 year degree) my daughter was brilliant and had huge goals but also rebeled and had a kid at 17..she never gave up, got scholarship after scholarship piecemeal and graduated with honors with very little debt with a BS in Nursing (she did have to continue to school while pregnant with her second so she didn't lose a NM Lottery Scholarship and take a Chemistry test 2 days after her daughter was born). My younger son is not a school kinda guy and did mulitudes of jobs: 21 Dealer, Car Salesman, Construction..then went to the Police Acaemy and had highest acadmic honors. Surprise! you are smart after all and he makes as a ploice officer about what my DH makes before overtime. So here we are..2-2-year degrees, one of them the highest family earner, 2-4 year degrees (DD and me) and I am the lowest income producer of all (to be fair I don't work in my field) and one...I don't know what Police Academy is considered..Vocational training? So... many, many choices can work.
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #93
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

My husband was not into school and knew college was not for him. He paid $2,700 went to the CDL class offered at the vocational school and got his CDL and his endorsements. His benefits are great, he is paid well and trucking will never be outsourced, nor will people stop buying food, paper goods, etc. all things that get hauled from shippers to suppliers etc.

My SIL went to college and got an art degree. She currently works retail because she can't find a job. My in laws paid a ton for her degree for her to make $9 an hour...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #94
bethy
DIS Veteran

From what I've sometimes seen in my circles people don't always go to college because they want to make a specific investment in their career of choice. I've seen plenty of kids go to college simply because it's something to "do". Basically, it extends their childhood. Sometime's it's the kid's aim to extend childhood and sometimes it's the parents' goal, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: