Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
ZPT1022
DIS Veteran
Dreaming of my Disney honeymoon!
Beware the troll dolls in Norway...they're creepy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven dwarfs View Post

I just would like others to know that it is not all wonderful for everyone and Disney really needs to work on how to handle people with mutiltiple allergies better. I do think there is enough people where they need to have someone who deals only in allergies in the restaurants. I did see the same chef seemed run ragged by all of the tables that had allergy issues plus having to go and fix the meals. Maybe they are just over worked.
This is not going to be a popular opinion, and at the risk of starting World War 3, I'll state it anyhow- I think that there are a lot more people requesting special diet help for a variety of reasons. Part of it is social media and networking like this, and the word has gotten out that Disney is amazing and accommodating for people with special diets. I really think that's a huge part of it. I also think there's more awareness of special diets and things like celiac disease and a higher percentage of people are being diagnosed.

BUT, and this is the part that will not sit well with some people- I also think that it is trendy and some people are doing it as the latest fad diet to try, just like low carb or whatever else. And I think that those same people who have no real medical need are still expecting that service when they are at Disney and are making the process slower for those of us with true medical needs. There was a conversation on my moms group the other day about going gluten free for weight loss- no medical need or reason, just weight loss. Let's face it- the more tables the chefs have to come out to, the more work it is, the harder it is on them. But what's the answer there? And no, I'm not trying to say that I'm more "entitled" to special help than someone else is. I don't really know how to manage it when it's lifestyle choice vs allergies
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Holy cow! That sounds terrible!

You did complain to special diets, right? I made sure they knew exactly where we had trouble and what happened and they seemed very appreciative for the feedback. We had a chef whose response to "no soy" was "well, the vans waffles only have a little soy flour, so that should be fine" I am also glad that while I hate to see him sick, my DS has not yet had reactions that would be deadly.
It sounds like you have your hands full finding food for him, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he grows out of some of it. (we can always hope!)

ZPT1022- I think you are 100% correct. Not too long ago I had an aunt asking if we had tried some gluten free brand because she was on this new diet... and that was the first thing I thought of- now everybody is going to just think DS is being pickey.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue

ZPT1022- I think you are 100% correct. Not too long ago I had an aunt asking if we had tried some gluten free brand because she was on this new diet... and that was the first thing I thought of- now everybody is going to just think DS is being pickey.
I think ZPT is right too. People hear special treatment and want to get in on it. My friend was mad because because my son got his grilled cheese shaped like mickey mouse (my son has FA) and her kids' weren't......
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
Notso
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPT1022 View Post
This is not going to be a popular opinion, and at the risk of starting World War 3, I'll state it anyhow- I think that there are a lot more people requesting special diet help for a variety of reasons. Part of it is social media and networking like this, and the word has gotten out that Disney is amazing and accommodating for people with special diets. I really think that's a huge part of it. I also think there's more awareness of special diets and things like celiac disease and a higher percentage of people are being diagnosed.

BUT, and this is the part that will not sit well with some people- I also think that it is trendy and some people are doing it as the latest fad diet to try, just like low carb or whatever else. And I think that those same people who have no real medical need are still expecting that service when they are at Disney and are making the process slower for those of us with true medical needs. There was a conversation on my moms group the other day about going gluten free for weight loss- no medical need or reason, just weight loss. Let's face it- the more tables the chefs have to come out to, the more work it is, the harder it is on them. But what's the answer there? And no, I'm not trying to say that I'm more "entitled" to special help than someone else is. I don't really know how to manage it when it's lifestyle choice vs allergies
As the mom of a kiddo with Celiac, the GF for weight loss thing drives me nuts! GF foods are generally higher in calories and fat than their glutenfull counterparts. I've certainly lost weight since our household became gluten free, but its not from cutting out gluten. It's because we no longer have bread, crackers, or cookies hanging around.

Right now, it's pretty obvious my just-turned-two year old isn't faking it, but I hate it for her when she's 10 and people assume she's just dieting.

WDW: 6/84 CR; 6/90 CR; 4/93 GF; 6/2003 GF Honeymoon; 2/11 Treehouse Villas - First time for the girls, and we even got to open the MK! 2/13 BWV

Disneyland: 10/11, 11/12, and 7/13

DCL: 1/14 Fantasy East; 9/14 Dream; 8/15 Wonder in Alaska
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Exactly!

I was going to quote that statement as well. Disney is kind enough to make an attempt. My sister appreciates it with her peanut/nut allergies.

My daughter with 8 food allergies, I brought her food along with me. I didn't feel that Disney needed to accommodate her. They provide a menu and we select from it.

She began sublingual allergy drops earlier this year or her food allergies. In these few months she has now been able to tolerate beef. We are tremendous ly excited about that. I might make he suggestion that the OP look into this treatment at the clinic in LaCrosse Wisconsin .

I don't want my child miserable from her allergy reactions, but I sure dont want her limited in her choices in life due to such extreme restrictions.
dragonfly57005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #36
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Maybe this will help a little-- as a child I was HIGHLY allergic to corn so I do know what you are going through in that regard. And YES, it seems like corn is in or around *everything*. I DID outgrown my food allergies-so hang in there as there is hope. It started getting better when I hit puberty.

I am an organic, grass-fed meat producer. You are NOT going to find those meats at WDW and frankly, I think it is an unreasonable request. Why not do what _I_ do and just eat vegetarian or seafood while there?

Take organic-y fruits and snacks with you (I do) to enjoy in the parks and eat one BIG meal at your resort.

While your list is quite overwhelming--I think it is do-able. Take a deep breath and be prepared to be in charge of more food prepping and take along than perhaps is ideal.

As a kid I could not eat meat, eggs or dairy that got corn either. Nor could I have have tomatos (which are in almost everything), green beans or black pepper. Yet I stayed over at friends, and ate away from home with NO expectation of special food prep at restaurants for me. When I went to friends' houses my mom sent me with packages of frozen meat and veggies that I could eat--enough for everyone to enjoy! I think I got invited over *just* for that!

I ate sandwiches of what I could have when others ordered off menus. Usually there would be a dessert I could have or some other something. I loved (and still love) fried chicken and I virtually lived on fried chicken legs packed in small coolers.

HANG IN THERE! You can still have a great vacation.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
I think ZPT is right too. People hear special treatment and want to get in on it. My friend was mad because because my son got his grilled cheese shaped like mickey mouse (my son has FA) and her kids' weren't......
One only has to look at some of the food reports to see that people ARE asking for special treatment and ARE making up 'food issues' on their reservations just so they can get it. It's pretty pathetic. But the same goes for those people who are making things up to get GACs. There isn't a lot that Disney can do about it, and in the end, it hurts the people who need these services the most.

The OP - I've gone back and forth with disney for years because they refuse to provide nutritional information on their foods. It's like they don't quite understand that my son stays alive (and that's not an understatement) based on how much insulin I give him, and part of that calculation is based on how many carbs he's eating. It's important to know. But disney refuses. So yes, they're great if you have something like a peanut allergy, or even celiac they're getting better. But to learn exactly how many carbs are in one item? forget it.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
The OP - I've gone back and forth with disney for years because they refuse to provide nutritional information on their foods. It's like they don't quite understand that my son stays alive (and that's not an understatement) based on how much insulin I give him, and part of that calculation is based on how many carbs he's eating. It's important to know. But disney refuses. So yes, they're great if you have something like a peanut allergy, or even celiac they're getting better. But to learn exactly how many carbs are in one item? forget it.
That's an easy one - my mom always carries around a booklet that has the carb/calorie listing for food she eats in restaurants. I think they have apps for smartphones and ipods that do the same thing.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #39
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
That's an easy one - my mom always carries around a booklet that has the carb/calorie listing for food she eats in restaurants. I think they have apps for smartphones and ipods that do the same thing.
of course we do the same. But it's about as accurate as knowing that all xxx food "usually" has peanuts (or gluten, or whatever). You just don't know what's in DISNEY's food.

Not all rolls are made the same. Not every serving of pasta is the same. Not every stir fry is the same. My meatloaf that I make at home might contain more or less bread / carbs than the meatloaf served in disney and might not come anywhere close to what's found in a book or app. Only simply needs to look at those apps to see the huge variation in carb content for the same food. Even something easy like knowing if a roll is whole wheat vs white makes a difference. How many carbs? How much fiber?

It's not as easy as just looking up the carbs in a book, otherwise we could say exactly the same for any food allergy , "just look it up. Surely every meatloaf contains the same exact things!" That would be a stupid assertion.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
lilouisianagal
Mouseketeer

Quote:

There are also a lot more parents putting their kids on special diets for behavior modification. While I agree it can lead to great changes, it's not the same as a [life threatening] food allergy! Not that anyone wants behaviors t regress during a vacation either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly57005 View Post

She began sublingual allergy drops earlier this year or her food allergies. In these few months she has now been able to tolerate beef. We are tremendous ly excited about that. I might make he suggestion that the OP look into this treatment at the clinic in LaCrosse Wisconsin .
I find this very exciting. When I first met with DH and my allergist he was clear that food allergies couldn't be treated. Now I have some research to do!!!

Quote:

Perhaps we will see a shift with the new "healthy foods" kick at Disney (then again if they were that into healthy foods, why would the QS/TS meals on the meal plans only include desserts??? Cause everyone needs 2-3 desserts per day???

Quote:
of course we do the same. But it's about as accurate as knowing that all xxx food "usually" has peanuts (or gluten, or whatever). You just don't know what's in DISNEY's food.

Not all rolls are made the same. Not every serving of pasta is the same. Not every stir fry is the same. My meatloaf that I make at home might contain more or less bread / carbs than the meatloaf served in disney and might not come anywhere close to what's found in a book or app. Only simply needs to look at those apps to see the huge variation in carb content for the same food. Even something easy like knowing if a roll is whole wheat vs white makes a difference. How many carbs? How much fiber?

It's not as easy as just looking up the carbs in a book, otherwise we could say exactly the same for any food allergy , "just look it up. Surely every meatloaf contains the same exact things!" That would be a stupid assertion.
But even at Disney, they could only get the recipe version of the nutrition facts, as each chef might have some variance when preparing it.

OP--Good Luck and keep holding Disney to high standards!

DisneyLand Hotel 1988 Carribean Beach 1992, 1995, 2006, 2007 , 2009 Dixie Landings 1997, 1999Port Orleans 2002 Off Site: MissionAir 2004 Disney Cruise Line (Honeymoon on the Wonder): May 24-28, 2009 Pop Century 2011 Disney Cruise Line: May 27- June 1, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort 2013
lilouisianagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:

Well, you could ask if it is whole wheat or white, and if the guest can't tell how big a serving of pasta gets eaten, how would the chef know that?

If you can't tell the carb ratio due to a recipe, then simply order something that you can tell - chicken breast, steak, a side of rice, a vegetable, etc, are very easy to check. The book my mom has shows how many carbs and how much fiber. She's found that if she can't figure out the carb count, then it is most likely not something healthy enough for her to eat anyways - it would have too many carbs for her.

I disagree that it is the same as a food allergy - cross contamination is not going to mess up a carb count like it can mess up an allergy.

I've never witnessed my mom having a hard time figuring out carb counts, and I've done it myself for a project at school. As I stated above, if she can't puzzle out the ingredients, it's too unhealthy for her to eat. She tries to avoid breadings, white sauces, and fried stuff as it has a lot of bad cholesterol too.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #42
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Well, you could ask if it is whole wheat or white, and if the guest can't tell how big a serving of pasta gets eaten, how would the chef know that?

If you can't tell the carb ratio due to a recipe, then simply order something that you can tell - chicken breast, steak, a side of rice, a vegetable, etc, are very easy to check. The book my mom has shows how many carbs and how much fiber. She's found that if she can't figure out the carb count, then it is most likely not something healthy enough for her to eat anyways - it would have too many carbs for her.

I disagree that it is the same as a food allergy - cross contamination is not going to mess up a carb count like it can mess up an allergy.

I've never witnessed my mom having a hard time figuring out carb counts, and I've done it myself for a project at school. As I stated above, if she can't puzzle out the ingredients, it's too unhealthy for her to eat. She tries to avoid breadings, white sauces, and fried stuff as it has a lot of bad cholesterol too.
Actually, its quite different for kids with Type 1 diabetes in that there are no off limits food or foods which he can't eat. No more than any other person. :-) he simply doesnt produce any insulin, we're not trying to utilize it better, he does that just fine, we simply have to replace it, the way anyone with a missing body part replaces.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #43
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

It sounds like Special Diets is losing their magical touch then. For them to have offered your son powdered eggs when you specifically said he could only have real ones is upsetting. Is it simply that the chefs are either understaffed or running too many tables at a time? That makes me nervous. My daughter has life threatening food allergies and I have severe gluten issues as well as anaphylactic food allergies. Do you think they are becoming too lax? I surely hope not since Disney has been a place we can eat at safely. Posts like this really make me scared about booking a trip. It's hard enough for me trust someone else to prepare safe food outside of my own home.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

As a PP suggested, I would bring your own food in a thermos. I got an insulated one from Target that works great. My DD brings hot dogs to school and they are still hot 4 hours after heating them up. I'm sure most places have french fries so you don't have to worry about them being soggy.

I think it is getting more and more difficult for the chef's to accommodate all these allergies and perhaps they are getting frustrated as well?

With a list of allergies like that, I'm not sure I would feel great putting it in the hands of someone else.

Also as a PP stated, it is not Disney who makes up the "rule" about heating things up. It is a law to protect everyone.

When we went with my family member that had severe allergies, we brought lunch in the parks and cooked most dinners in the villa. We only ate out twice that whole week and we still had a great time.

I hope you have a magical trip.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #45
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
It sounds like Special Diets is losing their magical touch then. For them to have offered your son powdered eggs when you specifically said he could only have real ones is upsetting. Is it simply that the chefs are either understaffed or running too many tables at a time? That makes me nervous. My daughter has life threatening food allergies and I have severe gluten issues as well as anaphylactic food allergies. Do you think they are becoming too lax? I surely hope not since Disney has been a place we can eat at safely. Posts like this really make me scared about booking a trip. It's hard enough for me trust someone else to prepare safe food outside of my own home.
I think the chefs are overwhelmed because we saw them running around like crazy. I am sure there are people who use this as a "diet" but I am not sure how you would ever stop it. The Chef's we had issues with were not friendly. I felt as if I was a bother. I still think if you have say a nut allergy, it is easy for them as most kitchens are nut free. If you have a gluten allergy which is just wheat. They can give you gluten free bread/pasta. My sons issue is he is grain free so that doesn't work for us. At Tusker House we just sat there and laughed to the point we cried. It felt like a dream. I was very scared for my son. He was sick after several meals and the Dr.'s have warned me that it could become anaphylactic at any point in time. We were so excited to be able to try Disney! It was a huge flop. We have another tripped palnned right now with zero TS's booked. I just dont know what to do. I would love to go to "Ohana again if I had Brandon but it is so $$$ for my family. Right now, I can't take the risk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: