DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcdonna View Post
This year I tried booking in March, wanted WL for Oct. 4-9 but there was nothing, tried to be flexible and said I would take anywhere and they said there was no availavility in any resort (not even SSR) at that time (for one or two bedroom). I called several times, tried on line, asked them to explain how there could be NO ROOMS anywhere with answers that really didn't make any sense, especially having no rooms at SSR, my home resort.
Wow, I'm amazed booking in Mar for Oct sounds like 7 months out and there was nothing at SSR or anywhere else for Oct 4-9 in a 1/2 bedroom. I would never have thought that was possible. Is there something special about those dates?

Sounds like you have the worst luck going.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

I think you are doing "something wrong" because I just checked your dates and there was "spotted" availability for selected nights even now.

So.. next time. Go on line and see what they DO have. Let's say you want 10/4 to 10/9. You look and SSR has 10/4, 10/8 and 10/9. BOOK IT! Then wait list 10/5 - 10/7. And then EVERY day or two check again. Then the day you find 10/6, BOOK IT and change your wait list to one for 10/5 and one for 10/7. Chances are using this method and checking often you will fill the gaps.

Just last week i checked for the "umpteenth" time for the night of 10/12 at BCV in a one bedroom and "bingo" there is was.

I think the "all or nothing" may have been the issue. There may have been one "problem" night in there but chances are had you wait listed just the problem nights the "problem" would have resolved itself. One of the problems with the wait list is that it will bypass you if your entire list can't be met. So... you wait listed 10/4 to 10/9. When the computer did the "look" it found "new openings" for 10/7 to 10/9... it skipped you and went on down the list to "DVC member X" who had ONLY wait listed 10/7 to 10/9. That actually makes it harder to get a long wait list.

I booked the weekend before you want at BCV about 4 months out so it can be done. It helps to do the big resorts (I usually aim for SSR/AKV or OKW for my late bookings... size = more rooms for openings) VWL, BWV, BCV and BLT are tougher IMHO

Now if you think the "Free Dining" is a deal then DVC may not be for you. You are nicer then I am I won't pay Disney rates... that's what offsite hotels are for. IMHO there are NO good "deals" at Disney no matter what your friends say, they are overpaying for subpar hotels.

Last edited by OrangeCountyCommuter; 09-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
castleri
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=OrangeCountyCommuter;46137880]I think you are doing "something wrong" because I just checked your dates and there was "spotted" availability for selected nights even now.

So.. next time. Go on line and see what they DO have. Let's say you want 10/4 to 10/9. You look and SSR has 10/4, 10/8 and 10/9. BOOK IT! Then wait list 10/5 - 10/7. And then EVERY day or two check again. Then the day you find 10/6, BOOK IT and change your wait list to one for 10/5 and one for 10/7. Chances are using this method and checking often you will fill the gaps.

I was going to post the same thing. I used this method just this week to get a reservation for Oct 26-30. Took the days available and the waitlist came through less that 24 hours later. Have another one out there for all three nights because none of them are available at present but will keep checking for individual days to see if they pop up and then change the waitlist. The last three years that weekend that includes Columbus Day has been hard to get and I did have waitlists that did not come through but think it was because I waitlisted the whole time instead of doing it by individual days. It is fall break for some southern schools, and means taking kids out of school only 4 days instead of 5 in the north. Will be checking on availability for other resorts in a few minutes. Am doing everything online these days. Hope you have better luck in the future. The key as others have said is to make some type of reservation at 11 or 7 months if you are sure about your dates. If you have a general idea you can tweak a few days later easier than trying for a whole reservation. The ones I made before this were made in May for the first week of October so it can be done. Those dates now are not available but then we are 3 weeks out. Hope you have better luck in the future.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
blueferral
Mouseketeer

The first week in October is the start of the Food and Wine at Epcot. That probably had a big impact on what was available. Second, the week in Jan as someone has mentioned is the week of the BIG marathon.

If you can't get in on points, try cash through member services. If that doesn't work try Expedia. What to do with those points? Bank 'em, if you can't bank 'em rent 'em.

My brother told me before I bought into DVC. Learn how to work the system or you'll not be happy.

DIS DAD #695
blueferral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
DizBub
Totally Addicted

I called MS last week because I saw on-line that there were 4 days in a row at SSR during the first week of Dec. Typically a very popular time for DVC and I could not find ANY availability anywhere else. Booked the 4 days (Dec 3-6) and waitlisted the 1st and 2nd. Waitlist came through this week, called MS back yesterday and waitlisted Dec 7. That came through this morning.

Now we have the first full week of Dec, two and a half months out. Not exactly our 1st choice but feel really lucky to have gotten it.

Don't give up!! I agree, book your home resort at 11 months, try to move at 7 months and waitlist!! In fact you can have 2 active waitlists at the same time. Use both.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: