Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Air France? Or Delta?

Has any one flown Air France? What are they like compared to other airlines? We've flown Delta, Virgin and Aer Lingus before but the cheapest prices at the minute are Air France and I'm a tad wary of booking without knowing anything about them. Our next option is Delta and to be honest I'm not mad on them as last time we flew Delta we had old planes and they didn't have the individual tv's. Silly reason really but it just makes the flight feel so much longer when you don't have them. Thanks in advance for any replies

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

haven't flown them in a while, but the last time they had worse planes than delta - but maybe they've improved.

have you checked what seatguru.com says about their planes?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
chmurf
DIS Veteran

they're not worse than the other airlines.

The fleet has a bit improved (PP's advice about seatguru is excellent). But haven't flown with them for a loooong loooong time (20+ years) lol

Do all airline have the credentials to make pre-clearance for us immigration ? If not that might also come into play in your final decision if you fly out of DUB

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Are you sure its an AirFrance flight?
I have just booked flights for next Easter with Lastminute.com & AirFrance but they are code share seats, we actually fly on Delta planes.

I really don't care who I fly with, my only concerns are route & times. I don't want to fly east to Germany or Amsterdam, really dislike Paris(CDG) I prefer my change to be at a US hub. Then I consider timings, I want outbound change to be 1.5hrs-3hrs max, coming home 1-2 hours. we also prefer to land home early, before 9am.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
haven't flown them in a while, but the last time they had worse planes than delta - but maybe they've improved.

have you checked what seatguru.com says about their planes?
I went onto the Air France website and it says that all their planes will have been updated by the end of this year - I haven't a clue how accurate this is and knowing my luck we'd get saddled with the last plane in the fleet that hasn't been undated I must look up seatguru!! Didn't even think of that! Thanks!!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
they're not worse than the other airlines.

The fleet has a bit improved (PP's advice about seatguru is excellent). But haven't flown with them for a loooong loooong time (20+ years) lol

Do all airline have the credentials to make pre-clearance for us immigration ? If not that might also come into play in your final decision if you fly out of DUB
I don't think all airlines can give you pre clearance! The only one I've flown with that did was Delta. We'll be flying out of DUB anyway though cause its our closest airport. The deals are really great at the moment and with the rising fuel prices I really just want to lock down a price while I can! My TA told me that there would be a sale on Virgin late Sept/early Oct but I'm half afraid to wait that long in case these prices are gone!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Are you sure its an AirFrance flight?
I have just booked flights for next Easter with Lastminute.com & AirFrance but they are code share seats, we actually fly on Delta planes.

I really don't care who I fly with, my only concerns are route & times. I don't want to fly east to Germany or Amsterdam, really dislike Paris(CDG) I prefer my change to be at a US hub. Then I consider timings, I want outbound change to be 1.5hrs-3hrs max, coming home 1-2 hours. we also prefer to land home early, before 9am.
I just had a look there and some of them are Air France planes and other ones are Delta planes, the prices are in and around the same for both! Personally we don't really mind times, I'd like to depart DUB around 9am as I'd like to keep my DS in a semblance of a routine for at least the last night at home! Last time we flew it was just DH and I and we flew from Dublin to Gatwick at 6.30am and then had to wait til about 10am for our connecting flight to Orlando - I couldn't do that stopover with a small child, it was hellish enough for myself! And going direct is just so expensive when compared to the indirect prices at the minute! I haven't the foggiest what way to do it, and I'm booking for 8 adults and an infant so its not just myself I have to take into consideration

Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

What are your dates? DUB~MCO?
I just checked 4th May for 2 weeks, couldn't see any AirFrance flights, only Delta. BA were the cheapest at £388 per adult so I guess I have dates wrong.

I really wouldn't worry about availabilty if its early May you want, its low season.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg
What are your dates? DUB~MCO?
I just checked 4th May for 2 weeks, couldn't see any AirFrance flights, only Delta. BA were the cheapest at £388 per adult so I guess I have dates wrong.

I really wouldn't worry about availabilty if its early May you want, its low season.
Thanks, you're very good! I checked myself shortly after posting and I can't seem to find any - and its the start of May between the 4th to the 8th or thereabouts, as long as we're back before the Memorial Day crowds start to arrive! The Air France flights I could see on skyscanner seems to be gone and only Delta ones there! I did come across a United flight for around €481 or so (can't remember exactly) and thats decent. I feel like we need to book asap cause we've always booked flights once they came available - and if I'm honest I'm just so impatient to lock down dates lol!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

I would go Air France again if the price was right and often they are code share with Delta and KLM so you could get any of them.

However with Air France expect surly air stewards, poor food and not the greatest selection of entertainment.
Delta in the twice we have flown with them have had attentive and friendly stewards, reasonable food and better appointed planes.

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano
I would go Air France again if the price was right and often they are code share with Delta and KLM so you could get any of them.

However with Air France expect surly air stewards, poor food and not the greatest selection of entertainment.
Delta in the twice we have flown with them have had attentive and friendly stewards, reasonable food and better appointed planes.
I think I'm going to go with Delta! Better the devil you know and all that!! Having just been online I've spotted that the TA we've used rather a lot in the past has better prices for Delta than I've seen on Sky Scanner so I've mailed them and asked for an all inclusive quote! Heres hoping they have better deals on now than they did a few months ago

Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
skelfbsfb
DIS Veteran

Flew with Air France in July and they where fantastic. Staff little bit older and took time to talk to people unfortunately some didnt speak English. Plane seats had plenty of room, seat back tvs, food normal plane food, plenty of drinks which where free. I would definitely book with them again if I managed to get the price we paid this year.

2003:Quality Inn Plaza 2004:Howard Johnston 2005:Sheraton 2006:Port Orleans Riverside 2007:Animal Kingdom Lodge 2008:BWV & OKW 2009:BWV & Vero Beach, RPH 2010:VILLA & HRH & BWV 2011:BWV & Vero Beach & HRH 2012:Vero Beach & OKW & BWV & HRH 2013:OKW & HRH & BWV 2014:OKW & BWV Mortgage free 2015:
skelfbsfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelfbsfb View Post
Flew with Air France in July and they where fantastic. Staff little bit older and took time to talk to people unfortunately some didnt speak English. Plane seats had plenty of room, seat back tvs, food normal plane food, plenty of drinks which where free. I would definitely book with them again if I managed to get the price we paid this year.
interesting! i wouldn't have expected that.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
LauraDaveCharlie
Live, breathe, eat and sleep WDW!

I'd be wary of booking with Delta. We have had flights booked with them since March for Oct HT - a clearly busy time for UK/US flights. We were connecting through Atlanta. I got an email two days ago telling me they had cancelled the return flight I had carefully selected as they are no longer flying that route every day; now every other day. They had moved us onto Air France, changed the route so we now had three flights (two connections) and got in hours later. But I could have a refund if I wanted it...

Ended up inconveniently moving return back a day to avoid such a long journey on three different planes so I now have to go to work on the day two hours after we have flown overnight. Not happy

Won't book with them again as apparently they are known for this kind of thing.

LauraDaveCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Problem is Laura it happens with all the airlines. Steve runs a list here for Virgins mergers and cancellations for 2012. http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/wiki.php?p=697

Delta do probably mess a little more with their schedules but prices they offer still tempt me. Just booked again for Easter at £477pp, Virgin £1,300pp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: