Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

First disney cruise. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, my 6 year old has been to the world 6 times and this is her first (surprise ) trip on a disney cruise!
WE just booked for the end of october. yes this year. Its last minute as i am starting a new job in mid november and so just got permission to take her out of school for a week.

so some questions:
When do i find out my rotational dining? Which is the bottom of the three main dining rooms? Is my 4th night also assigned? Trying to decide if we should try Palo one night but I dont want to miss out on the experience of the main dining rooms and not even sure I want to eat without my daughter.

Will be on the ship for halloween! There is a parade a few nights before, but will there be trick or treating?

Where can I find mickey waffles!!!
I have 5 million questions.
nycdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
tupperware509
Earning My Ears

waffles r everywhere! you get your dining when you get your kTTW(room key) have fun we just did magic from nyc last month
i wouldnt do palo because you dont know what you will miss and your daughter will miss it too!

tupperware509 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdisneygal View Post
Ok, my 6 year old has been to the world 6 times and this is her first (surprise ) trip on a disney cruise!
WE just booked for the end of october. yes this year. Its last minute as i am starting a new job in mid november and so just got permission to take her out of school for a week.

so some questions:
When do i find out my rotational dining? Which is the bottom of the three main dining rooms? Is my 4th night also assigned? Trying to decide if we should try Palo one night but I dont want to miss out on the experience of the main dining rooms and not even sure I want to eat without my daughter.

Will be on the ship for halloween! There is a parade a few nights before, but will there be trick or treating?

I have 5 million questions.
You find out your dining rotation when you check in at the port.

Each MDR has it's lovers and haters. It's really an personal decision. Since it's you first cruise, I'd go with the MDRs for dinner this time and save the adult only dining for a different cruise.

Mickey waffles are in whichever MDR is serving breakfast as well as at the buffet on random days.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love the Mickey waffles and had one every day on the Fantasy. They are on the buffet in Cabanas every day and were on the buffet in Enchanted Garden. I don't know if they are on the menu for the sit down breakfast in Royal Court, I ordered one and my request was granted.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
lianne_0325
Mouseketeer

I just received an email yesterday about Halloween festivities. I just booked a last minute Halloween sailing too. Here is the info from the email:

We'll be celebrating Halloween on our ships this year with several themed events, including a costume contest for our adult Guests and a special costume parade for children on the following sail dates:

Disney Magic® - October 20, 2012 and October 27, 2012
Disney FantasyTM - October 20, 2012 and October 27, 2012
Disney DreamTM - October 25, 2012 and October 28, 2012
Disney Wonder® - October 28, 2012

Though not required, we encourage Guests of all ages to bring along their costumes and join in our special Halloween celebration. On the evening of our party, children will receive candy treat bags in their staterooms that they can bring along to the party to collect even more treats. Prizes will be awarded to our adult costume contest participants based on the following categories:

Funniest
Best Group
Most Spooky
Most Original
Most Disney

More information on themed nights, times and locations will be available onboard in the Personal Navigator that will be delivered to your stateroom.

While all Guests are invited to wear costumes, we ask that you choose costumes that are not obstructive or offensive. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, we ask that when considering costume options you refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements, as these items will not be allowed onboard.
lianne_0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most important question ever! I'm seriously addicted to those things.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
staffieri
DIS Veteran

First, do go to PALO!!!!! it is so worth it and its amazing. My hubby and I were so glad we did this. Your marriage deserves the romance. I don't know what cruise your own. But I too have a 6 year old. I requested our dinning rotation and do be at a table with another girl between the ages of 5-7. Disney did do this and it made the trip. The other little girl was great and they became fast friends. I think the night you don't want to miss is Animator when that dinning room does the two shows. My dinning rotation was RAERAAE. I also don't mind missing pirate night because I don't like the food that night. So we do pirate night but don't eat in dinning room. This rotation allowed me to see the shows in Animator and go to Palo Monday and Remy Wednesday. We feed my daughter in the room with room service and then took her to the club. We like to know what she eating and eating in the club on the Fantasy seemed a little overwhelming.

* Becca liked going to the club for about 2 hours at a time and them hanging with us. She went in the morning then we get her and do the pools and family play. Then she like to go again. And also for storytime after the main dining for an hour. Then we get her for the show.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Just got off the Magic literally a few hours ago....did the 5 night out of NYC to Canda. Had a fantastic time and Hurricane Leslie did not impact us at all other than a few swells.

We booked both Palo Brunch and Dinner onboard as soon as we got onboard and had a wonderful time at both. Had brunch our first sea day and dinner the last night (told our servers we would not be at dinner but dropped off our tip envelopes when we got out of Palo). We had a party of 10 at brunch and 8 at dinner.

Palo was amazing as ever!!! Don't fret if you can't get reservation before you sail. Just go to the dining changes venue (usually Rockn Bar D) when it opens and request Palo reservations.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Whether to do Palo or not depends in part on your attitude toward travel, family time, etc. We viewed vacation as a time to be together and have always done dinners as a family--a time to reconnect after whatever we did during the day, etc. I didn't eat a normal Palo dinner till my dd's 18th birthday, which we celebrated there. I don't feel that I missed a thing.

Other people feel that they want to have their adult time away from kids while on vacation--DCL has options for them too.

You'll learn your rotation at check in . There is no best or worst restaurant. Each person has a favorite. Same for the menus; the one that I don't like will be someone else's favorite.

Mickey waffles are everywhere. If you don't see them, ask.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianne_0325
I just received an email yesterday about Halloween festivities. I just booked a last minute Halloween sailing too. Here is the info from the email:

We'll be celebrating Halloween on our ships this year with several themed events, including a costume contest for our adult Guests and a special costume parade for children on the following sail dates:

Disney Magic® - October 20, 2012 and October 27, 2012
Disney FantasyTM - October 20, 2012 and October 27, 2012
Disney DreamTM - October 25, 2012 and October 28, 2012
Disney Wonder® - October 28, 2012

Though not required, we encourage Guests of all ages to bring along their costumes and join in our special Halloween celebration. On the evening of our party, children will receive candy treat bags in their staterooms that they can bring along to the party to collect even more treats. Prizes will be awarded to our adult costume contest participants based on the following categories:

Funniest
Best Group
Most Spooky
Most Original
Most Disney

More information on themed nights, times and locations will be available onboard in the Personal Navigator that will be delivered to your stateroom.

While all Guests are invited to wear costumes, we ask that you choose costumes that are not obstructive or offensive. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, we ask that when considering costume options you refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements, as these items will not be allowed onboard.
I wonder why Halloween isn't being celebrating on any of the ships ON Halloween??? Weird?
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealandsmom View Post
I wonder why Halloween isn't being celebrating on any of the ships ON Halloween??? Weird?
Those are the dates the cruise sets sail for the cruises that will celebrate Halloween, so the Oct. 27th & 28th cruises, I'm sure, will celebrate Halloween on it's actual date.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic

Those are the dates the cruise sets sail for the cruises that will celebrate Halloween, so the Oct. 27th & 28th cruises, I'm sure, will celebrate Halloween on it's actual date.
Yes, there is a bunch of stuff supposedly happening on the Wednesday of Halloween. There is trick or treating for kids and an adult costume contest. I got an email the other day about it.

Eta- duh, the email was posted a few posts up... Sorry, I didn't go back far enough.
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
ashleydisneyworld
Earning My Ears

Hi! I am so excited that you're going on a cruise, let alone the Halloween cruise! I've been on four so far with my fifth coming up in December. Your dining rotation will be on your room key but you'll also get these little tickets that tell you which restaurant for each specific night and what time you have to eat. I would say go to Palo's! You'll eat at one of the restaurants two times since it is a four night cruise, plus your daughter will more than likely love the Oceaneer's Club that she won't want to leave anyway. Have sometime for the adults and I promise you won't regret it. If you decide you don't want to go, you just have to cancel a few days before. A deep tissue massage is amazing but a facial is just as relaxing, so either of those.
Happy sailing!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info! I am looking forward to mickey waffles every day!!

still debating Palo or Remy but you know tonight my dad said he would consider a family cruise to alaska next year so maybe I will have another chance!
nycdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: