Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

How long do the busses really take?

I know you're to allow 1 hr. to get anywhere by bus, but does it really take that long? We have some 8am ADR's so I want to make sure we're not late. We'll be staying @ AoA.
DMLAINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

The actual bus ride varies but lets say the bus is at AOA at 7:00 AM you arrive at the bus stop at 7:05 you get on the next bus at 7:35 and ride 20 min to the MK you get off the bus and take the 5 or 10 minute walk to the contemporary for your 8:00 AM ADR. It really depends where you are going. I really like to take a cab for early ADRs, they are relatively cheap and can supply a car seat if needed. You will need the cab a half hour before your ADR time. I find it to be the best $20.00 I spend!

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

The rides aren't long but the waits can kill ya,
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
disneydreamerinny
I wish I could make a living planning Disney Vacations...

Yes, always plan at least an hour. Sometimes it will be less, sometimes more. Depending alot on waits as pp said. But the time does go by quickly!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
serene56
DIS Veteran

when we went in 2010 we spent more time waiting for buses then we did with actually riding them when we looked at that time and the wait for adrs we wasted one entire day
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

we always use the buses and from POP they have their own so is straight to MK or whereever your going and AoA has their own buses as well. so if you leave there by 7 AM you should be fine. it may take longer at night when parks close as all rush to buses like it is the last bus on earth. we sit and relax and have a coke or iced tea and watch people push and shove and get mad and aggravated to get on a bus...then after "that show over" we walk up get on a bus and go to the resort. simple and no stress...you can get copy of Unoffical Guide to WDW and it will show in there how long a bus is from one place to another but they also allowing more time than actually takes. now the deluxe and moderate buses are slow anywhere. and so is all star resorts as they have thre resorts on their buses and they full a lot so have to wait...
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Jjplantgeek
Earning My Ears

We have found that the closer you get to rope drop, the busier the busses at the resort. If you are going on EMH, try to get on as early as possible, if no EMH, 7 oughtta be alright.
Jjplantgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDoOver View Post
The rides aren't long but the waits can kill ya,
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I think that's an impossible question given all the variables.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse
I think that's an impossible question given all the variables.
Whoops, accidentally hit send, sorry.

As I was saying, there are so many variables, time of day, park level, handicaps, traffic, weather, shift change. You could wait 5 to 30 minutes for a bus and 15 to 60 for travel time.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

The answer very much depends what point A is an what point B is. It also depends on WHEN you are going, but yes. Allow at least an hour for most transfers, and at least 90 minutes for this one.

Much of the time, you will wait under 10minutes for a bus to arrive, and the ride will be 15minutes or less. That's the majority of the time, if you are going resort to park and back again at a typical time -8:30am, 4pm, evening.

Transfer at an unusual times- park back to a resort at 9am, or during a shift change- then the wait could be close to an hour JUST for the bus to show up. Even still, that 's the exception. During slow times- like noon, buses onely come about every 30-40 minutes. At peak times- after a parade or fireworks- bus waits are 30 to 60minutes- just to get on the bus.

The ride to DTD often takes 30+minutes- depending which resort - but absolutely from the MK area. MK is on the north end of WDW- unless you re coming froma MK area reort or POR/POFQ - any trip to MK is going to be fairly long. Epcot and HS are located in the middle of WDW, while AK is in the southwest part. From a MK area resort, the trip to AK will be long, but from most other resorts, under 15min.

Any transfer that requires two buses or modes, double everything I say. You might wait half an hour for EACH bus/boat to show. Often you are better off via taxi, IMO. Taxi's are usually only around $20 and at WDW, time is money.

Right around noon, since that is an uncommon time for guests to be moving about- there is a shift change with transportation staff. We've gotten stuck in it twice, and had the ulimate in worst case scenario. We waited half an hour for the Epcot monorail to depart, then we diverted off the express MKmonorail to the resort monorail, and that had extended delays at both Poly and GF. That's the exception, but the hop from Epcot to MK took almost two hours both timtes. It was crazy. I will also say, the last two years, we've attempted the trip from Epcot to CR at park close, and found that the monorail was not running. In that case, it also took nearly two hours to get back to CR. Normally, you take the Epcot/MK monorail, then the resort monorail -and the trip is only about 40minutes.

You mention your resort, but not your destination. If you are talking about an ADR in MK, then I would very much allow at least 90minutes. Unless it's a park with am EMH, buses only run like every half hour, so you need to make sure you are on a specififc bus. ASK at your resort!!!! You also need to allow time to enter the park (bag check, gate, walking up Main St., etc). If you are talking about a breakfast at a resort- then I may I strongly suggest a taxi. (unless it's at CR -then you could take the MK bus and walk over - allow at least 90 mintes - again ask at your resort about bus times) I have been going to WDW almost since it opened. In the last 15 years, we've never had an ADR that early, largely because you have to allow so much time for transportation. If you are trying to go to any park other than MK, taking a taxi will be faster. If you are running late, call the ront desk and they can have one waiting at the lobby ofr you in about 15mintues.

Nowadays, if you are a 'no show' for a character breakfast (i.e. more than 10minutes late), Disney will (may) charge you $10+ per person. So it's really important that you are there on time. If the breakfast is CRT or Askershus the no show fee is $20 per person! If you are just a little late, they MAY show mercy, but don't bet on it.

Best wishes!

Last edited by mickeyluv'r; 09-14-2012 at 11:09 AM.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLAINI View Post
I know you're to allow 1 hr. to get anywhere by bus, but does it really take that long? We have some 8am ADR's so I want to make sure we're not late. We'll be staying @ AoA.
Okay.....the buses start running by 6:30am, every morning, from resorts to the parks. BUT...they don't run quite as frequently as the 'regular' buses do. These early buses may run every 25 mins or so..yes, there may be a shorter wait time, but it's best to plan for a longer wait. The regular buses have a 20 min span between buses....usually less at busy times of day.
The ride from resort to park is usually less than 20 mins...and again, most are less than that.
So, if you have an 8am ADR, it all depends on where the ADR is. It really is a good idea to leave at least an hour...to be on the safe side. If you don't want to leave that much time, you may be better served by taking a cab.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
eodultis
Earning My Ears

way too long for my taste.....ugh!
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Every visit, there is one bus that we have to wait on for over an hour. I'm not exaggerating. The one that sticks out is waiting 90 minutes for a bus to AK.

This is a person with multiple skill sets
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote