Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Has he thought about maybe continuing into the Reserves, this would allow you to have Tricare Reserve Select, that's what we have and for a family our Premium is $192.89 a month with minimal out of pocket costs. I use Tricare mail order for prescriptions and they're free for a 3 month supply or $5 a month at the local pharmacy.

That would also give him an extra income and still benefit towards his retirement and education benefits.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
We like standard and we also know that retiree standard can only spend up to $3000 a year out of pocket. That is including prescriptions, copays and no premium monthly. That's pretty good. Like I said, I'm on Standard now and am very happy with my care and I went through cancer treatments on it. I like the freedom and hate HMO's so it's a good fit.

He has his bachelors and is almost done with his masters. He's used TA and not used his GI Bill. He JUST transferred the GI bill to me (I'm getting a second degree in accounting so I can actually hopefully find a job in this craptastic economy) and to the kids. That's why his enlistment is out so far.

Has he considered just staying until 30 years? That would bump up his retirement to 75%. It's a long way off though and you have time to decide.
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Has he thought about maybe continuing into the Reserves, this would allow you to have Tricare Reserve Select, that's what we have and for a family our Premium is $192.89 a month with minimal out of pocket costs. I use Tricare mail order for prescriptions and they're free for a 3 month supply or $5 a month at the local pharmacy.

That would also give him an extra income and still benefit towards his retirement and education benefits.
We've been told in the long run he'd lose money because he wouldn't be able to collect his retirement check right away if he's reserves. So he'd be losing at least $2000/month, his checks won't increase that much with reserves time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post

Has he considered just staying until 30 years? That would bump up his retirement to 75%. It's a long way off though and you have time to decide.
He has thought about staying 30. A lot depends on making rank with the new high year tenure policies. We know it's extremely hard to beat the military's retirement pay, especially for the 20-30 year mark. I think it will come down to whether he still likes his job (as of now he does) and where we get stationed. I think if we end up somewhere we find less desirable he'll get out. So far he's been pretty lucky with duty stations (4 years in AZ, 11 years in Europe and now in Alaska) but we know that may not stick.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

The only advantage for someone comming off 20 years of active going into the reserves is the chance to gain rank and bump your retirement pay-it can work out great-my father in law came off active duty after a 20 years as an O-3-he did 6 years enlisted in the navy then got out and went to college and went back as an officer-then got out in to the reserves. Stayed 15 years in the reserves and Made O-6-the bump in retirement from the reserve points and the rank boost made a huge difference in retired pay. But as the OP said it delays collecting retired pay-more than 20 years for someone who enlisted at 17 -can retire from active duty at 37 but would not collected retired pay til 60 if retiring from the reserves-unless you can make the above senario work for you which is unlikely with current time in grade requirements its definately not the way to go especially if you can find a good civilian job. OP it seems as tho you have thought this thru well and with any luck at all the economy will turn before he gets out and finding a job will be easier.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
coastiewifern
DIS Veteran

It does sound like you are well prepared. We are separating in 2013 at just over 20 years. We have the max allowed terminal leave that will put us at May 1. Currently we have about 7 months saved. I am not too hopeful we will get much more put away before then. My husband is now actively looking for a job. We find some people are happy to make contact this early and others want him to touch base when he is 30 days out. We are finding the civilian pay for his job is MUCH less but we pretty much knew that already. Congrats on getting your education maxed out. Smart move. My husband finished his MBA last year. I'm a nurse and can find work easily. Leaving some of the comforts of the military is very scary but settling our kids is worth it to us. Good luck
My only trip as a kid 1983. The Moran family tradition begins: Jan 2002-off site,Dec 2002-Contemporary,May 2003-Shades of Green,Oct 2005-Shades of Green,Oct 2008-DCL 7 day western,Nov 2009-Shades of Green,Oct 2010-DCL 7 day eastern, Aug 2011, Oct 2011, BLT Nov 2011, March 2012 offsite, Disney Dream June 2012, July 2012 Blizzard Beach, August 2012 offsite and the end of our AP, offsite Nov 2012, BTL Jan 2013
coastiewifern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
mward73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
His actual job isn't really transferable. It's just not something people do in the civilian world. BUT he has a lot of management experience and will continue to get more and there's specialized jobs within the government that he wants. But he'd take an aviation safety or management job too. He'll also look at contractors, but doesn't want to do that long term as it's not as stable. He's pretty much a desk jockey and supervisor for the rest of his career at this point.
None of the people I work with transfer. They leave the military and get a job either with industry (contractor) or the government (CIA, Navy Dept, etc). They have to be out of their military job for 6 months, then can come back and work as a civilian or contractor (assuming there's an opening and they get hired). This also works when they retire from the government and go to work as a contractor. There's several people that have retired from the military, came back as a govie, then retired from government and came back as contractors. They're getting 2 retirements and still working (they're old. lol)
mward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mward73 View Post
None of the people I work with transfer. They leave the military and get a job either with industry (contractor) or the government (CIA, Navy Dept, etc). They have to be out of their military job for 6 months, then can come back and work as a civilian or contractor (assuming there's an opening and they get hired). This also works when they retire from the government and go to work as a contractor. There's several people that have retired from the military, came back as a govie, then retired from government and came back as contractors. They're getting 2 retirements and still working (they're old. lol)
I wasn't aware he could still get two retirements with the FERS system. Will be something to look into though. His goal is to be fully retired by his early 60s though so we'll see if we can plan it well enough to make it possible.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: