Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

I don't like it with chicken breasts. I think the meat ends up way too dry. Instead, I make it with frozen leg quarters, with the skin still on. After it's done cooking, I remove the skin and take the chicken off the bone, shred it and mix it in with everything else. DD12 loves it.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

If it's the one I'm thinking of I make it at least once every 2 weeks, if not more. It's the one with chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, a can of black beans, and a bag of frozen corn? I don't drain the beans, that makes the chicken stay moist.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
buckirj1
DIS Veteran

I think whoever said the slow cooker is too large is probably the most correct. Slow cookers work best, and are safest, when filled 1/2 to 3/4 full.
buckirj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
wendow
DIS Veteran

I have made this recipe for years minus the cream cheese (son with dairy allergy). I do not use frozen chicken and my crock-pot is about 5 years old. My chicken is never dry. I cook chicken, beef and pork recipes in there all the time and nothing is every dry. Are you cooking on low and using plenty of liquid?

me , dh , dd14 , dd11 , ds5 , ds3
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Hook326
Mouseketeer

I just made this for the first time last week! Turned out wonderful, not dry at all! I used frozen chicken breasts, a jar and a half of salsa, threw in some corn, chopped up green peppers, mushrooms, and onions (uncooked for the last three ingredients). I cooked it on low for 6 hours maybe? Shredded it up...hubby ate it on rice, I ate it on tortillas My crockpot is about 2 years old and was somewhere around 1/2-2/3 full. I didn't know that made a difference though until i read that here just now!
200?-Pop Century
August 2006-ASMovies
February 2009-ASMusic-1st trip with DS#1
September 2010-CBR
November 2011-POFQ-3rd trip with DS #1 & 1st trip with DS#2! Saw the World at Christmastime
November 2012-POFQ
September 2013-1st DCL trip & MNSSHP
Hook326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I agree that the crockpot probably was to large, maybe you should try it again and double the recipe. You could freeze half and you will have a cooked meal in the freezers for another day.
I am going to try this today with skinless chicken thighs I have in my freezer and omitt the cream cheese. I will probably serve it over rice with sour cream on the side. Sounds yummy!

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
What I remember was 4 chicken breasts; jar of salsa; can of beans; can of corn (add at the end to warm up). Cook all day on low.
I do this one but I use frozen chicken, onion and red & green peppers - the vegies keep a bit more moisture in the crock pot and the chicken is tender & juicy.

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I think the secret to keeping any meat moist in a crockpot is to either shred or slice it about an hour before serving and put it back in pot. This way the meat absorbs all the liquids. Otherwise, I find it to be too dry.

Hope this helps!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #24
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Maybe the trick is to start the chicken off frozen.
Yes! that is what I do. If they are thawed you only need about 4 hours.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
Yes, that's the secret. I buy fresh chicken and freeze it! I just made chicken, carrots and potatoes in muchroom soup today. I got the recipe here...the chicken is very moist and tender but unfortunately the recipe was not a keeper!
Try replacing the mushroom soup with an 8 ounce bottle of zesty italian salad dressing.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
I think the secret to keeping any meat moist in a crockpot is to either shred or slice it about an hour before serving and put it back in pot. This way the meat absorbs all the liquids. Otherwise, I find it to be too dry.

Hope this helps!
I was thinking the same thing.

As soon as I read the idea of this recipe I was wondering how the meat could possibly be dry. I found a similar recipe (uses rotel, other spices, and cream cheese) and made it twice. Both times I shredded the meat up at the end and served it with the liquid. (It wasn't soupy, we ate it on flour tortillas)

My recipe was called a chicken chili so that's how it was supposed to look, but perhaps the recipe every one else is talking about calls for serving the chicken breasts whole?
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

As soon as I read the idea of this recipe I was wondering how the meat could possibly be dry. I found a similar recipe (uses rotel, other spices, and cream cheese) and made it twice. Both times I shredded the meat up at the end and served it with the liquid. (It wasn't soupy, we ate it on flour tortillas)

My recipe was called a chicken chili so that's how it was supposed to look, but perhaps the recipe every one else is talking about calls for serving the chicken breasts whole?
I think they come out whole and you're supposed to shred them.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzolkin View Post
perhaps the recipe every one else is talking about calls for serving the chicken breasts whole?
I don't use a recipe...just chicken and salsa in the crockpot.

But I do serve the chicken breasts whole, with spanish rice on the side.

When I take the chicken breasts out of the crockpot and put them in a storage container, I do pour some of the salsa liquid back over the chicken to help keep it moist in the fridge ( I make enough for 2 nights of dinners).
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
angierae
DIS Veteran

I think the issue is definitely that the crock needs to be at least half full. I have a prety small crock (four breasts and the assorted things to go with it pretty much fills it) and I've done roasts, and chicken and all sorts of things and I have never had anything come out dry - usually the meat is swimming in juice!

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

I make a similar recipe, but I don't use the crock-pot. I just brown my chicken breast in a pan on the stove in a little EVOO. drain it, add salsa and put it in the oven for 20 miniutes, then add cheese on top and back in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve with Cheesy Rice. Takes 30 minutes at most and the chicken is always juicy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: