Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Huluplus, netflix and Disney Jr

Just got appletv and signed up for Hulu Plus ($8 per month) and Netflix ($8 per month) to cut cost of cable but NO Disney Jr shows. Where is Jake and The Neverland Pirates, Octonauts, Mickey etc? In fact, it doesn't seem I can stream many Disney movies like Nemo, Monsters Inc etc. Am I missing something or are these programs just not available through apple TV, Huluplus and Netflix?
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

When my kids were little, we only had basic cable and only because we had terrible antenna reception in our house. When we went on vacation they could see shows on the Disney Channel in the resort or hotel and it was a real treat for them (and for us).

If you aren't able to find the shows you want, try to look at it like we did. And/Or go out and buy some DVDs of the shows or movies you want the most to have on hand.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Just got appletv and signed up for Hulu Plus ($8 per month) and Netflix ($8 per month) to cut cost of cable but NO Disney Jr shows. Where is Jake and The Neverland Pirates, Octonauts, Mickey etc? In fact, it doesn't seem I can stream many Disney movies like Nemo, Monsters Inc etc. Am I missing something or are these programs just not available through apple TV, Huluplus and Netflix?
You are not missing something. Disney is quite picky about how they license their content, and for the most part, the animation is not licensed to third-party web consolidators. Remember that Disney owns several cable networks; if you don't subscribe, they lose money.

Your children CAN live-stream some episodes of these shows on the Disney Jr. website at no charge. Do be aware of any bandwidth limitations when relying on this method, however.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Thanks! We don't watch much tv- certainly not enough to justify time Warner cable prices! So, we will make do. I wasn't sure if I just wasn't looking in the right places.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

For a lot of people Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime Instant, etc, are not replacements for cable/satellite, only additions.

They hardly have any of the shows I like to watch, and many of the shows they do have aren't complete...they will only have the first 2 seasons or something. We have basic cable (30 basic channels, no Disney, TLC, HGTV, etc) and have Netflix. They used to update with a lot more movies but lately, over the last 6 months or so, they've hardly added anything. A "new movie" for Netflix is one from 2004 in a lot of cases. Occasionally they will add a good newer movie but not often.

There really isn't a good "replacement" for cable or satellite still.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
clm10308
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this is compatible with the AppleTV, but Disney recently came out with iPad/iPhone apps for Disney Jr, Disney, and Disney XD that has a limited number of episodes from specific shows.

I am thinking of getting my DH AppleTV for Christmas, so I am interested in hearing how you like it.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
For a lot of people Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime Instant, etc, are not replacements for cable/satellite, only additions.

They hardly have any of the shows I like to watch, and many of the shows they do have aren't complete...they will only have the first 2 seasons or something. We have basic cable (30 basic channels, no Disney, TLC, HGTV, etc) and have Netflix. They used to update with a lot more movies but lately, over the last 6 months or so, they've hardly added anything. A "new movie" for Netflix is one from 2004 in a lot of cases. Occasionally they will add a good newer movie but not often.

There really isn't a good "replacement" for cable or satellite still.
I keep trying to get the point across that more and more stations/owners/providers are not giving access to many of their shows online or streaming anymore. In fact, they just changed ESPN3 to WatchESPN and you must have ESPN on your cable lineup in order to view it. Many Xbox owners are upset that they can no longer view sports this way. Netflix and Hulu are good supplements to cable/sat but they can truly never be a true substitute. Too many things I watch on cable to ditch it, plus I like the fact I can just hit one button and what I want to watch is on instead of having to search for it.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

We dropped our satellite and went with a Roku. We weren't watchng TV enough to make the satellite bill worth the cost. There are a few shows that we did enjoy but thus far it seems that we can stream them online. Only one I can't "Merlin" from Sci Fi and still figuring that one out as it is our favorite but again wasn't worth the monthly cost just to be sure we could watch that show. We find that there is plenty of content between Hulu+ and Netflix that we are not at a loss when we want to watch a show. There are also many free channels. Not sure how Apple TV works but I would guess that it is similar content wise.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Lemurone
Mouseketeer

I actually think there are a lot of people for whom Hulu and Netflix are not just substitutes but are "it." We are one of those families. Although there may be shows that my kids used to enjoy that we can't find anymore (and shows WE used to enjoy), they are pretty easy to replace. You just take what you can get for $16 a month! For example, my kids would have never discovered the old Ghostbusters cartoon series if we had cable
My husband and I are watching more Law & Order than anyone should, but there are hundreds and hundreds of episodes available
Lemurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurone View Post
I actually think there are a lot of people for whom Hulu and Netflix are not just substitutes but are "it." We are one of those families. Although there may be shows that my kids used to enjoy that we can't find anymore (and shows WE used to enjoy), they are pretty easy to replace. You just take what you can get for $16 a month! For example, my kids would have never discovered the old Ghostbusters cartoon series if we had cable
My husband and I are watching more Law & Order than anyone should, but there are hundreds and hundreds of episodes available
This is true for us. We dropped our cable about 8 months ago and are very happy with the decision. There were a few shows that I couldn't see anymore and others that I had to watch on the computer, but that was clearly worth the money saved to us. Now, I just realized that the all I have to do is plug my computer into my tv with a HDMI cable and the shows that I stream on the computer I now can see on the tv, so it seems like an even better option! I am really liking the smaller monthly bills, and my kids have adjusted just fine to not having cable (they are even *gasp* watching PBS!)

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
pookybean
Mouseketeer

Now, I just realized that the all I have to do is plug my computer into my tv with a HDMI cable and the shows that I stream on the computer I now can see on the tv,

do you have to have a certain kind of tv to do this (HD or something) or just the cable. I was wondering about this, but Im the only one I know with no cable now! i have watched some programs at the computer, but it isnt comfy sitting at the computer desk or trying to peer at the laptop!

thanks!

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
SleepyatDVC
The Untagged
... and I wasn't wearing any pants!!!!

We lived without cable for 3 years and recently signed up for the Triple Play deal because it included a higher speed internet for slightly more than what we were paying for just the internet. No deals to just add the "boost."

Guess what? We hardly watch the cable we do have now... Still Netflixing and watching shows through internet streaming which is now faster!

Only exceptions are the Food Network and HGTV which is our guilty pleasure but MAN are they a big waste of time! After the first 2 weeks, we stopped turning on the "TV" at all except to watch stuff online so we wouldn't waste time on live TV anymore.

Our old TIVO is not compatible with the new HD TVs and we haven't splurged on a new one yet. We are so not use to "live TV" anymore. Even pre-cutting cable about 3 years ago, we were TIVO addicts and were one of the first to jump on the bandwagon of DVRs.

Discovered a LOT of shows we enjoy on Netflix that we missed the first time around and get to do marathon sessions instead of waiting a week for a new episode...

Sep 1999 Marriott Cypress Harbor---May 2000 Liki Tiki---Nov 2001 BC---Nov/Dec 2001 OKW---March 2002 VWL---Sep 2002 BWV & BCV---Dec 2002 CR---Mar 2003 St. Thomas ---Jun 2003 VWL---October 2003 Marriott Grand Vista & HAL Cruise & Miami ---Jan 2004 OKW GV---Jun 2004 CCL Victory Canada ---Apr/May 2005 BWV & Marriott Cypress Harbor---Oct 2005 BWV---Feb 2006 OKW---Apr 2006 Miami ---August 2006 BWV---Feb 2007 VWL --Apr 2007 NCL Dawn 11 night S Caribbean Cruise --- Aug 2007 BWV/AKV --- Oct 2007 NCL Crown Bermuda --- Apr 2008 BWV/AKV --- Aug 2008 BWV/Marriott Cypress Harbor --- Feb 2009 Miami --- Apr 2009 NCL Pearl ---Aug 2009 CSR, BLT & DCL Magic --- Feb 2010 BWV --- July 2011 AKV ---June/July 2012 Italy/Turkey/Greece Celebrity Equinox --- Feb 2013 BWV --- Aug 2013 AKL --- Dec 2013 BWV/OKW

SleepyatDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Also, for CBS fans, take note they are the only major broadcast network who is not partnered with Hulu Plus -- as for Netflix, most TV programs generally become available, there after they are initially released on DVD.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
Now, I just realized that the all I have to do is plug my computer into my tv with a HDMI cable and the shows that I stream on the computer I now can see on the tv,

do you have to have a certain kind of tv to do this (HD or something) or just the cable. I was wondering about this, but Im the only one I know with no cable now! i have watched some programs at the computer, but it isnt comfy sitting at the computer desk or trying to peer at the laptop!

thanks!
I'm sorry I'm not tech savvy enough to know. All I did was plug an HDMI cable into the back of the tv and then into my computer and what was on my computer screen came up on the tv (once I switched to the input that the cord was plugged into.) I had watched a whole video on youtube about how to make it work, which had a lot more steps to it and I didn't have to do any of those steps at all, I just plug it in and watch. Our laptop is about 2 years old and it is a HD tv.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
jenbelle
Earning My Ears

you can find a lot of disney channel original movies on netflix and shows aimed towards older children/tweens/teens like phineas and ferb, ant farm, good luck charlie, shake it up, the suite life, etc. netflix can't afford the licensing to show disney animated movies/pixar movies/disney junior programming. disney wants people to buy the dvds (and knows that they will).

a tip for the apple tv...if you have friends or family members that buy dvds that have no use for a digital copy, see if they mind giving you the code for the download.
jenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: