DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Honestly there is just never a definite answer for every given situation. If you can't book earlier than 7 months due to lifestyle or jobs, then other than purchase price or dues it really does not matter where you own.

I have stayed at all the DVC resorts and they all have positives and negatives about every single one. You simply have to decide what your wants are, which will be personal only to you.

Fact is that even though some would have you think SSR is in outer Mongolia, it actually is "closer" to all parks than VWL, BLT, BCV, BWV, and AKV. Those resorts are close to one park or in the case of BCV and BWV, two parks but SSR and OKW are close to everything and all the parks. That is not opinion, that is fact based on actual mileage. Now certainly if you have a huge aversion to buses, you have to consider that. But if you wish to visit all parks at some point you will either have to drive yourself or take a bus irregardless of where you stay.

As you age dues will definitely be something you think more about than purchase price. 50 years is a long time to be paying something.

As to Vero being wiped out by hurricane, sure it could happen, but BCV could burn down due to all those crock pots, Forman grills, etc.

So unless you are wanting to book Beach Cottages at Vero, I would say SSR is the best value for the long term use.

Personally I would never buy at a joint DVC-nonDVC resort, as I do not think management takes as much care in them as the stand alone DVC resorts. For example look at SSR, new fire pit, new pool and counter service, new complete rehab of rooms. The rooms at BCV and VWL are older than SSR but they did not get the complete new rehab.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #32
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Do you consider Kidani and BLT "joint?" Just curious.
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #33
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
I agree.

As I only want to stay at WDW, off site resorts have never interested me.
Have you ever tried it? I was locked in to DVC as well but I will tell you that my experience is that many off site resorts are nicer, have more amenities (other than the parks), have more activities and the system is often far more responsive to the guest than the on site resorts. We do enjoy DVC but I've never stayed off and found myself wishing I was on site, at least not since I've known about timeshares. If you've never tried it and you have a trip where you don't have a lot of park time planned, I'd suggest you give it a try sometime at a top resort.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Honestly there is just never a definite answer for every given situation. If you can't book earlier than 7 months due to lifestyle or jobs, then other than purchase price or dues it really does not matter where you own.

I have stayed at all the DVC resorts and they all have positives and negatives about every single one. You simply have to decide what your wants are, which will be personal only to you.

Fact is that even though some would have you think SSR is in outer Mongolia, it actually is "closer" to all parks than VWL, BLT, BCV, BWV, and AKV. Those resorts are close to one park or in the case of BCV and BWV, two parks but SSR and OKW are close to everything and all the parks. That is not opinion, that is fact based on actual mileage. Now certainly if you have a huge aversion to buses, you have to consider that. But if you wish to visit all parks at some point you will either have to drive yourself or take a bus irregardless of where you stay.

As you age dues will definitely be something you think more about than purchase price. 50 years is a long time to be paying something.

As to Vero being wiped out by hurricane, sure it could happen, but BCV could burn down due to all those crock pots, Forman grills, etc.

So unless you are wanting to book Beach Cottages at Vero, I would say SSR is the best value for the long term use.

Personally I would never buy at a joint DVC-nonDVC resort, as I do not think management takes as much care in them as the stand alone DVC resorts. For example look at SSR, new fire pit, new pool and counter service, new complete rehab of rooms. The rooms at BCV and VWL are older than SSR but they did not get the complete new rehab.
I doubt VB/HH will separate or be wiped out by a natural disaster but I believe the risk is more that they could (either). IMO, if one can't plan at least 7 months out most of the time it's a real question whether they should own DVC.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
majortom1981
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I doubt VB/HH will separate or be wiped out by a natural disaster but I believe the risk is more that they could (either). IMO, if one can't plan at least 7 months out most of the time it's a real question whether they should own DVC.
From my experience it takes the same amount of time to get to epcot,magic kingdom , and Hollywood studios from Saratoga and Animal kingdom.

My wifes parents have Saratoga points and I have kidani points. I have stayed in both a lot. Take into account that if your at the first pickup spot in Saratoga it can take 10 min just to get out of Saratoga before even getting onto the main roads.
majortom1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
Do you consider Kidani and BLT "joint?" Just curious.
Yes. Any resort where there is a large Disney resort presence.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #37
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. Any resort where there is a large Disney resort presence.
Interesting perspective. I've never thought about it from the standpoint that stand-alone DVCs may be more likely to receive major upgrades and advanced refurbishments. Interesting observation and looking back, I can't exactly say that I could argue differently.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
The rooms at BCV and VWL are older than SSR but they did not get the complete new rehab.
Did SSR really get much more than what BCV and VWL have gotten with their refurbs? They deviated with it by redecorating and not just replacing the old with a new exact copy (although VWL got some new material too replacing the old black/white checked chair ), but when you get down to it those 3 have all only been painted and gotten soft goods and in some cases new tv cabinets or lamps.

But until they start actually redoing bathrooms and full kitchens I'd say that no resort has gotten a complete rehab.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #39
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

"Will DVC value bounce back?"

'my' DVC has grown in value as to the level of enjoyment my family has experienced since we've purchased into it.

I saved discretionary income vs financing to purchase slowly over the years, might feel different if i financed. We bought where we wanted to stay but enjoy the option to book the other resorts. If that goes by the wayside then perhaps the resale of our 'popular' resort DVC points will increase on paper but we'd never sell outright unless we'd be replacing them with more points at a different DVC resort(s) that catches our fancy.

We never considered DVC as a financial investment, moreso an entertainment expenditure that has reaped more rewards than anticipated.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
"Will DVC value bounce back?"

'my' DVC has grown in value as to the level of enjoyment my family has experienced since we've purchased into it.
.............We never considered DVC as a financial investment, moreso an entertainment expenditure that has reaped more rewards than anticipated.
well said
and before anyone mentions kool-aid, it is possible for other people to like different things than oneself without automatically dismissing "the others" as brainwashed. many people, including us, did not spend tens of thousands simply because a stranger told us it was a good idea - we researched it, found it fit our needs, and have since found buying DVC to be the good "investment" in our future we had hoped it would be.
my favorite color is periwinkle. does that mean if the popular color this year is periwinkle, i have fallen prey to popular opinion? no.....it just means i might be different than you, and for reasons of my own, i just prefer periwinkle.

again, nicely said, keisha
Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #41
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I've actually started looking to pick up some more contracts and the pickings are rather slim right now at the price I want to pay.
Just wait for those annual dues statements to go out. Things will pick back up.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #42
leeholmes1
Mouseketeer

2 comments

* I will admit I don't understand all the market calculations I have seen on this thread however there is one basic principle in play. A timeshare is never an investment. We have been DVC members since 2006 and we have used every one of our points. We love going and staying in large accomodations and it is worth it to me. We are able to invite friends and family to stay with us which we probably wouldn't be able to do if we weren't prepaying for it. I plan on owning my timeshare until it expires.

* I own at SSR and have only stayed there once. We HAVE stayed at BWV, AKL, OKW, WLV, HH, and are booked for Vero in Oct. I have never had any difficulty getting in at these resorts but I don't travel at Christmas either.
Feb 2010 THV, Jun 2009 BWV, Mar 2009 BWV (Princess Half Marathon), Dec 2008 offsite, Oct 2007 OKW, Oct 2005 All Star Sports, Jan 2001 BWV, Mar 1999 offsite, Feb 1994 offsite, Mar 1993 offsite May 1988 offsite Dec 1986 offsite

leeholmes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #43
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeholmes1 View Post
A timeshare is never an investment.
Or so conventional wisdom would suggest. The truth is that there are gems that can be a good financial investment as well as an investment in family/lifestyle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: