Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

Coral Reef ir Chefs de France

Currently have a reservation for Coral Reef, but am trying to decide if I should change it to Chefs de France. I ate at both about 4 years ago. I don't remember disliking either one. Can anyone who has been to either or both recently give their opinion?
Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

*or not ir. I can't figure out how to edit title

Also, this is for dinner not lunch.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I LOVE CHEFS/FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there two weeks ago. Great food! We started out with the cheese board, OMG fantastic! They give you 5 different kinds of cheese, huge chunks too! With bread, & grapes & walnuts. You also get the warm french baguette. My app was the warm goat cheese salad. OMG yummy! Our mains: beef short ribs with a yummy cabernet sauce & noodles. fantastic. The meat wasnt ribs on the bones but a lean tender piece of meat. Outstanding. My son had the 1/2 chicken with potatoes and loved it. Dessert was heavenly. I cant say enough about it. Just amazing. Remy was a cute bonus!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

I LOVE cheese! That's sounds yummy! I was eyeing the braised short ribs on the menu. I think I'm leaning towards Chefs because the one thing I remember about Coral Reef was having to wait a very long time (maybe 45 minutes) to be seated even with an ADR.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I have dined at both several times. I would rank the food equal in taste. I've had good and bad meals at both; the best meal I had at Coral Reef was better than the best meal I've had at Chefs. I would rank the service and wait time better at Chefs. However, the atmosphere gets a vote at Coral Reef.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I hope Chefs is better than Coral Reef.

We did Coral Reef on our last trip and were not impressed. Food was very mediocre and the tank, while cool, did not make up for that.

We're doing Chefs for this first time on this trip. Given how this restaurant has equally as mixed reviews as Coral Reef, I'm a bit nervous.

My theory on a lot of these theme park restaurants is that the most complicated and difficult to prepare dishes are the most inconsistent. Along those lines, I've read a lot of negative reviews for entrees like duck and scallops at Chefs.

In contrast, I've read far fewer negative reviews of easier to prepare items, such as the ham & cheese sandwich. So I'm thinking prix fixe lunch with that as the entree (with french onion soup as an appetizer and puff choux for dessert).
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Change to Chefs de France

I would without a doubt change to Les Chefs de France. We went to Coral Reef last year despite the bad reviews. The service and food were truly awful. We were met with a server demanding 'Who is the nut allergy?' She was really unaccommodating and told us the things my son couldn't have and told us 'there can be absolutely no substitutions'. Her accent and tone reminded us so much of Roz from Monsters Inc. She kept appearing from nowhere and when she suddenly asked 'Is everybody happy?' We all seemed to nod in unison. The whole experience was so surreal that it actually became quite funny. At dessert she would not allow my son chocolate with his icecream 'as chocolate is a nut'. We are all really good eaters and my children have adventurous tastes. I never leave food unfinished but I'm afraid the food was so poor we left a lot uneaten. In stark contrast we had a lovely time at Chefs to France with quality service and attention to detail. We went early - 5pm so we could meet Remy which turned out to be really good. He interacted really well with the children. I am considering going back to Chefs de France next summer but will never return to Coral Reef!
Princess Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

I think rude service is actually worse than bad food.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanyabeth8 View Post
I think rude service is actually worse than bad food.
Well we certainly got both at Coral Reef. We discovered after the meal you get a pretty good view of the aquarium from upstairs in The Seas. We joked that it would have been better sneaking in a counter service and sitting up there for our dinner.
Princess Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
GovieMom
DIS Veteran

Our food was fine at Coral Reef, but the service was SLOOOOW. We were seated on the top tier of the restaurant against a wall, and had to turn around if we wanted to see the acquarium. We liked the atmosphere (and food) much better at Chefs. Go there!
GovieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
ChefMickey123

I brake for Mickey

Talking

Chefs, hands down, fancy fish tank or not.
ChefMickey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
jessic2422
Mouseketeer

Remy

Does Remy only appear during certain dining times at chef de france? Can we take a 2 year old?
jessic2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
plazajane
Earning My Ears

We went to both last December. Dinner at Coral Reef. Food was fine, service was slow and waiter not friendly. Had to rush like crazy to get to Candlelight Processional because it took so long to get our bill and pay. Another day we had lunch at Chefs. Great waitress. Yummy food and we saw Remy.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

CR is one of our favs. I love the chicken dish. The most annoying thing is the wait to get the check. I don't get it, you would think they would want you out so the next people could come in! Also love Chefs. I always get the 3 course meal, even if we don't have the DP. French onion soup, braised short ribs and cremee brulee. Yum. But in Chefs I feel like if we want a sauce on the side or fries they are 'insulted'. Last time we went and DH ordered the steak with sauce on the side because the time before he wished that he did. The waiter was almost rude about it . Telling him the sauce was really good! Kinda snotty service. We have both booked for our next trip tho!!! I know ........not much help!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #15
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

A THOUSAND TIME Coral Reef!

Chefs is ok, but we're but going back.

We love Coral Reef, we've been many times and there has never been a long wait. When we get there I always go to the toilet while/after my husband checks in, I try to be quick, but for some reason when I come back they've always found a table for us in the meantime! We both LOVE the lobster ravioli. And I'm normally no ravioli fan.
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: