Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #1711
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmom View Post
Hello fellow August DISers!!! I have just read 41 pages of "What Mistake will you avoid this time" and several people said "I will never ever go in August again~!!!" I'm NEW to August--we are usually May people. After reading all those "mistakes", I got a little concerned about going in August. We did go in August once before, but it was only the last few days of August and mostly in September.

Can you tell me some GOOD things about August? We're going regardless, but I'm just a little nervous!!
This will be our fourth late August trip. It's a good week for us because both dh and the kids are off and traditionally there are very good discounts that week.
It's all in how you approach it. If I went in August, and toured all day without a break then I would have a miserable trip too. We've found what works for us and it works really well. When we ignore the plan (last Labour Day ) we are miserable.

First and foremost get to the parks for rope drop. It's cooler and less busy in the morning and you'll get twice as much done before the mid day heat blast.
Then, you can take a rest, or a swim back at the resort in the middle of the day which will be the hottest.
Traditionally there is a thunder storm every afternoon. They pass quickly and cool things off. They really aren't a bad thing
We head back into the parks for a dinner reservation and some more park time in the evenings.
We find this makes for a perfect day. You also pretty much move from one air conditioned attraction to the next. If you drink TONS of water to make sure you stay hydrated you should be able to have a wonderful time. I wouldn't worry too much
__________________
pigletto is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #1712
B's Marie
Mouseketeer
 
B's Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post

I can totally relate!
Thumbs up!
__________________
DH DS DD DD
YC CL 2013 HRH 2011 HRH 8/09 Poly 8/07 POFQ 8/05 AKL 8/01

B's Marie is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #1713
joshsmom
I baked a cake, put on respectable clothing, and I'm ringing the bell!
Has several really odd traits - typical DISer
I'm a blubbering, sentimental MESS!!!
 
joshsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 4,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Why did they say no to August? Except for last year, every other recent trip (past 7 years basically) we've gone in early to mid August. I admit it's ridiculously hot and humid, but it's also FL and it was still that way in September when we went last year. It's crowded, but not as much as Christmas. Not sure how it is during Spring Break time. We've always had pretty good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
From what I read, it was just absolutely unbearable heat and humidity, needing to change clothes several times a day. It was recommended NOT to go to WS at Epcot during the day--or AK at all because of the humidity. We're going to all the parks and we're going to tough it out. We have a pre-trip walking plan for our local park so that we can get used to walking in heat/humidity (I live near St. Louis--there's plenty of BOTH here). I am hoping that its just a case of "everyone's different" and its not AS BAD as what it sounded. But being May people with not as much heat/humidity, just got a little nervous.
__________________
Summer 1989--Off property April 1990--Off property June 1993--Off property September 2001--ASMo April 2003--GKTW January 2004--ASMo May 2005--ASMo May 2006--ASMo May 2007--ASMo August 2008--ASMo May 2010--ASMo November 2010--Contemporary May 2012--ASMu August 2013--ASMo June 2014--ASMu March 2015 Disneyland! Camelot Inn
joshsmom is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #1714
joshsmom
I baked a cake, put on respectable clothing, and I'm ringing the bell!
Has several really odd traits - typical DISer
I'm a blubbering, sentimental MESS!!!
 
joshsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Granite City, IL
Posts: 4,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
First and foremost get to the parks for rope drop. It's cooler and less busy in the morning and you'll get twice as much done before the mid day heat blast.
Then, you can take a rest, or a swim back at the resort in the middle of the day which will be the hottest.
Traditionally there is a thunder storm every afternoon. They pass quickly and cool things off. They really aren't a bad thing
We head back into the parks for a dinner reservation and some more park time in the evenings.

We find this makes for a perfect day. You also pretty much move from one air conditioned attraction to the next. If you drink TONS of water to make sure you stay hydrated you should be able to have a wonderful time. I wouldn't worry too much
This makes me feel better. Although we really aren't RD people, we do drink tons of water anyway. We're not big on soda or other drinks. My son likes Gatorade and we will have that with us. We don't usually go back to the resort mid-day, but I have most of my ADRs planned for lunch, which I thought would be a nice mid-day break from the heat and humidity. We're also known to go on the Peoplemover (TTA) several times (or other such rides) to escape to a cool spot for awhile.

Thanks for the above!! It helps!!
__________________
Summer 1989--Off property April 1990--Off property June 1993--Off property September 2001--ASMo April 2003--GKTW January 2004--ASMo May 2005--ASMo May 2006--ASMo May 2007--ASMo August 2008--ASMo May 2010--ASMo November 2010--Contemporary May 2012--ASMu August 2013--ASMo June 2014--ASMu March 2015 Disneyland! Camelot Inn
joshsmom is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #1715
jdd
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
This will be our fourth late August trip. It's a good week for us because both dh and the kids are off and traditionally there are very good discounts that week.
It's all in how you approach it. If I went in August, and toured all day without a break then I would have a miserable trip too. We've found what works for us and it works really well. When we ignore the plan (last Labour Day ) we are miserable.

First and foremost get to the parks for rope drop. It's cooler and less busy in the morning and you'll get twice as much done before the mid day heat blast.
Then, you can take a rest, or a swim back at the resort in the middle of the day which will be the hottest.
Traditionally there is a thunder storm every afternoon. They pass quickly and cool things off. They really aren't a bad thing
We head back into the parks for a dinner reservation and some more park time in the evenings.
We find this makes for a perfect day. You also pretty much move from one air conditioned attraction to the next. If you drink TONS of water to make sure you stay hydrated you should be able to have a wonderful time. I wouldn't worry too much
Yep, this is what we do exactly - rope drop, usually schedule our sit down meal for early afternoon (1:00pm) to cool off and wind down. Afternoon at the pool and back to the parks for the evening when it's cooler. We always take lots of water and spray/mist fans. Honestly, it gets just as hot and humid in Pittsburgh in the summer (at least the last few years) so we really didn't notice much difference. And since everything is air-conditioned, it wasn't an issue at all for us. And we love taking a late night dip in the pool - can't do that in the cooler months

You'll have a great time!!
__________________
(DS17) (DS14) (DS9)
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR, Feb2015-CBR, Aug2015-PolyCL
jdd is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #1716
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd View Post
Yep, this is what we do exactly - rope drop, usually schedule our sit down meal for early afternoon (1:00pm) to cool off and wind down. Afternoon at the pool and back to the parks for the evening when it's cooler. We always take lots of water and spray/mist fans. Honestly, it gets just as hot and humid in Pittsburgh in the summer (at least the last few years) so we really didn't notice much difference. And since everything is air-conditioned, it wasn't an issue at all for us. And we love taking a late night dip in the pool - can't do that in the cooler months

You'll have a great time!!
I totally agree. I'm in Ontario and the temperatures and humidity are comparable.
On our winter trips we manage to spend longer days in the parks but on our summer trips we get more pool time. It evens out.
In fact, it was so cold on the last two days of our February trip I would have preferred August.
__________________
pigletto is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #1717
FlaNani
Mouseketeer
 
FlaNani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 230

Old Key West 8/25-8/29

August 25-29

Old Key West Resort

ADRs- (so far)

8/27 @ 9:30am - Crystal Palace

8/28 @ 12:20pm - Hollywood and Vine

I'm going to try to put up the Lime Green Mickeys but we are staying with friends and I do not know if they will be ok with it (but they are Disney Fanatics so they might).
Our friends are DVC members and they book the villa for us and our mutual granddaughter. We have a few days of total spoiling time with the grandbaby with no parents around!!!
__________________
I've visited the World more times than I can count! Now I'm introducing my granddaugter to the magic!

FlaNani is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1718
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel4569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmom View Post
Hello fellow August DISers!!! I have just read 41 pages of "What Mistake will you avoid this time" and several people said "I will never ever go in August again~!!!" I'm NEW to August--we are usually May people. After reading all those "mistakes", I got a little concerned about going in August. We did go in August once before, but it was only the last few days of August and mostly in September.

Can you tell me some GOOD things about August? We're going regardless, but I'm just a little nervous!!
I've not done August before but we went the first week of September when DD1 turned 5 and I can't imagine it being much different than the last couple weeks of August. Our girls were 5 and 2 and we went commando the whole week. The only day that was really bad was the last day we were there. It was near 100 with 100% humidity and just getting from the room to the bus and the bus to the park was a bit of a beat down.

Aside from the heat though, the crowds were very manageable. The only thing that had a wait that we felt was unreasonable was TSM. It was still pretty new back then though. We had skipped Epcot on that trip too. We did shows at AK to get out of the sun a bit. Did the Tiki Room at MK, stopped in the lobby of the Hall of Presidents, etc to cool off. We also had the DxDP and had character meals throughout the day. That was another nice break.

The only day that was "busy" when we were there in September was the last day and that was because MK closed early for the Night of Joy concert. Again we were pretty worn out from going the whole week though so we were kind of glad.

We did commando the last trip and decided that we would schedule a rest day in the middle of our trip next time so we don't get burned out.

This year we are hitting the water parks and plan to get some pool time in as well. The kids love swimming and the pools but it was too cold last November when we were there.
__________________
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1719
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran
 
squirrel4569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 904

Need opinions.

Our basic schedule is like this. We don't have PH on our tickets so we're doing a park a day.

8/18 - MK
8/19 - EP
8/20 - Resort pools & BB/TL
8/21 - DHS
8/22 - MK

The only problem I have is I'm looking at the updated calendar for August and on 8/21 DHS is closing at 8:30pm. The rest of the week it's open until 10. If we switch it to 8/19 there are evening EMH but the park might be more crowded that day. The only thing we're really set on is starting and ending at MK. I have ADRs for Akerhus and H&V pre-RD, but probably could reschedule them. I know that there is a bunch of stuff at DHS we want to do that we haven't done before so having more time might be a good thing, especially if we're planning that midday break.

What would you do?
__________________
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #1720
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!
 
Anna114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,207

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
Need opinions.

Our basic schedule is like this. We don't have PH on our tickets so we're doing a park a day.

8/18 - MK
8/19 - EP
8/20 - Resort pools & BB/TL
8/21 - DHS
8/22 - MK

The only problem I have is I'm looking at the updated calendar for August and on 8/21 DHS is closing at 8:30pm. The rest of the week it's open until 10. If we switch it to 8/19 there are evening EMH but the park might be more crowded that day. The only thing we're really set on is starting and ending at MK. I have ADRs for Akerhus and H&V pre-RD, but probably could reschedule them. I know that there is a bunch of stuff at DHS we want to do that we haven't done before so having more time might be a good thing, especially if we're planning that midday break.

What would you do?
I would leave your schedule as it is. If you are there at rope drop at HS, fast pass TSM you should get almost if not everything done. Being there at rd by 8:30 that night you will be ready to go back to the resort. Since it is your second to last day, if it were me, I would start packing souvenirs and the clean clothes we will not be using but that's just me.
__________________
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!


Anna114 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #1721
Anna114
Pluto Rocks!
 
Anna114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,207

We still have 123 days but I can't stop planning We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. My husband and I are going with our 23yo son and our 17yo son. Go figure, they both want to go. This was my 23 yo's idea... my guess, he can drink on our dime

Our ADR's were made at the 180 day mark.

8/18 MK 6:15 at HDDR
8/20 AK 6:20 at Artist Point (our anniversary dinner)
8/21 EP 5:00 at Biergarten (our 23yo birthday dinner)
8/22 MK 4:45 at Be our Guest
8/23 HS 7:30 at Raglan Road (17yo birthday dinner) my Irish son Patrick
8/24 EP 2:00 at Villa Napoli (good pizza and I'm from NY)
8/25 Day off my boys can go anywhere they want w/out us
8/26 EP 12:00 at Rose and Crown
(I think I posted our ADR's but I'm obsessing today sorry )
After the R&C I'll watch one last off Kilter and then back to the resort to head back to MCO

I've already made an account for Garden Grocer and have items in my cart. Since we are staying in a room with a kitchen we will make breakfast most mornings. We are not a fan of the Disney egg sandwich in the morning .

I have the box I need to send a few things down to the resort. I've already started my list of things I need to bring down for my owners locker (zip loc bags and Tide pods)

With the way I'm acting you would think this is my first time down there not my 14th. I'm guessing it's because it will most likely be the last time the 4 of us go away together, alone. I'm grateful for this last time. Still, I'm going to miss the opportunity to go to Ireland (it was suppose to be our anniversary trip)

SO, is anyone else, already in a bad way... like me
__________________
5/1988 POLY (Honeymoon) 2/1998 Offsite 5/2002 Caribbean Beach 5/2006 Wilderness Lodge 12/2007 POP 8/2009 Port Orleans Riverside 5/2010 POLY CL (Anniversary) 10/2010 SSR 1/2011 OKW 8/2011 FW Cabins & VWL 12/2011 SSR 5/2012 VWL 9/2012 VWL 8/2013 VWL 25th Ann. w/my boys 5/2014 AKV 12/2014 VWL 5/2009 DVC Owners Villas at Wilderness lodge!


Anna114 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1722
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran
 
momto3gr8boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 2,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna114 View Post

SO, is anyone else, already in a bad way... like me
Don't feel bad...I'm also in a bad way!! I'm planning three trips from May-August and I'm treating it like a full time job, much to my family's dismay lol. Hey, the way I look at it, all the planning just makes the vacation longer
__________________
Christine DWDS(18) DS(16)DS(13)Picasso








*******************************************
momto3gr8boys is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #1723
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna114 View Post
We still have 123 days but I can't stop planning We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. My husband and I are going with our 23yo son and our 17yo son. Go figure, they both want to go. This was my 23 yo's idea... my guess, he can drink on our dime

Our ADR's were made at the 180 day mark.

8/18 MK 6:15 at HDDR
8/20 AK 6:20 at Artist Point (our anniversary dinner)
8/21 EP 5:00 at Biergarten (our 23yo birthday dinner)
8/22 MK 4:45 at Be our Guest
8/23 HS 7:30 at Raglan Road (17yo birthday dinner) my Irish son Patrick
8/24 EP 2:00 at Villa Napoli (good pizza and I'm from NY)
8/25 Day off my boys can go anywhere they want w/out us
8/26 EP 12:00 at Rose and Crown
(I think I posted our ADR's but I'm obsessing today sorry )
After the R&C I'll watch one last off Kilter and then back to the resort to head back to MCO

I've already made an account for Garden Grocer and have items in my cart. Since we are staying in a room with a kitchen we will make breakfast most mornings. We are not a fan of the Disney egg sandwich in the morning .

I have the box I need to send a few things down to the resort. I've already started my list of things I need to bring down for my owners locker (zip loc bags and Tide pods)

With the way I'm acting you would think this is my first time down there not my 14th. I'm guessing it's because it will most likely be the last time the 4 of us go away together, alone. I'm grateful for this last time. Still, I'm going to miss the opportunity to go to Ireland (it was suppose to be our anniversary trip)

SO, is anyone else, already in a bad way... like me
Um, it doesn't stop for me. Ever. I plan a trip, take a trip, come home, plan a trip, take a trip, come home...

I live for our family vacations. It could really be anywhere, it's the time together. My kids (16, and 9) are getting bigger every day and I've become acutely aware that in no time they may not want to spend as much time with us
We always have such a good time. It's *our* place. I tried to talk them into somewhere else this summer and while they didn't complain there was zero enthusiasm so I figure why fix something that isn't broken.

I do understand your sadness about your Ireland trip. I really want to go to Banff and Italy and an Alaskan cruise, but for us, dh and I will have so much time when it's just us in the years to come we might as well do Disney now

I plan because it's fun! I am determined not to overplan our August trip and we are definitely doing some offsite stuff and staying offsite.

However, our surprise Christmas trip is already paid for
__________________
pigletto is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #1724
Loreli
Mouseketeer
 
Loreli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 386

Question of the Day?

What do you want as souvenirs? Do you have something in mind or do you bring a "wad of cash" for an impulse purchase?
__________________
Loreli DH (refuses to go to Florida)
DD : 8 & DD 11
Loreli is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #1725
Loreli
Mouseketeer
 
Loreli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 386

Someone asked pages ago about long hair and how to keep it tamed in the humidity and heat. (and I am too lazy to go back looking to quote them here) I have painfully straight hair so frizz is not an option no less an issue. My hair is currently half way down my back and I plan on cutting it soon so I can have nice shortish hair - above the shoulder. I think that will help me from resorting to the ponytail, which is not a good look on me. I think to myself "it will grow back so why not be cool and stylish in Disney?" I will not get a style which requires hair products and styling to then be ruined by my hat or Splash Mountain. Just a cute cut. I know many women won't cut their long hair, but I just want easy hair this Summer and this trip.
__________________
Loreli DH (refuses to go to Florida)
DD : 8 & DD 11
Loreli is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
august 2013, lgmh, planning, resorts, restaurants



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: