Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran
 
ProudMommyof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RedSox/Patriots Nation
Posts: 2,496

Have you ever cancelled before full payment and gambled on *GT?

Our 4 day Dream cruise prices have remained at the original release prices. There appears to be plenty of cabins at all price levels. Our payment in full date is not until the end of January, but I know it will kill me if the next day they offer deeply discounted *GT rates.

I know all the restrictions with the *GT rates and that it isn't really the same product, but still I would rather have the option of choosing which product I am willing to pay for w/o a penalty.

So just wondering- has anyone done this? Did you regret it?
__________________
Me(Pam) DH DS15 DD12

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!
 
Luv2Diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 1,166

I am thinking of doing this same thing. On our last cruise, DCL came out with VGT rates nearly as cheap as the OV rates a couple weeks after the PIF date passed.
__________________
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

I didn't do it on our May cruise. I had a day 1 reservation with a 10% discount. They did come out with IGT/OGT/VGT rates for the cruise, but my rate was still a little less than the restricted fares. Yeah, compulsive me went back to my invoice and checked.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!
 
jiminyC_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 15,430

I did it on the 2005 PC cruise. I am so happy I did it because I loved the room and ask for it on every cruise now.
__________________
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner
 
texasgirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 402

I wish I had. I was tempted to but kept my reservation. When the VGT rates came out 2 Guarantee Verandahs rooms cost $3300 less than my adjacent 7A and 8C. I ended up canceling my reservation and losing my $2200 deposit. But I still paid $1100 less for better rooms. I was nervous about having my rooms assigned but ended up getting connecting 4Bs. If I had canceled before PIF I would have saved $3300 instead of $1100....live and learn.
__________________
texasgirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
foohpah
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 409

I am doing this exact thing for our November Fantasy cruise. Paid in full date was today so anxious to see what rates come out now. We did book a WDW package for the same dates as a backup plan. We are happy with either vacation so it was a gamble we were prepared to take.
__________________
Rebecca


Next trip: WDW and Universal - June/July 2014

WDW - Dec 1999, May 2000, Jan 2001, May 2001, Feb 2004, Feb 2006, Nov 2007, Jun 2009, May 2010, Jun 2011
DCL - Wonder - Feb 2006, Magic - Dec 2006 & Dec 2008, Dream - Jun 2011, Fantasy - Nov 2012
foohpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,739

I wish I had. Instead I paid in full then later canceled and rebooked the VGT rate. Totally worth it but, of course, I wish I had known. I think someone on our cruise canceled before the PIF date and took that gamble and got the GT rate.
__________________
luv2sleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
MagicMe
DIS Veteran
 
MagicMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside Philly, PA
Posts: 4,192

Thinking about this. My cruise is in less than two weeks. I currently had booked on board so I have the 10% off and an OBC. Not counting the OBC, my cruise offered a VGT for $150 more than I paid for my inside 11a! Makes me ponder whether to cancel the dummy dates I have and if I'll book on board again. Especially since most of the sail dates in September have GT rates. I wouldn't count on them for anything during the peak times or new itineraries so may have to keep a dummy at least until I know what's coming for 2014.
__________________
Melodie
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...


MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Mineu
DIS Veteran
 
Mineu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Iberia, Louisiana
Posts: 908

I'm thinking of doing this. We have one room on points and one on cash and the ship is not full-so, might cancel the cash and hope for a better rate-if i can get two rooms at a discount-might move the point room to a different cruise as well...
Mineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
quickcat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 365

This is what I am planning to do. We have 2 cruises in mind and both have all availability. I am hoping one will for sure have the VGT rates and we'll go with that one. It saves so much money that I am willing to wait.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!
 
disneymagicgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by foohpah View Post
I am doing this exact thing for our November Fantasy cruise. Paid in full date was today so anxious to see what rates come out now. We did book a WDW package for the same dates as a backup plan. We are happy with either vacation so it was a gamble we were prepared to take.
If it comes out please let me know so I can add it here
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...te+compilation

I am hoping to get a *GT rate for May/June and cancel my OBB for Fall. Looking at this year, it seems quite likely, unless they change their strategies.
__________________
Me33DH35,DD15,DS6 DS4
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,177

We went halfway and downgraded our 5A before PIF to a 7A GTY. We had booked onboard, so a VGT at best was likely to only save us $200 more than the 7A GTY. We ended up canceling the cruise due to a work commitment, but someone else on our cruise with a 7A GTY reported receiving a 5A. I would definitely do that again. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
KPOP
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 178

Can someone explain to me the potential savings here? .

I'm considering my next cruise for Aug. 2014, and had thought that by booking early (1st day?) that I'd be getting the best possible rate...
I'd be looking at 2 inside cabins, I think 11C?
I don't mind gambling and waiting if the potential is there for savings -

Thanks!
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
KPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
LyndaC
Mouseketeer
 
LyndaC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belmont CA
Posts: 341

I'm booked on the September 30th California Coast sailing. I had an inside cabin booked, but looking at how many cabins were still available and the fact that they posted IGT, OGT and VGT rates for the sailings before mine, I cancelled before the PIF date.

I didn't go for the GT rates because before they were released they posted a 25% discount for Disneyland AP's, so for a few hundred dollars more than I had originally paid for an inside cabin, I've now got my beloved 7120, navigators cabin.
__________________
Lynda
387 miles north of where the magic began
LyndaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran
 
ProudMommyof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RedSox/Patriots Nation
Posts: 2,496

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaC View Post
I'm booked on the September 30th California Coast sailing. I had an inside cabin booked, but looking at how many cabins were still available and the fact that they posted IGT, OGT and VGT rates for the sailings before mine, I cancelled before the PIF date.

I didn't go for the GT rates because before they were released they posted a 25% discount for Disneyland AP's, so for a few hundred dollars more than I had originally paid for an inside cabin, I've now got my beloved 7120, navigators cabin.
When you went to rebook, did you note what the cabin you cancelled was going for-not *GT rate? Was it similar or more than what you originally booked for.
Because, if worse case is I rebook non-*GT after cancelling that is OK. Just wondering if they raise the prices of non- *GT when they offer the *GT?
Does that make sense?
__________________
Me(Pam) DH DS15 DD12

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.