Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel

We are trying to decide between Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel for an early March trip. I have no idea what sets these resorts apart except for the price and pools, but I also don't know how much pools matter when we are going in March.

We've been to Disneyland for a couple of 2-day trips, but it has been a few years and we only had one infant with us on the last visit. We've always stayed at an area hotel, but this time we want to take advantage of the military discount and stay at a DL resort hotel. We will be traveling with our two children, who will be almost 5 and almost 2, if that helps people to advise.

I went ahead and booked us at Paradise Pier because it is less expensive, but if Disneyland Hotel is exponentially better, I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars more for a much better hotel.

Any tips? Will we be happy enough at Paradise Pier or do we switch to Disneyland Hotel? (I've already decided that Grand Californian is out of our budget.)

Thanks in advance for any help/information you can give.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

One of the big differences I think of when I compare the two is that the walk from DLH (I think it's the longest of the 3 resorts depending on room placement) is the most Disney immersive. You walk entirely through DTD. The PPH is on a main road that you cross at a cross light and cut through the GCH to get into DTD or DCA.
Also, the DLH is right next to the DTD monorail, so if you love the monorail, that'd be a perk.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

I'm a little biased because I've only stayed at the PPH but it was fantastic! The walk was very quick to the parks which made an afternoon rest very, very easy. The staff was great but I'm sure they are at DLH as well. The price is definitely right as well -- you get the Disney magic at a very decent rate.

It would be a tough call but whatever you choose will be great!!

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas/New Years 2012-2013, February 2015

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 16 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

If you can swing a park view room at Paradise Pier, that's a good choice. You can watch World of Color from there--obviously it's not the best view, but I understand it's very pretty and with a 2-year-old and a 5-year-old, that may just be your best bet at seeing the show in any form. I think it would be just enchanting to look out at the park, and if your kids need naps it'd be nice to have the view.

I wasn't particularly impressed at the Paradise Pier without a park view...it was fine, but aside from the enchanting walk and the early entry (both of which were wonderful), the room and property itself didn't feel very magical to me. So if you can't do park view, I'd lean toward Disneyland Hotel, assuming the money difference won't make any significant difference in your budget. But I haven't stayed there in what, 12 years, so I can't speak for that hotel. I think either hotel will be nice and fine for you and your family.

Have a great trip!
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

We have stayed at all Disneyland hotels. Our first choice if money were no object would be GCH. But between the PPH and DLH we would choose PPH. We were at the DLH during the remodel and the 4 night say was just not that great. We used the pool a couple of days (mid-March) and it was always pretty crowded.

At the PPH hotel we used the pool in October and there was only one other family. My kids went down the slide over and over for an hour straight. They were the only ones using it. The walk to the parks was so much better for us than the long haul through Downtown Disney. For our family Downtown Disney is just a distraction for our kids who want to go in every single store

And the walk from the monorail is a little further than you would think when holding a sleeping 6-year-old.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

This is my opinion after having stayed at both hotels. In our last trip (late march-1st week of april) we stayed at the DL because renovations were done & we could guarantee our boys a "new room" and the Monorail Pool. They had a blast and the pool has little slides for your kiddos ages.

We like PPH and we are actually staying there in late sept., this time mostly because we got a great deal on the room. I'm not sure that your kids will be able to use the pool slide (I can't remember if there is a height requirement, we haven't stayed there in over 2 years), but besides that it is a cute hotel & you get all the benefits.

Since your kids are still so young, I would happily stay at PPH and save that extra money for the next trip . You also have the benefit of watching fireworks from the pool area without having to claim a bench or space an hour before they start.

Have fun!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
capeseal
DIS Veteran

You guys are making my decision harder, not easier

This morning I switched us to DH and now I want to switch us back to PP. Even worse, I talked to the same awesome agent last night and this morning and now I'm worried if I get her again and change again, I will be flagged as a crazy person in the system. I never have these problems making decisions when we book at WDW.

I also need a husband who has an opinion beyond, "Book whatever looks best to you."

Are there slides at the Paradise Pier pool? Are there slides for little kids? Will it matter in early March?

Should I just book us at the Grand Californian?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
elaw
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at all 3 of them many times .... I personally rank them:

1) GCH (Deluxe Theme Park View)
2) DLH (Adventure Tower, Premium DTD VIew)
3) PPH (Deluxe Theme Park View)

I'd stick with the DLH ... IMHO ... it has a much better pool and disney feel to it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
xtyr
Earning My Ears

Hope I don't make your decision even harder... I have stayed at all 3 and most recently stayed at Paradise Pier 2 years ago when my boys were 5. I know you are going in March so not sure about the pool but the slide at PP was perfect for my 5 year olds. I felt comfortable because it was smaller and the pool was in a smaller area.

PP is my favorite of the 3, but it's been 16 years since we have stayed at the DL hotel so we are trying it out again in 3 weeks. I think with the remodel it will be great and now that the boys are 7, I will feel more comfortable with the larger pool area.

The Grand was OK, but more like a lodge. I think with kids 5 and 2, they will enjoy the character themes at PP and DLH a lot more.

Good luck with your decision and have fun!!
xtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal
You guys are making my decision harder, not easier

This morning I switched us to DH and now I want to switch us back to PP. Even worse, I talked to the same awesome agent last night and this morning and now I'm worried if I get her again and change again, I will be flagged as a crazy person in the system. I never have these problems making decisions when we book at WDW.

I also need a husband who has an opinion beyond, "Book whatever looks best to you."
I actually laughed out loud when I read this!! I have felt this way on every trip that I have planned. I think I have made changes to each and every one!
I hope you have a great trip and that your DH remembers to thank you for all your efforts!!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

You really can't go wrong; they're all good hotels. I say pick one and stick to it.

Given the price difference, I wouldn't personally book GCH unless proximity to the parks is a HUGE priority for you. I understand the rooms are notably smaller and the neatest areas, like the lobby, are accessible to the public.

Then again, maybe you should switch to GCH for a day or so, just so you can say you booked them all. Plus, if your husband said to "book whatever looks good to you" I think you should hold him to that.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Lavender Mom
Earning My Ears

I love both DLH and PPH. They're both great. I do like DLH better. IMO, it's the grounds of the DLH that really give it the edge. They really add a lot of magic.

At the same time, we really enjoyed our last stay at PPH. We made a point to walk through the DLH grounds on our way to and from the park a couple of times and that was good enough for me. The kids were perfectly happy with the pool at the PPH. They didn't even express any pool envy when we walked past the DLH pool. I loved watching World Of Color from the top floor. (We didn't have a view room. We just rode he elevator up and watched from the hallway.)

Either hotel is fabulous. DLH is better, but if I'm watching my budget, I'll happily stay at PPH.
Lavender Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Typing this from PPH... This is my first stay at PPH but I have also stayed at DLH and GCH in the past. I think everyone above is correct (even thought they don't all agree ) PPH has the least Disney "magic" and feel. But we have one of the Upper Level park view rooms and watching WoC just now from our room was AMAZING. The room we have sleeps 5 and seems pretty comparable to the DLH room we had in the past. GCH rooms are a bit smaller.
I can definitely see how PPH would be pretty 'Meh' without the theme park view. But....
I took this picture from my hotel room about 2 hours ago.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
Typing this from PPH... This is my first stay at PPH but I have also stayed at DLH and GCH in the past. I think everyone above is correct (even thought they don't all agree ) PPH has the least Disney "magic" and feel. But we have one of the Upper Level park view rooms and watching WoC just now from our room was AMAZING. The room we have sleeps 5 and seems pretty comparable to the DLH room we had in the past. GCH rooms are a bit smaller.
I can definitely see how PPH would be pretty 'Meh' without the theme park view. But....
I took this picture from my hotel room about 2 hours ago.
Amazing picture!!! I think, even if we stayed at PP, we wouldn't be able to spring for a park view, but I'll check out the price comparisons.

In terms of Disney feel, it isn't the most important thing on our list, though I wonder if it will become more important as the kids get older. On the majority of our last trips to WDW, we stayed at Shades of Green. And while it is on property, and really lovely, there is not a big, immersive Disney feel to the resort. So we are used to things not feeling super Disney in our hotel.

Off to compare prices on park view at PP vs standard at DLH.

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful opinions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: