Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #151
gamax7
Earning My Ears

We are first time cruisers so don't have the answer except what we have read. But I bought the kids pins to trade from ebay for Christmas and they want to trade pins. I read that trading pins on the ship is bigger than at WDW and the kids loved trading them there.
gamax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #152
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Welcome everybody! Sounds like we will have a big group of first timers this trip!

They have a couple of nights where they brought out pin stations and staff stood around them to trade pins. Some of the captains and what not also were there to trade pins with as well. I didn't find that every staff member had on a lanyard with pins like most do in WDW, but it's still fun!

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #153
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4w View Post
Hey all! New to all this stuff. Just found out about this cruise and couldn't pass it up! Our first cruise! Our first disney cruise! Went to WDW October 2011!

Tom & Tracy, and two boys (7&9)
definitely participating in FE (if possible - won't know room # until cruise)
"main seating" for dining

Anything else we need to let anyone know, just let us know!

Any and all tips for first timers more than welcome!!!
Gotcha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephandy03 View Post
We just booked today! Can we join the FE if we don't have a room number? We are 9C GTY. What happens if we don't get our room number until we leave?

Stephanie (mom), Andy (dad), Tyler (6 yo boy), Isabella (3 yo girl)

Late dining, waitlisted for early
Gotcha
Quote:
Two questions:
1) Anyone on board planning pin trading? My two boys LOVED to trade pins at WDW, but didn't know if it was done on the boat?
2) Do the staff have pins? I know at WDW, they had to trade...

Thanks
They do have pin trading onboard and a special "officers pin trading" one evening. Keep a sharp eye out. Almost all of the cast members who hand out hand wipes outside the restaurants have lanyards and quite a few others do as well.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #154
t4w
Time for Everything

Awesome!!!

Thanks for the help about pin trading - we will get another "starter kit" and let them at it!

Also, the FE list has one of our DS listed as a girl (but it doesn't which one, so we decided not to try and figure that out and just ask for an update to the FE list) - Thank you for compiling the list and all the work that must go into such things.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #155
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the help about pin trading - we will get another "starter kit" and let them at it!

Also, the FE list has one of our DS listed as a girl (but it doesn't which one, so we decided not to try and figure that out and just ask for an update to the FE list) - Thank you for compiling the list and all the work that must go into such things.
Dunno what happened with that.
But it's right now.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #156
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

To split or not to split.

I've got a poll going on the facebook group, simple majority rules.
http://www.facebook.com/messages/?__...1296067279195/
Basically the options are

The FE is currently at 21 rooms and over 70 participants. To split into two FEs or not to split, that is the question... Which would y'all like?

Two small(er) groups, please!
One big group, please!
Let's split if we get over 30 rooms, or over 100 people
I'm not doing the FE this cruise.

Simple majority rules. I'm going to let it go at least through the weekend and then see how many votes we've got each way. That'll give everyone who signs up for FE at the last minute a little while to find the poll.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #157
gamax7
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Gotcha

Gotcha

They do have pin trading onboard and a special "officers pin trading" one evening. Keep a sharp eye out. Almost all of the cast members who hand out hand wipes outside the restaurants have lanyards and quite a few others do as well.
Thanks the kids were so excited to get the pins so they can trade it would be horrid with they were not able to do so
gamax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #158
heastonfam
Earning My Ears

I am so glad you asked about this. We've been to Disney World/Land several times but my girls seemed too little to care about pin trading. When I mentioned it to them yesterday they got ALL excited! So, we got on Ebay and bought a starter stash of pins and the girls are each making their own lanyards, they are super excited to trade on board!! Thanks for sharing!
heastonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #159
texastraubs
Earning My Ears

Question Questions (don't laugh)!!

We're getting sooooo excited for our cruise on the Magic (and I'm quite possibly getting moderately obsessed)!! I feel like 'planning for the cruise' has become my new hobby.

Here are my questions:

1. What does DIS of the DISboard stand for? I'm assuming it's something more than just 'Disney' because I've seen you all refer to others as DISers, etc.

2. Are we able to request our dining room rotation order? If so, what do you think is the best rotation?

3. What are most people doing in Cozumel?

4. Do we have any ideas about the weather? Does it get pretty chilly in the evenings?

Last one, I promise...

5. How do we all meet one another &/or know we all were part of this Meet-up Thread? Should we plan some sort of meet-up for the sail-away party (of course, everything is optional).

I thought it would be fun if we all had matching rubber/silicone bracelets in a bright color (similar to those LiveStrong yellow ones) - that way we'd see each & recognize the bracelet as a sign we're from this Fish Exchange. Just an idea! Maybe I'll get those as part of my FE gift!

-Kristi

p.s. I'm not on Facebook, so I'm sure I'm missing out on quite a bit here
texastraubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #160
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastraubs View Post
We're getting sooooo excited for our cruise on the Magic (and I'm quite possibly getting moderately obsessed)!! I feel like 'planning for the cruise' has become my new hobby.

Here are my questions:

1. What does DIS of the DISboard stand for? I'm assuming it's something more than just 'Disney' because I've seen you all refer to others as DISers, etc.
to my understanding, it does just stand for Disney, since it's all about Disney only (or supposed to be ) and DISers are just people who are on the boards and post here.

2. Are we able to request our dining room rotation order? If so, what do you think is the best rotation?
From what I've read, it is possible to request a dining rotation, but that it's not guaranteed that you will get it. We've considered calling and requesting, but haven't yet, just because it's kind of fun to be surprised as well. As far as the best rotation, it really depends on where you like to eat the most. We enjoy Lumiere's the most, so I would love for that to be the one we go to twice, and some people prefer Animator's Palate, etc.

So far sounds like we've got some staying on the ship, some touring the ruins, some (including DH and myself) doing the Atlantis Submarine excursion, and some visiting a beach. What are you thinking about?

4. Do we have any ideas about the weather? Does it get pretty chilly in the evenings?
The average high in Cozumel in February is 84, and the low is 68.. I'm hoping it will be warm and nice!

Last one, I promise...

5. How do we all meet one another &/or know we all were part of this Meet-up Thread? Should we plan some sort of meet-up for the sail-away party (of course, everything is optional).

I thought it would be fun if we all had matching rubber/silicone bracelets in a bright color (similar to those LiveStrong yellow ones) - that way we'd see each & recognize the bracelet as a sign we're from this Fish Exchange. Just an idea! Maybe I'll get those as part of my FE gift!
We are discussing a meet and greet. I believe most everyone so far has agreed that 3 pm works great on the day we board, we just still have to decide where at. I've seen people do pins, bracelets, name tags, lanyards, etc. for their meet group.

-Kristi

And don't worry about questions, that's what were all here for!

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #161
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Here are my questions:

Actually it stands for....
Disney.
Sorry, I know, unoriginal, but it's true.

Yep, if you don't like your rotation, you can request to get it changed durinng the afternoon after you board in Rockin' Bar D. I'm not sure I'd mess with it though, usually they kind of sort out the rotations, so that they're age mates...most of the families with young kids in one rotation, while the families with teen-young adult kids in another, and so on. Not perfectly so, but enough that the room seems to blend well.

I'm hoping most people are getting off the ship to enjoy a beach or port adventure, so I can enjoy the Quiet Cove all to myself...

Hmmm...In November, it was chilly the first morning as we were heading into the gulf, and late the last evening on our way back...but the rest of the cruise was deliciously warm...running in shorts and a tank top on deck predawn was comfortable, not cold.

Last one, I promise...

We've voted (pretty unanomously (I know that's spelled incorrectly) ) that we'll be splitting into two groups. I'll be getting the split version of the list out by next Friday. People are thinking maybe a meetup the before the muster drill. Around 3 or so. If you want to be the coordinator, I'd be glad to make sure everyone hears about it.

-Kristi

Sigh...Yes you're missing out a smidgeon. But not too much. Mostly new bie questions today, and me going oh, my goodness...
they published my article!!!
http://www.passporter.com/articles/m...ney-cruise.php
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #162
heastonfam
Earning My Ears

good article, I am totally putting my kids' outfits into ziplooc bags for easy dressing...great tip!
heastonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #163
texastraubs
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Thank you!

@cruisecrasher: I loved your article - nice work! You sound like you are much more organized than I am. I may get on Facebook just to join you all. I set up an account for my son to play a game or something a while back...maybe I can log on under that. I'll send you a message directly... the name is something like HungerGamesClay.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. I don't know the ship well enough to pick a meeting spot...but someone pick the time & place and I'll be there with a bunch of containers of bubbles & hopefully bracelets for everyone!!

texastraubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #164
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
@cruisecrasher: I loved your article - nice work! You sound like you are much more organized than I am. I may get on Facebook just to join you all. I set up an account for my son to play a game or something a while back...maybe I can log on under that. I'll send you a message directly... the name is something like HungerGamesClay.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. I don't know the ship well enough to pick a meeting spot...but someone pick the time & place and I'll be there with a bunch of containers of bubbles & hopefully bracelets for everyone!!

Awesome! I just saw a post by Hunger Clay, that must be you.

You've made it to facebook!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #165
Alliebellemans
Earning My Ears

ALLERGIES???

Have we been keeping track of allergies anywhere or can we? I almost bought some peanut M&Ms for an add in to the FE but didn't because I want to make sure we are all clear.
Alliebellemans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: