Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #46
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
OP what a hassle for your family, sorry to hear. Confused though as to HM procedure, perhaps it's changed since we visited in June. Did your mother have a GAC card? Thought those with mobility issues went to the right side there and used hallway or direct access depending on needs, has this changed?
She's never needed a GAC card in the past. Just the CMs seeing her ECV has always been enough. The first two CMs at Haunted Mansion both said it wasn't a problem avoiding the strecthing room, using that back hallway, or stopping the moving walkway. It was the third CM (and the fourth that joined him) that was so mean. He said she had no choice but to go through the stretching room with her ECV, make her way through the crowd in the dark, and that they no longer used the back hallway or stopped the belt to let people on and if she couldn't get on like everybody else, then she probably would not be able to ride. We tried to explain that her eyes did not adjust to darkness very well and she would not be safe in that crowd, but he said that was her only choice if she wanted to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
sorry to hear that. Many people have a visual impairments to the extent where they are legally not permitted to drive at night (even with corrective lenses). Navigating an ECV in low light in unfamiliar area with human obstacles (i.e. disneyworld attractions and even park walkways when crowded) is a scary thought both for the guest in question and those around them. Guess it's something that needs to be addressed with guest services.
I agree! My mom turned 79 y/o the day after we left down there, but she still gets around fairly well here at home with a cane. She even still drives and has never had a wreck, but she never, ever drives at night. There is no restriction on her driver license, but she knows she can't see well at night, so doesn't drive at night. Coming out of the bright sunlight into the darkness inside Haunted Mansion, there is no way her eyes could adjust. She would not be safe in that crowd with the darkness and since they refused to let her use the back hallway to avoid the crowd (plus refused to stop the moving belt) we just didn't get to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
...and this is why my mom refuses to go to the Magic Kingdom. She has to use her scooter and she knows it will not go well so she just doesn't go. Sadly, the older sections of WDW are not very handicap accessible (they are to some extent but not easily). I know the ADA did not exist in the 70s but with an ever increasing number of guests using scooters and wheel chairs you would think they would want to keep everything easily accessible for those guests but it does seem they are making things ever increasingly more difficult. I was very frustrated last trip.
Actually we've never had a problem at MK before, nor did we have a single problem at any of the other parks this time. It just seemed like we ran into one bad CM after another that particular day at MK.

Last edited by aubriee; 09-28-2012 at 03:41 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #47
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

I think one of the reasons I get less of a hassle is because I am in a personal power wheelchair and not a scooter(ecv). I have not been asked to park outside and walk 200 ft and they do stop the belt for me at HM. I am not comfortable driving in the regular line because it is just plain chaos. Not a line at all. Low light makes it impossible to see feet and others tend to bump into the controller causing the w/c to move in unexpectantly. Not safe for other guests. If I have a companion they can position themselves to protect the controller. Too bad if I am alone.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: