Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!

Should I get a GAC for him if I have an ECV for me??

We usually get a GAC for my son who has ASD and will use it for alternate entrance or waiting place only when necessary (if it's a "bad day" vs a good day / or moment...). Last trip he did so well I hardly used it at all and now he's 9 so we really aren't anticipating any major problems, but we know that anything can happen at any time..... We usually get it in the event we need it and only use it when absoltely necessary.

However, this will be our first trip with me having mobility issues due to arthritis and I've rented an ECV for the length of our stay. I know the ECV usually have alternate entrances and I assume that they are a much "quieter" option than the main line. I also know there are many lines where the ECV can be accomodated in the regular line up until boarding- so not necessarily quieter if needed. Since I haven't used an ECV before I'm not sure what percentage of the time I'll be allowed to use a regular line vs. be directred to an alternate entry way.

Should I still get the GAC for my son "just in case" or do you think him being with me and my ECV will suffice??

Thisis also the first trip DS is tall enough to ride almost everything he wants including TOT. The preshow for TOT and Haunted Mansion will FREAK HIM OUT and set him off- he is PETRIFIED of lightning (and yes, we venture to Florida where T-storms can pop up at any given moment!!) .
The pre-show for TOT because the building is STRUCK by lightnight is what will do it (that is his fear). Does anyone know if we can skip pre-shows when necessary?? I don't mind waiting for the rest of the group we are supposed to be with - just on the OTHER side of the door when possible. He will be SO disappointed if he can't ride unless he does the preshow nd the preshow will leave a crying screaming child who won't be able to calm down enough to ride anything!!

DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
AlexDurrani
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
We usually get a GAC for my son who has ASD and will use it for alternate entrance or waiting place only when necessary (if it's a "bad day" vs a good day / or moment...). Last trip he did so well I hardly used it at all and now he's 9 so we really aren't anticipating any major problems, but we know that anything can happen at any time..... We usually get it in the event we need it and only use it when absoltely necessary.

However, this will be our first trip with me having mobility issues due to arthritis and I've rented an ECV for the length of our stay. I know the ECV usually have alternate entrances and I assume that they are a much "quieter" option than the main line. I also know there are many lines where the ECV can be accomodated in the regular line up until boarding- so not necessarily quieter if needed. Since I haven't used an ECV before I'm not sure what percentage of the time I'll be allowed to use a regular line vs. be directred to an alternate entry way.

Should I still get the GAC for my son "just in case" or do you think him being with me and my ECV will suffice??

Thisis also the first trip DS is tall enough to ride almost everything he wants including TOT. The preshow for TOT and Haunted Mansion will FREAK HIM OUT and set him off- he is PETRIFIED of lightning (and yes, we venture to Florida where T-storms can pop up at any given moment!!) .
The pre-show for TOT because the building is STRUCK by lightnight is what will do it (that is his fear). Does anyone know if we can skip pre-shows when necessary?? I don't mind waiting for the rest of the group we are supposed to be with - just on the OTHER side of the door when possible. He will be SO disappointed if he can't ride unless he does the preshow nd the preshow will leave a crying screaming child who won't be able to calm down enough to ride anything!!
Good Evening,

I have had mixed results regarding the GAC and cast members. On a number of occasions I have been asked if I had a GAC and when I showed it to the Cast member they either sent me down the fast pass line or fast tracked me into an attraction. The mixed results actually come with the Guest relations cast members. I have never been refused a GAC card but I have had a couple of cast members actually tell me that since I had an ECV i did not need one.

My honest opinion is that you should go ahead and get a GAC card for your son as a backup. Fortunately the cards are valid for the length of your stay.

Have a great vacation.

Sikandar Durrani

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sikandar.durrani
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Alex_Durrani
AlexDurrani is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

The only rides that I can think of that have separate wheelchair lines are small world and thunder mountain. All others use the regular line so if you think your child needs something other then the regular lines then you should get the GAC
Old 09-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Now that the stretching room pre-show in the Haunted Mansion is wheelchair accessible, their official policy is everyone has to go through. However, I have heard of CM's making exceptions when asked. I don't know about the ToT.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Guests using wheelchairs or ECVs don't need a GAC to use the accessible entrances or boarding area.

As Michigan mentioned, most attractions do not have a separate entrance area for guests with disabilities. There are some attractions that have lines that are wheelchair accessible, but are not ECV accessible. For those, guests with ECVs need to switch to a wheelchair at the attraction entrance if theywill not be able to walk in line.

For the original posters question, your needs with an ECV would be different than your child's needs. If you think he needs to have a GAC, look at his situation separately from yours.
There is more information about GACs in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel
Now that the stretching room pre-show in the Haunted Mansion is wheelchair accessible, their official policy is everyone has to go through. However, I have heard of CM's making exceptions when asked. I don't know about the ToT.
I, along with many others on various days during my last trip were repeatedly allowed to skip the stretching room with issue and board at the exit. i understand there seems to be a good bit of inconsistency with this, but i did it at least five different days without problems.

Another ride queue that will have a different boarding line/procedure for an ECV is Splash Mtn. And you will have to transfer to a WC for Buzz Lightyear & POTC just in case you didnt know.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
disneyfool_1202
The countdown has begun!!

Thank you everyone. I think we'll be cautious and get the GAC for my son. I'd rather be prepared as much as possible and do what we can to avoid the meltdown.

DisneyFool
Denise
disneyfool_1202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: