Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Not allowed to take kid out of school?

Anyone been told they can not take their child out for vacation?

Here is my situation. Starting a new job early november so want to take a vacay before i start at the end of october. At my current job, i leave home before my daughter is awake (hubby takes her to school) and often when I get home she is almost ready for bed. She goes to a NYC private school and the tuititon is about the same as a private college!! (not kidding). I wont be able to take vacation around XMAS this year since i will just have started (at my current job I applied for xmas vacation over ONE YEAR AHEAD OF TIME to be able to get it this year and now i dont get to have it!). I really want to take her out of school (she is in FIRST GRADE!) but this is what the school website says " Except for reasons of health, family emergencies or religious observance, students are not excused from school during the academic year. " Now i was planning on emailing my head of the lower school, and nicely telling her what I want to do. What if she says no? Call in sick for 5 days? Just not tell her? I figure if I tell her, we can get homework. May only miss 4 days since I am thinking we can go a week when her school is closed one day. I kind of feel its my child, its family time, i take education seriously , etc. Its a big deal for us to send her to this school (we cant afford to move out of our 1 bedroom apartment because we have to pay her tuition, her classmates live in huge places, take private planes, spend ALL summer at their country houses while DH and I work our butts off), so obviously we dont take things lightly. What would you do??

Last edited by nycdisneygal; 08-16-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: FIXING TYPOS, adding a few details
nycdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

As a fellow member of the Dis church, I need to remind you of the need to make a pilgrimage to the home of our beloved Mouse. Our beliefs require fun, and merriment and Dole Whip.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
smitch425
DIS Veteran

"Not excused" just means that it will count against your child's unexcused absences. For our school district, students are allowed to miss up to 10 days unexcused before the truancy officer is called.

They are not saying you can't do it, just that they won't consider it a good excuse.
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy13d69
As a fellow member of the Dis church, I need to remind you of the need to make a pilgrimage to the home of our beloved Mouse. Our beliefs require fun, and merriment and Dole Whip.
OGM LOVE IT!!!!! Ok this is a serious thread but that was perfect!!! For the OP-, I would be very frustrated in you position and would be very tempted to pull my kids out with a " family emergency" or what ever reason you choose. We are taking our K and 1st graders put for 10 days of school this year for vacation, not ideal but the only way the whole family can go together. We set up tutoring all this summer and are going in September so we feel they wont fall behind. It would really upset me to have the school telling me I couldn't make those choices for my family.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
fiestamomma
Mouseketeer

You're def allowed to take your child out of school anytime you want. But the deal comes when the school decides to "excuse" the absence or not.

If they have strict attendance policies that will effect promotions or testing then you may have a problem.

My children's school was not happy when I pulled my kids a couple of days early for thanksgiving break. So the days were not excused and my son could not make up any missed work for a grade higher than passing minimum. This didn't bother me much since he is a great student and I knew it wouldn't affect him overall.

Now this year he is in a testing grade so we our vacations will have to be planned accordingly.

The districts policy is more than 10 unexcused absences will result in retention.

I have heard of, on these boards, where some schools have given educational work to be done at Disney to make the trip educational and therefor "count" as instructional time. You may be able to work something like that out?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Oh thanks! I was so happy to get such quick replies! Anyone who wants to chime in , please do......

"They are not saying you can't do it, just that they won't consider it a good excuse. " --so would you say i should still tell them?
BTW, our trip is either DCL/ WDW or -if i can get a deal-- paris and DLP!!!!!!!!!! (i have wanted to go for so long).
nycdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdisneygal View Post
Oh thanks! I was so happy to get such quick replies! Anyone who wants to chime in , please do......

"They are not saying you can't do it, just that they won't consider it a good excuse. " --so would you say i should still tell them?
BTW, our trip is either DCL/ WDW or -if i can get a deal-- paris and DLP!!!!!!!!!! (i have wanted to go for so long).
Yes, definitely tell them. We take our kids out for one or two days for various trips throughout the year. We let the teacher know a few weeks in advance and then remind them again the Friday before. We explain that we would love to have the kids do the work before we leave, if possible, but also let the teacher know that however they want to handle it is just fine with us. We call the office (the morning of the missed day) to tell them that they will not be in, and then once we return, we send in their leave slip with the "reason" as "vacation". For a longer trip, I would send something to the office the week before, so they don't worry if it is several absences in a row. For our school, we still have to call in each morning to tell them they will not be there. The biggest key is communicating with the teacher to see what will work best for them when it comes to your child's instruction. Best of luck and congrats on the new job!

ETA: My kids go to a public school, though, so check your school's policy. They should have the info in the handbook. Good luck!
smitch425 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

It is a private school. They can make any rules they want. You agree to the rules when you sign the paper work. Yes you can take her out, but they can react anyway they want!!

I think all the other responses forgot this important fact, this isn't a public school.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

have tried to take my Great Grandaughter and grandaughter out two different trips and neither school will allow it. they have to be in school so many days a year and then save some for snow days. one is going on a different systems this fall so will see if that works out. let me add we can take them out but they get no make up home work and will zero them out. they live in different counties and it is a state law here

Last edited by canopynut66; 08-16-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Shanna-like-Banana
DIS Veteran

Our school district has the same 10 un-excused absences.

Last fall, we took the kids out of school for a week, all 5 days un-excused.

Yes, it was planned, all their teachers knew and none of them seemed to really care to even acknowlede me notifiying them. for my 6th grader none of them sent any school work or homework to be done.

After we got back, I had to re-email them and remind my child to ask for her school work that she missed/homework.

They hardly sent anything, just a few worksheets

My advise, is tell them you'll send the class a postcard, or a coco-nut from the Poly
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
Kristian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdisneygal View Post

I would tell them. Like you said, you are very serious about you're dd's education and this isn't something that you do all the time. I would be upfront and tell them why you are taking her out of school and I wouldn't be made to feel guilty about it either because there are circumstances as to why you are doing it during school time. However, don't go into your dd's school with expectations that they will give you her homework and such ahead of time either, because they don't have to.

It is difficult for my dh to take off during summer months at his job because this is the time that the most production is made for his company. Its doable during the summer, but it isn't as "enjoyable" because he will basically take a huge amount of work with him and it puts a damper on the trip. Holiday's aren't ideal for him to travel during either, so we really have no choice but to travel during times that people don't normally vacation. This is why we planned for our trip the second week of September. I don't mind this at all because its a less busy time to go to Disney and we get free dining so its a win win. Dd hasn't started school yet, but next year she will be starting her first year and we are planning to do either Disney World or a Disney Cruise in September. It will only be like her 3rd week of school, but that is when it is most manageable.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Check your school's policy on how they handle unexcused absences. Especially since you're talking about a private school, no one's experiences here will be indicative of how your school will handle you taking your child out for an unexcused reason.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
socalduo
DIS Veteran

When I was a teenager, my mom pulled me out of school for a month to go to WDW. She told them an uncle died in Cleveland, no problems Just do something like that?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Your school does not follow public school policies. Talk to them, I think it will be fine since it is not uncommon for the parents to have traveling opportunities with the kids.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
BuzzandWoodyMom
You've Got a Friend in Me :-)

First grade? I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I certainly wouldn't ask them if you can take your child out. I would drop the teacher a polite email and let her know you are going to be out-of-town for a long planned family trip. Even if the absences are unexcused and even if they didn't let her make up her work, it's First grade. I mean, I don't think this is going to harm her chances of getting into Harvard.

If this was high school, this would be a totally different story and I wouldn't recommend it unless your school specifically encouraged family vacations, but there isn't anything a 6 or 7 year old is going to miss during 4 or 5 school days that couldn't easily be made up.

3 of our kids go to public school and 2 of our kids go to private school and we have taken them out of school every year since 2004 for a Disney vacation.
BuzzandWoodyMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: