Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #76
BarbieGal457
DIS Veteran

This gem came from my DBF, 23 at the time (Jan 2008) waiting in line for his first-ever attraction on his first-ever Disney trip. I noticed he was huffing and puffing, and was worried he was overheating but didn't want to ruin the ride for us. We were in Test Track the Sunday night before all the kids went back to school, and it was unseasonably hot. We were all sweaty, and I was afraid he was dehydrating because he didn't want us to get out of the ridiculously long line. When I finally got him to admit why he looked so uncomfortable...

"I didn't know there were going to be lines here!!"

I busted out into hysterical laughs thinking surely he was joking. I've been a Disney nut my whole life, and definitely warned him of the lines! I said something along the lines of "of course there are lines, it's a separate attraction called the Line Ride! Only a few million people come here each year....don't worry, there will be less by the morning." Thankfully I was right and we've had many successful queues since! Also, the TT queue is so loud, and we're both jumpy people, so it truthfully was a bit of a long, unnerving wait.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #77
Mrs.viv07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama
I've had two friends who've been to Disney once in the past tell me recently, "It's too expensive to ever go back." Family #1 spent over $6000 on a six day stay at POR and Family #2 spent (PLEASE SIT DOWN BEFORE READING) $10,000 on a one week stay in which they only spent four days in the parks.

Family #1 also told me, "All we did was run everywhere trying to get on as many rides as we could until our feet and backs hurt. It was no fun at all." Well NO kidding, LOL!
Holy crap we are close to the $6000 mark BUT that includes 13 days, auto train(with family bedroom) MNSSHP, sea world, 2 days at universal, horror night, kidsn night out for one night, water parks, legoland, and spending money.

Viv DH DS 13DS 4 DDrincess:

follow my pre-trip report as i go crazy over planning for sept 2012:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post45093687

read about our Jan 2007 trip here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1553770

7 angels watching over u; including our daughter Kiara born sleeping jan 4, 2013

read our blog :http://vivnmichaelsworld.blogspot.com/

Before you leave an angry comment, read my entry at least twice to make sure you understand what I am saying, or accusing me will just make you sound really stupid. If reading it twice is too tedious for your brain, well what can i say. =)
Mrs.viv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #78
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

I have heard lots of the "why are you going back so soon" and "must be nice to be able to afford Disney EVERY year" um I went 11 years between trips and this time 13 months..hardly every year. My response to that is "must be nice to get your nails done every week and go out to dinner 3 times a week..just different ways of spending money people!

We had people we know spend 5 or 6 days a AKL in Feb..spent $10k! 2 adults, one kid. They had the reg dinning plan free and upgrading to the deluxe when they got there ( um sureee) because there just wasn't enough food. They made NO ADR's, walked around aimlessly,and declared they are never going back because and I quote" Luke is into sports not Disney characters".. he was 9.5.

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #79
map57
Mouseketeer

Last year my wife's boss (a doctor) asked my wife 1 week before they were leaving "how do we get reservations to eat in the Castle?".....
map57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #80
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

Some of my inlaws went to MK for the day with 2 kids (6 & 3) when they were visiting family. They didn't plan for it at all. Meanwhile we were in countdown mode for our highly anticipated week long trip to WDW. The inlaw got back & my DS (12) immediatly started asking questions about the trip. Nothing too geeky, just knowledgeble and appropriate. After a couple of blank stares and "silly answers" (ie: it was expensive to eat there, fastpass?, we liked Sea World so much better, etc) DS just gave up and we continued on with planning without their input....
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #81
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post

I just took a survey for Universal and there were several questions along the line of "Now, you know Universal isn't affiliated with Disney, right?" Crazy! Maybe people think Disney owns everything in Orlando?!

Oh, Universal even spoofs itself with this. A few years back my wife and I were at Halloween Horror Nights at the live Bill and Ted show. Long story short, the opening part of the skit had Hellboy on the jumbo screen being told he was needed at Universal Orlando Resort. His response: "Universal? Which Disney park is that?"
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #82
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC
My brother wanted to take his 6 year old twins for the first trip for all of them. He called me, and said , "So, do you think we will need 2 full days? Would we be able to see everything in a day and a half?? The end result of that conversation is that he is now taking his big sister(me) with him and the kids. He pays for me to go( I am broke, and he is a doctor), and I am planning the entire trip. He is thrilled, because he hates planning anything, and I am thrilled because---well----no need to tell you folks why!!
And how many days are you going for?
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #83
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy1013
Why are you taking your kids already? (2.9 and 17 mo). They won't remember it.

No probably not. But they will love it. And mom and dad will too!!!! (and you gotta go once while they are free!!!!)
This is one of my favorites. They won't remember their first birthday either but that doesn't stop parents from going totally overboard.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #84
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

I had someone tell me Shrek was Disney and the (show/ride? I have never been to universal so I do not know which it is) was at the front of the park in Magic Kingdom after a few minutes of trying to tell them Shrek is a DreamWorks movie and not related to Disney at all and them getting angry I dropped it but I knew I was right!

On My Weight to Disney ~ weight loss blog
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #85
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

I've heard a few times from folks who are convinced there's a monorail to SeaWorld. Since I've heard it from different sources, my best guess would be that someone got confused about SeaWorld Gold Coast's famous monorail in Australia.

Maybe they thought it was Gulf Coast, instead of Gold Coast? In any case, the rumour seems to have spread pretty far.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #86
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
I've heard a few times from folks who are convinced there's a monorail to SeaWorld. Since I've heard it from different sources, my best guess would be that someone got confused about SeaWorld Gold Coast's famous monorail in Australia.

Maybe they thought it was Gulf Coast, instead of Gold Coast? In any theask rumour seems to have spread pretty far.
One of the monorail CM at the TTC was teasing me & my sister telling us that it was the monorail to Universal Studios. I teased back & asked if it stopped by Sea World also. Another person thought we were being serious & asked if he could get to Universal from there LoL.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #87
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
I've had two friends who've been to Disney once in the past tell me recently, "It's too expensive to ever go back." Family #1 spent over $6000 on a six day stay at POR and Family #2 spent (PLEASE SIT DOWN BEFORE READING) $10,000 on a one week stay in which they only spent four days in the parks.
IDK. That doesn't shock me. Family of four: POR for the week $1500. Plane tix $2000. 5-day hoppers $1500. Food & souvies = more. Even with free dining you are over $5k.

A good customer service rep will get you to buy into a suite for more $. For many folks this is once in a lifetime and IT IS too expensive to go back. I feel bad for them.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #88
Bama_C
Artful DISer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC View Post
My brother wanted to take his 6 year old twins for the first trip for all of them. He called me, and said , "So, do you think we will need 2 full days? Would we be able to see everything in a day and a half?? The end result of that conversation is that he is now taking his big sister(me) with him and the kids. He pays for me to go( I am broke, and he is a doctor), and I am planning the entire trip. He is thrilled, because he hates planning anything, and I am thrilled because---well----no need to tell you folks why!!
Wow, what a deal!!
FDDP Year 8 at POR Booked 10/2013!!, 12/2012 FDDP, 09/2011 FDDP, 09/10 FDDP, 04/10 ASM KTTK tour w/ DS2, Pop 10/09 FDDP, ASM 01/09, Pop 09/08 FDDP, 01/08 ASM KTTK Tour w/ DS1, 09/07 POR FDDP, 09/06 POR FDDP, 09/05 Pop, 09/02 ASM, '88, '86, & '82 off site

Bama_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #89
Bama_C
Artful DISer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
I have heard the "must be nice to be able to afford FPs" several times while walking past the stand by crowd. Usually I am willing to help out when someone is confused, but almost without exception the above line is said to us just dripping with sarcasm and I figure Disney's FP program is not a secret and even a small amount of research will discover it.
Yep...have heard that one more than once. And it depends on my family's agenda as to whether or not I will stop and get into a discussion. For heaven's sake, it's Disney World... Hello! it's not like there is a shortage of information about any of it! "Google is your friend."

Quote:
Once while staying at the Pop Century we were talking to a woman who had just bought into DVC. We had also gone to a DVC presentation and for attending we were given 3 FPs each. The woman and her family had also gotten the FPs but she was convinced that they were lifetime FPs since they had bought DVC.
Poor deluded folks! Rude awakening just ahead...

Quote:
Heard many places, including uncountable times right here on the Dis "Disneyworld/Land is for kids" or "Walt Disney created the parks for kids". This is not true, never has been true and never will be true. The parks were created for people of all ages. I am a 48 year old man with no kids and I have just as much fun in any of the parks as kids do, maybe doing different attractions, but fun never the less. I have also gone to WDW at least once a year since I discovered the magic at age 43.
Wise owl, you are. He created it because he thought there should be a place where families, both young and old, could go and enjoy doing things together. Thanks, Walt!

FDDP Year 8 at POR Booked 10/2013!!, 12/2012 FDDP, 09/2011 FDDP, 09/10 FDDP, 04/10 ASM KTTK tour w/ DS2, Pop 10/09 FDDP, ASM 01/09, Pop 09/08 FDDP, 01/08 ASM KTTK Tour w/ DS1, 09/07 POR FDDP, 09/06 POR FDDP, 09/05 Pop, 09/02 ASM, '88, '86, & '82 off site

Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #90
Bama_C
Artful DISer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFlyer View Post
I've never been to WDW but I'm been spending a lot of time planning our trip for this fall. I have a friend that just got back from a week long trip with her kids. I asked her if she had any tips. She said I would only need 1/2 a day in Epcot because there's nothing to do there but eat and shop, especially in World Showcase. She had no idea that there were rides in Mexico and Norway and movies in a few other countries. She also didn't know that there was a ride inside the Epcot ball.

I guess that's what happens when you let your travel agent do all the research and planning for you.

How very sad for them. I just can't believe people pay to go and then don't research all there is to do once they're there.

EPCOT = for our family of 5. We spend probably 40-50% of our 10 day park tickets there each year. It's really two parks and so large that I can't imagine trying to get it all done in one day. Good for you for planning ahead!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: