Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Belleofthehouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
When my aunt came back, her words "I don't know what all the fuss is about, I was SO bored" Ummm, HELLO????
FOR REAL???????

I love my guys!!
Poly-1979,1984,2009-Kids' first trip
2010: POR
2012:AKL 20 Years!
2013: UniversalSeaworld with the Family
Belleofthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
dishguy1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3Princes View Post
This happened during my last trip in August. We met my 2 year old niece and her mom, and grandparents there. They stayed at Sheraton Vistana and we stayed at OKW. This convo is between my niece's mom and me.

Her: I was surprised at where your hotel is bc I thought it would be IN Disney.

Me: It is in Disney.

Her: No, I mean actually IN, IN Disney.

Me: Old Key West is owned by Disney and within the gates of Disney.

Her: Yeah, but it's so close to our resort. So you're not IN Disney.

Sigh, I just let it go at that point. I don't know if she expected our hotel to be in one of the parks?? IDK... I was tired and it was a long day at AK, so I let it go .
Yeah...people don't really seem to understand that being at a hotel IN Disney doesn't mean that you walk out the front door and hop onto Space Mountain.
dishguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Celidh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiSlamberg View Post
African Lion Safari in Toronto does this. You can get on a tram and go though, or drive though with your own car, and the animals come up to you and such. It's a pretty neat experience.
Actually, it is about an hour or so from Toronto. I would not want to take my car through there. People have been known to have damage done to their cars by animals. It has been many, many many years since I have been there. I used to live a couple of hours away.

Along the same line as this thread, I was talking to a co-worker the other day about my impending trip. She couldn't believe that we were not only going to Disney for our second trip but want to go next year. She couldn't imagine that there would be that much to see. I said, you do realize that WDW is about the size of Manhattan, give or take a bit. I'm sure that even after our 3rd trip we will still have lots to see.

The fact is, some people would only go to Disney once no matter what because they just don't love it as much as we do.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Silliest question/comment you've heard about Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
The comment i hear the most is i don't understand why you go there every year. This year is i can't believe you are going twice. I dont understand why its an issue most people i know go to the same beach every year and stay at the same hotel. I just am not a beach person im a Disney person
Yes, I'm dreading having to explain our 2nd trip in a little more than a year. Why should I care? I think it's because people assume you're wealthy, just like sending my daughter to parochial/private school. Determined would be the word I'd use! I think some people don't get it. The place is huge! I could go 1x every 6 months for 2 years and never get to all my to do list! I will say that my DD mostly thinks DW is MK! The other places are just the other places...Epcot, etc.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

I sent my daughter to private school too and we went to Disney every year. She's a freshman at lsu now and this is my first trip without her (since she was 4) so for Xmas im taking her.
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #36
Cibahwewah
DIS Veteran

A co-worker said "we're not like you and don't go every year, so I'm not a planner." So she's taking her family and in-laws in 4 weeks, but hasn't made any reservations yet. She says it's "once-in-a-lifetime." No hotel, no ADRs, no tickets, no party tickets, no airline tickets. Maybe Universal, maybe not. I showed her disney.com. I said "Start here." I didn't want to overwhelm, but wanted her to know she needed to make some decisions.
January 2009, Pop Century, November/December 2010, Grand Floridian, January 2012, Grand Floridian, September/October 2012, Bay Lake Tower/Disney Dream, April 2013, Disneyland, July 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska, February 2014, Beach Club March 2015, Art of Animation/Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Cibahwewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
The comment i hear the most is i don't understand why you go there every year. This year is i can't believe you are going twice. I dont understand why its an issue most people i know go to the same beach every year and stay at the same hotel. I just am not a beach person im a Disney person
^^ I KNOW!! ^^ I hear the same thing from: a couple who have invested in a one-location timeshare and have been going there for 20 years ~ my boss who has a beach house, a house in Hawaii and a cabin in Canada (they go to these places every year) ~ a woman who goes to Cabo every fall ~ and a family who doesn't go anywhere they can't get to with their RV. We love Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYC View Post
The end result of that conversation is that he is now taking his big sister(me) with him and the kids. He pays for me to go( I am broke, and he is a doctor), and I am planning the entire trip. He is thrilled, because he hates planning anything, and I am thrilled because---well----no need to tell you folks why!!
Woohoo! Good for you!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #38
GS for life
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibahwewah
A co-worker said "we're not like you and don't go every year, so I'm not a planner." So she's taking her family and in-laws in 4 weeks, but hasn't made any reservations yet. She says it's "once-in-a-lifetime." No hotel, no ADRs, no tickets, no party tickets, no airline tickets. Maybe Universal, maybe not. I showed her disney.com. I said "Start here." I didn't want to overwhelm, but wanted her to know she needed to make some decisions.
How could you not even know where you are sleeping!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
theparsons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishguy1977 View Post
Yeah...people don't really seem to understand that being at a hotel IN Disney doesn't mean that you walk out the front door and hop onto Space Mountain.
Now THAT would be cool!
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
Rent a wheelchair so you can get on all the rides with no line!!
When DH broke his foot at EPCOT a few years ago, we went to pick up a GAC. The CM that gave it to us actually mentioned, "Won't it be nice to not have to wait in lines?" DH & I just smiled and left without commenting.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

Planning trips around love bug season. How are love bugs even an issue?!?!!? The don't do ANYTHING but float around. They don't bite, they don't sting, they don't cause allergies, they don't make noise, they don't cause disease. They just do their thing. They aren't mosquitoes or gnats or ants, lol. Everytime I step outside a gnat tries to fly into my eyeball. Ugh.

Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #42
theparsons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibahwewah View Post
Yikes! No hotel or airline tickets yet. No wonder it's going to be a once in a lifetime, it's going to cost her a fortune! Walk up to a hotel offsite and it's going to be ridiculously high....walk up to a Disney hotel and she'll have to mortgage the house for one night's stay!

The no ADRs won't be horrible...mid October is not nearly as crowded as summer, etc....so while she won't likely get a wak up at the Castle or Le Cellier....there should be a few TS that she can easily do and there are lots of good CS that of course don't need ADRs. Of course, if she's not doing ANY planning then she'll have no clue what's out there and will likely stop at the first CS she sees when they're hungry and then complain because it wasn't anything special, lol.

I have many friends who ask for my help in planning their first trip....even those that have their friends call me....and I'm always happy to share my passion for planning. But those with a closed mind, I just smile and let them be......sadly they'll probably not have nearly the magical trip they could have but, hey, I figure they'll also never return and that keeps the parks that much less crowded for you and me, right?

And for the mom who was bored.....all I could think was "are we sure she was at Disney?". I just can't fathom boredom and Disney in the same sentence.
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

"They're adults. I don't know why they're in a character line."

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

I have heard the "must be nice to be able to afford FPs" several times while walking past the stand by crowd. Usually I am willing to help out when someone is confused, but almost without exception the above line is said to us just dripping with sarcasm and I figure Disney's FP program is not a secret and even a small amount of research will discover it.

Once while staying at the Pop Century we were talking to a woman who had just bought into DVC. We had also gone to a DVC presentation and for attending we were given 3 FPs each. The woman and her family had also gotten the FPs but she was convinced that they were lifetime FPs since they had bought DVC.

Heard many places, including uncountable times right here on the Dis "Disneyworld/Land is for kids" or "Walt Disney created the parks for kids". This is not true, never has been true and never will be true. The parks were created for people of all ages. I am a 48 year old man with no kids and I have just as much fun in any of the parks as kids do, maybe doing different attractions, but fun never the less. I have also gone to WDW at least once a year since I discovered the magic at age 43.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #45
Fartknocker
Earning My Ears

At about 3:35pm, while waiting in the rain for the AK parade to start, a woman asks me why everyone is standing by the ropes. I say it's for the afternoon parade. She responds 'Really? Who knew!'.

And probably a common one. The next day someone asks a CM how much fastpasses cost.
Fartknocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: