Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #301
Figment43
Mouseketeer

The one I used to get all the time was that Universal = Disney World. It always comes up in a conversation where I'm telling someone about an upcoming WDW trip. They either ask if Universal Studios and Disney World are the same thing or if Universal is one of the Disney parks.

The other thing that gets me is how many people mess up the spelling of Disney World and Disneyland. People are always writing "Disneyworld" and "Disney Land" instead.

Figment43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #302
Chief Powhatan
Mouseketeer

It seems we all have the same crazy aunt who is certain Harry Potter is at DisneyWorld and the same bewildered co-workers who can't understand why we would want to go more than once.

Fort Wilderness - 2013,2012,2011,2010,2007,2006,2005
All Star Sports - 2001
Chief Powhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #303
kimmiecub
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
I think staying offsite is NOT a bad thing. I wish people wouldn't let themselves be persuaded that they MUST stay at a Disney hotel or they will have a bad time.

It's what you make of it. It doesn't have to be less magical unless you go in expecting bad things and get them.
^^^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^ I've been to WDW numerous times and have never stayed onsite. It never felt less magical. If I am in Florida, and I'm going to Disney, I don't care where I sleep. However, I will be having my first onsite experience in Feb of next year, so it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Anyway, these are my favorite silly/weird/huh? comments and questions that I have gotten.

You don't have any kids. Why are you going?
How much are the fast passes?
Wish I had the money for that (heard while going through the FP line at BTMRR)
What the hell is that? A golf ball? (said by my uncle)

kimmiecub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #304
ammag
DIS Veteran

so when you pass by people and they say snarky things about affording fast passes do you correct them? what do they do? This seems to be a common thing isnt it well marked that the passes are free? I think i might have to say "they are free!" and keep walking. the not a zoo thing was so funny! besides whats wrong with a zoo? id still go!
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #305
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
so when you pass by people and they say snarky things about affording fast passes do you correct them? what do they do? This seems to be a common thing isnt it well marked that the passes are free? I think i might have to say "they are free!" and keep walking. the not a zoo thing was so funny! besides whats wrong with a zoo? id still go!
Yes. I seem to meet a lot of people from NJ who, so used to 6 flags, are confused by fastpass (they charge for it at six flags), the safari (in nj, you always used your own car, changing this year), and child swap (at 6 flags, you need to go to a customer service building at the front of the park, and all of you have to wait in the line, then wait on the platform to switch places with the child).

People get used to one way of things working, and it's hard to convince them it's different. They also think 1 day is enough to do Disney sometimes, and then they will have to go somewhere else the other 6 days! :-O
Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #306
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
so when you pass by people and they say snarky things about affording fast passes do you correct them? what do they do? This seems to be a common thing isnt it well marked that the passes are free?
It's right there on every park map. The info takes up a whole page for crying out loud. Apparently there are a lot of guests who don't know how to read. Like the man said- you can't fix stupid. And I've got better things to do than to try- like getting on the ride without an hour's wait.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #307
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would keep walking and not waste my time. Its not my job.

Maybe I would say something like "They're free, read your guide map". Anymore you may get into a big augment when they don't believe you. If you just say "they're free" and keep walking they may think something like "Yea for people staying in a Deluxe or On Site or whatever"
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #308
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiecub

^^^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^ I've been to WDW numerous times and have never stayed onsite. It never felt less magical. If I am in Florida, and I'm going to Disney, I don't care where I sleep. However, I will be having my first onsite experience in Feb of next year, so it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Anyway, these are my favorite silly/weird/huh? comments and questions that I have gotten.

You don't have any kids. Why are you going?
How much are the fast passes?
Wish I had the money for that (heard while going through the FP line at BTMRR)
What the hell is that? A golf ball? (said by my uncle)
I Agree wholeheartedly. My fave silly offsite sayings are "but how do you get to parks? Driving on vacation is no fun... Isn't it unsafe? What do you do whilst not at the parks?" We get free shuttles to all the Disney parks, sea world and universal, although we could walk to sea world as it was 200 yards away lol. Staying offsite doesn't have to be unsafe, we stay on international drive, which is well lit and safe and has lots of shops, resteraunts and other things to see and do, plus SW and Aquatica.

I've no doubt it can be awesome to stay onsite, but its not for all of us thanks.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #309
justtobeme2
Mouseketeer

We went for many years and never stayed onsite. Was no biggie to us. We were there for the theme parks, not the resort/hotel. Every family is different. I have stayed on site in the last few years and will be POFQ in one week from today and I enjoy it but it's not absolutely necessary. The FD makes or breaks our decision really. Having said that, if the resorts were INSIDE the parks somehow that would be a different story maybe, or if we could justify spending the extra to stay at poly, contem etc.

Just depends on the family. Another example is we could care less about the view since we don't have a balcony. We keep our curtains drawn so it makes no difference to us. I understand some families go with enjoyment of the resorts with swimming and such being important. To each our own!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #310
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Similar comment WRT Photopass instead FAstpass. We were sitting by the partners statue for a family pic early one morning, and a lady sneered as she walked by (alone) said something along the lines of "must be nice to have your own photographer.....". I couldn't resist and popped back "all you've gotta do is GET IN LINE!". But she kept walking. Evidently she didn't want a pic that bad. A real live troll in a purple tank top!!
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #311
andyman8
DIS Veteran

I've got a new one! The following is a conversation between me and another man with his wife and daughter around 4pm right before MNSSHP yesterday.

Him and His Wife are arguing about which way to go to get to CRT.

Me: Excuse me. Do you need help?

Him: Thank god! Yes. Do you know which way to the "Cinderella Cafe?"

Me: Do you mean CRT?

Him: I guess so. Is it the one with the princesses?

Me: Yes, that'd be it. It's actually inside the castle. Just head through the the middle of the castle and you'll see it on your right.

Him: Thank you.

His Wife (to him): Honey, I hope we don't have to wait long.

Me: As long as you have a reservation, you should be fine.

Him: Reservation? What?

Me: Well, it's a very popular restaurant, so most people book a dining time 6 months out.

Him: That's ridiculous! Who in their right mind would do that? Thank you for your help, but I'm sure we'll get in with only a small wait.

I smiled and they left. Maybe, they were lucky. Otherwise, I wonder where they ate dinner?
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #312
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Hopped on the express monorail last night at the TTC about 6:30p. Group in our car as it pulled up did not exit, but stayed on. (?) As we exit at the MK stop, one of them says they don't get off here but at Animal Kingdom. Either I heard that wrong--doubt it--or they were in for a long ride. They'd already been round the lagoon at least once, and were about to make it 1.5.

May I suggest just a little research, hmm?
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #313
k5thbeatle
DIS Veteran

"Silliest question/comment you've heard about Disney?"

Ohhhh, you're going there again?

k5thbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #314
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

The thing is, these aren't just research problems. On all our trips we did Little to no research and planning, but we still had a great time even if we didn't do everything we could have. Many of these problems are also due to, and exacerbated by, expectations and lack of common sense.

Use a map. Ask for help. Don't be naive and expect to get into resteraunts at a really busy theme park with no wait or reservations, especially ones with a Disney character in their name. These things are common sense, or at least they are to me. A lot of people don't know anything on their first trip (we didn't) but common sense ensures some have a better time than others. Plus the state of mind people have plays a huge role. Pride + entitlement (I'm always right, I want to eat there therefore you should make room for me as opposed to oh well, I should have made a reservation, lets find somewhere else, for example...) + crankiness + lack of common sense is far more deadly than lack of research IMO.

I suspect that no matter where some of these people go they will encounter problems due far more to the above factors than lack of specific research. Can you imagine some of the more stubborn, I'm always right, I won't ask for advice or take it, people in a huge city? These are the types of people who go down one way streets, because no that sign must be wrong because I say so etc etc. :P

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 09-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #315
jenjie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't be naive and expect to get into resteraunts at a really busy theme park with no wait or reservations, especially ones with a Disney character in their name. These things are common sense, or at least they are to me.
Well last time we went to WDW the only ADR we made was CRT breakfast. if we were hungry and came upon a restaurant, we would put our names in at the podium and not have too long of a wait. One time we walked up to LTT and got in right away. We needed something quick and close by because my dad was feeling funny. it wasn't until we were already seated that we realized it was a character meal.

DH excepted it to be no different this time, even though our last visit was 10 years ago. He didn't understand why I felt the need to plan for every dinner.
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: