Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #286
NedsTJ
Only 5.67E+06 feet from MK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Strange. I was sure I remembered it from our first trip in 1977. But we've been so many times I could be confused. When did they add it?
The attic scene has been there...they just recently added the bride along with the storyline that she off'd her husbands.

DisDad #535
Ned's Magic Kingdom Guidebooks from '72-'13

...as well as 12/12, 10/13, 4/14 and coming up 12/14 at GFV!
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.

NedsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #287
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Ours was at a team baseball picnic. Somehow WDW trips came up, and one of the moms commented on how they just got back. She said it was ok, but they had to wait in line bc they were not willing to pay the money for that thing called FastPass. I should have stayed quiet but I blurted out but it was free. I felt so bad, she was so confused and insisted it cost money. I didnt have the heart to argue with her.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #288
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
We were out to dinner with friends who were planning their very first WDW vacation. They were flying and staying on property at All Star Movies for 6 days. We were flying down 2 days later.

Friend - "Will the kids (ages 5, 6, 13 & 14) be able to see the rides from the hotel?"
Me - "No."
Friend - "Oh good. I just want to hang at the pool for a couple of days, so I'm going to tell the kids the parks are closed on those days. I wouldn't be able to say that if they could see the roller coasters going around."

Same dinner -

Friend - "Is there anywhere I can buy a couple cases of soda to keep in the hotel rooms?"
Me - "Well, you can get soda in the food court, but if you want that much, you could place an order and have it delivered or pick some up at the gas station on Disney property."
Friend's Husband - "Whoa, there's a gas station at WDW? How can that even be safe with cars driving around and all the kids running from ride to ride? Wow, that makes me nervous."
My DH - "I think we need to explain a few things... let's start at the beginning... "

Their first day in the parks, (MK) -

*RING RING*

Me - "Hello."
Friend's Husband - "Hey, it's me. We're in the MK but how do I know what rides the kids want to go on?"
Me - "Whadaya mean?"
Friend's Husband - "We looked through all the gift shops first and now we're near Monster Inc., Buzz and Stitch but all these things are inside buildings. When we go to amusement parks, we watch it go around a few times and decide if we want to ride it but we can't see these and we don't know what they are."

Later that same day -

*RING RING*

Friend's Husband - "Hey, it's me again. How do these FP's save any time if we just have to stand here and wait for our assigned time to get in line? We might as well just stand in the regular line if we have to wait anyway, right?"

We arrived the next day. The rest of the trip went smoothly (after going over the DP with them again... they were paying OOP because they didn't understand how to use it) and we had a great time.

They took us out to dinner a few weeks after our trip and treated us because they were so grateful to us for "showing them the ropes."
I'm actually speechless....

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #289
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
We were out to dinner with friends who were planning their very first WDW vacation. They were flying and staying on property at All Star Movies for 6 days. We were flying down 2 days later.

Friend - "Will the kids (ages 5, 6, 13 & 14) be able to see the rides from the hotel?"
Me - "No."
Friend - "Oh good. I just want to hang at the pool for a couple of days, so I'm going to tell the kids the parks are closed on those days. I wouldn't be able to say that if they could see the roller coasters going around."

Same dinner -

Friend - "Is there anywhere I can buy a couple cases of soda to keep in the hotel rooms?"
Me - "Well, you can get soda in the food court, but if you want that much, you could place an order and have it delivered or pick some up at the gas station on Disney property."
Friend's Husband - "Whoa, there's a gas station at WDW? How can that even be safe with cars driving around and all the kids running from ride to ride? Wow, that makes me nervous."
My DH - "I think we need to explain a few things... let's start at the beginning... "

Their first day in the parks, (MK) -

*RING RING*

Me - "Hello."
Friend's Husband - "Hey, it's me. We're in the MK but how do I know what rides the kids want to go on?"
Me - "Whadaya mean?"
Friend's Husband - "We looked through all the gift shops first and now we're near Monster Inc., Buzz and Stitch but all these things are inside buildings. When we go to amusement parks, we watch it go around a few times and decide if we want to ride it but we can't see these and we don't know what they are."

Later that same day -

*RING RING*

Friend's Husband - "Hey, it's me again. How do these FP's save any time if we just have to stand here and wait for our assigned time to get in line? We might as well just stand in the regular line if we have to wait anyway, right?"

We arrived the next day. The rest of the trip went smoothly (after going over the DP with them again... they were paying OOP because they didn't understand how to use it) and we had a great time.

They took us out to dinner a few weeks after our trip and treated us because they were so grateful to us for "showing them the ropes."

This is hilarious!

Future:
Disney Dream - 05/15/13

Completed:
Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11
Carnival Dream - 07/31/10
Disney Wonder - 11/05/09
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09
Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere
Disney Wonder - 11/01/07
Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05
Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04
Disney Magic - 03/27/04
Disney Wonder - 10/02/03
Disney Wonder - 5/16/02
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #290
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibahwewah View Post
A co-worker said "we're not like you and don't go every year, so I'm not a planner." So she's taking her family and in-laws in 4 weeks, but hasn't made any reservations yet. She says it's "once-in-a-lifetime." No hotel, no ADRs, no tickets, no party tickets, no airline tickets. Maybe Universal, maybe not. I showed her disney.com. I said "Start here." I didn't want to overwhelm, but wanted her to know she needed to make some decisions.
Do they plan to drive around looking for Vacancy signs?
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #291
ammag
DIS Veteran

A relative who is a florida resident and has gone many times told us "oh dont bother with animal kingdom or the studios they are nothing special. Ak is just a zoo and the only people who go there are the nuts who want a photo of mickey in every outfit." what???
My sister in law went last year for 2 days and came back with - oh we had a fun magical time! we got lost all fo the time, spent half the day looking for things and didnt do many rides. Now, I am gld they still felt it was fun but what a waste! They refused any of my info- like get the park apps, check out mousesavers or dis- and how about using an actual map i the park? I dont get it!!! they also waited for the parade fr 4 hours. poor little kids were probably bored out of their minds! The park was at a level of about 3, not crowded btw. Now when they hear about our 8 day trip thats organized etc. she says things, like well must eb nice we could never afford to go again in our lives. well, people spend on different thigns, they make more $ than us and I can assure oyu if they were smart could go yearly if they wished. well to each their own, I a glad I am a nutty planner bc my family will have a better experience! (i hope!)
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #292
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

I get the "it's for kids!" Spiel constantly as a 21 year old man and it drives me nuts. The other regular is "why bother going to Florida when you can go to Paris? It's closer to the uk" though that one is geographically unique I suppose.

Oh, and I've never stayed onside or used ADR's or been heavily into planning, but not using a map at least the first time? Common sense dictates that if you want to make decisions on a day to day basis (which is entirely possible) you need to get a map to do so!
(All Offsite, 14 Days. WDW, US/IOA, SeaWorld and KSC)

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 07, London 08 and 09, Malta 07/2011.

NEXT TRIP: Unknown
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #293
pampam
DIS Veteran

I just had this emailed to me.

http://sn123w.snt123.mail.live.com/d...e0bcc07c8&fv=1

It is a picture of the tree of life from AK. The captions say is is a real tree in Africa, and no one knows who the artist is, or how they managed to carve it without killing the tree.

The strange thing is, the person who emailed it to me, believes it, even though she went with me to WDW 2 years ago.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #294
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I just had this emailed to me.

http://sn123w.snt123.mail.live.com/d...e0bcc07c8&fv=1

It is a picture of the tree of life from AK. The captions say is is a real tree in Africa, and no one knows who the artist is, or how they managed to carve it without killing the tree.

The strange thing is, the person who emailed it to me, believes it, even though she went with me to WDW 2 years ago.
Can't see it with out logging into MSN.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #295
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhitelover View Post
I think that would be the answer I got over the phone w hen I called the disney parks store to check about the costumes:
they told me that I will find there BEAUTIFUL collection of TRULY unique costumes for every girl.

Yep.. that is as much tragic as funny.. just wait untill you get there.. and see
those cheap rugs for costumes. If you want to read more on my experienc not to bore everyone... do read my post on how it ended up for us the whole costume thing. Ever since I advise everyone to buy costumes BEFORe you go or else you will end up like us.
Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. Four posts on four different threads (including one you started) on how bad you think the costumes are.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #296
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. Four posts on four different threads (including one you started) on how bad you think the costumes are.
Nine (so far).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #297
littlebit0863
Mouseketeer

I heard something just today. I was trying to finalize our park days by checking trip calendars and my mother in law called me very upset, telling me that on our first day, a Tuesday, every park closes at 5pm. I had no idea what she was talking about. I told her AK closes fairly early and MK would be closing early for MNNSHP but I will check it out. I checked it out, and no, she was not correct of course. I called her back and she told me my fil boss told him that all the parks close early on Tuesdays and he would know because the company he works for offers discount park tickets.

A friend returned from her first trip this summer and informed me not to go to AK because it is a glorified zoo. She told me my 4 park days aren't enough (I've made enough trips that I'm fine with a park per day) and that I need to dedicate at least 3 days to MK because each line will take about 2 hours. I asked her what in the world she was doing and why she didn't use fast passes and she had no clue what I was talking about.
littlebit0863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #298
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I have few theories on this one:
  • Parent is afraid DS is going to get hurt on such an intense roller coaster. Since you can't see the ride from the outside they can't gauge how bad it is. (yes I know in the roller coaster world SM is a junior coaster)

I was in line for SM next to a very nervous mother with a probably 8 year old boy. The mother kept muttering, kind of to herself. "This doesn't go upside does it, no it doesn't go upside down"? I tried to tell her it doesn't but she gave me one of those what do you know looks. We get off the ride and their photo showed the mom sitting behind the kid with her hands clamped on either side of the kid's head. Must have been a fun ride for both of them.

• Parent is afraid that the ride will scare them and turn them into a basket case for the rest of the trip.

Another story but now we are in CoP. Their were only two or three groups in the theater and there was a family with a 10 or so year old girl. The girl was all fidgety and climbing all over her mother like see needed to be held like a baby. The mother was a little frustrated and told the DD "Look there are no seat belts." They were right next to me so I looked to see what the commotion was and the mother then told me that they had ridden something that day that freaked out the DD so seat belts meant scary ride.

• Parent doesn't want to ride so kid doesn't get to ride.

• Parent doesn't want to wait in line and doesn't know about FP.
This was us last time! My then 7 yeAr old daughter, being stubborn, insisting she had to ride space mountain, she was ready, we were mean !
This is a child who will not ride goofy's barnstormer, or peter pan! (insists it goes too high in the air!) She hates roller coasters! We were trying to convince her, to no avail.
We were those parents, for a good reason!
Guess how she rode it? Half on the floor, screaming, sobbing, and clinging to the bar for dear life. That may be why those parents were trying so hard...they knew their kid's threshold!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #299
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
This was us last time! My then 7 yeAr old daughter, being stubborn, insisting she had to ride space mountain, she was ready, we were mean !
This is a child who will not ride goofy's barnstormer, or peter pan! (insists it goes too high in the air!) She hates roller coasters! We were trying to convince her, to no avail.
We were those parents, for a good reason!
Guess how she rode it? Half on the floor, screaming, sobbing, and clinging to the bar for dear life. That may be why those parents were trying so hard...they knew their kid's threshold!
Love it Lisa!

You were my parents. So many times we see things from the outside, not knowing what is actually happening. I can remember my parents trying to talk me out of things, knowing I would be scared or VERY unhappy. But I was stubborn. So they let me learn the hard way! Sometimes, as kids (and adults) this is what we need!

I learned something a few years back in a management class - put yourself in the customer's place. Not just the fact they are happy or unhappy, but UNDERSTAND what they are going through, and you will understand where they are coming from. This goes a long way in life! Never assume anything, circumstances are different for everyone, and being a tough parent is sometimes the way to go!

:-)
MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #300
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
A relative who is a florida resident and has gone many times told us "oh dont bother with animal kingdom or the studios they are nothing special. Ak is just a zoo and the only people who go there are the nuts who want a photo of mickey in every outfit." what???
It's Nahtazu! Does anyone remember that advertisement on the Disney info channel on the Disney resort televisions? Your post made me yell, "It's Nahtazu!" Then I found it on youtube. You need to send her a link to that.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: