Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #256
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

We were getting on the Monorail last night heading to watch Wishes and this poor woman looked so frazzled that I stopped to see if she needs help. I asked her if I could answer any questions and looking as if she was about to burst into tears she said that she can't figure out where to get tickets to get on the Monorail.

It took all I had in me to not burst out laughing, and calmly said, "Honey, you don't need tickets to ride the monorail!!!" I felt so bad for her that I helped them through baggage check and through the turnstiles. I really hope they were able to do something once inside before we didn't get there until well after 7:30.

Disney Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas
Disney Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip
Disney Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - September 2014 14 Night Western Bound Transatlantic

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #257
nightshaderose
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
We were getting on the Monorail last night heading to watch Wishes and this poor woman looked so frazzled that I stopped to see if she needs help. I asked her if I could answer any questions and looking as if she was about to burst into tears she said that she can't figure out where to get tickets to get on the Monorail.

It took all I had in me to not burst out laughing, and calmly said, "Honey, you don't need tickets to ride the monorail!!!" I felt so bad for her that I helped them through baggage check and through the turnstiles. I really hope they were able to do something once inside before we didn't get there until well after 7:30.

Once upon a very, very long time ago (mid-80's), you did need a ticket to ride the monorail (at least the Epcot one) if you weren't a resort guest. I remember, when I was 10 or so and we'd driven over from Tampa, my mom having to buy us tickets (it was like $2) because I really wanted to ride the monorail, and then being amazed at how far it went (my previous monorail experience was all at DL). We totally missed the fireworks by going on that adventure, but I still to this day hold that it was worth it.

The silliest thing I've heard in Disney world was on my first trip as an adult. I was watching DeVine in AK and some guy in the group next to me went "Wow, they've got some fantastic anamatronics these days!"

VACATION RULE #3
Touring plans are like boyfriends. They’re useful and comforting to have around, and they can often make the difference between the day being a disaster or a success, but you have to be willing to ditch them if they’re not making you happy.

'86: one day at Epcot with family; fall '04:5-day Pop All Hallows/F&WF; Jan/Feb '08: 7-day unintended "farewell to Pop Century" trip. (OMG we bought DVC!!); May '08: 4-day Grand Californian; Nov '08: 4-day F&WF trip to BCV (and a Dream Squad member changed my life); Jan/Feb '10: 5 days @ BWV + 3 days @ AKV club; Dec '10: solstice trip, 3 days AKV Jambo + 3 days BWV; Jan '12: Wow, I'm the first to graduate from my Jewelry Design Program! 4 days BLT, 4 days AKV-CL; Jan '13: 3 days BLT, 4 days AKV-Jambo
nightshaderose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #258
AwfullyBigAdventures
Mouseketeer

The silliest thing I ever heard was from a coworker right after I got back from my first trip to WDW last December. She was asking if I had fun and I shared a couple of stories from the trip and then she shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't know why you bothered going all the way to Florida, Disneyland is much closer and soooooo much bigger." (To be fair, we're in Utah, which IS closer to California) I tried to explain that WDW was actually MUCH larger but she just told me that she's a very big Disney fan and she's been to both so she "knows exactly what she is talking about."

I gave up, excused myself with a smile and went into my office. She then had a loud conversation with two other coworkers (who haven't been to WDW) in the hallway outside my office and told them all about how WDW was also such a disappointment for her because they don't even bother decorating for the holidays and they hardly have any rides. She clearly wanted me to hear, but I wasn't about to start an argument with an expert, so I ignored it. The next day I responded by bringing some of my vacation photos and leaving them out in the break room- with dozens and dozens of pictures of us posing by our favorite rides, characters and Christmas decorations (We LOVED the trees, gingerbread houses, ect.)

Disneyland
October 2006-Residence Inn by Marriott
January 2013- Rental Condo
September 2014

Disney World
December 2011- Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014

Last edited by AwfullyBigAdventures; 09-18-2012 at 09:57 PM.
AwfullyBigAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #259
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4 View Post
I had a newbie tell me recently that they were not going to MVMCP but would get to see the parade because MK had EMH the same night as the party.
Yeah good luck with that

Years ago when I was a castmember and had to park in the lots (as oposed to staying at a resort) I over heard the young ladies sitting across from us on the tram.

First Girl : We're parked in row H
Second Girl: But the lot's all have names like Goofy or Sleepy
First Girl: I looked there was a big H printed at the end of our row

I leaned over and said "That was the handicap space"
I have no idea how they found their car.
O.M.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Or maybe she did check-in but got stuck in the TWILIGHT ZONE (queue Twilight Zone music).

I was thinking the same thing!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Solo Trip DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Family & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~Milestones w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run & Reunion 10/13 @ POP ~ AS Sports w/Sis for Glass Slipper Challenge! 2/21-25
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #260
disneyluvrtink
Mouseketeer

I had a coworker argue with me. She was talking about how she went to Orlando and she went to Epcot, but didn't go to Disney. I was like Epcot is at disney too, she said no, the one with the castle is Disney, Epcot is seperate. I told her Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood studios are all considered Disney World. They call it 4 parks one world. She just wasn't having it lol. She still to this day calls MK disney. It just bugs me lol

Emmy
disneyluvrtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #261
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

I'm glad this has never happened to me...this kind of stuff gets on my nerves!

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #262
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshaderose View Post
Once upon a very, very long time ago (mid-80's), you did need a ticket to ride the monorail (at least the Epcot one) if you weren't a resort guest. I remember, when I was 10 or so and we'd driven over from Tampa, my mom having to buy us tickets (it was like $2)
Nope.

But, that DOES fit in with the thread title.

Last edited by Bob NC; 09-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #263
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC

Nope.

Yes, but it was longer ago than mid 80s.

When you bought a ticket book there was a tear off for the monorail or ferry to the MK. You could also but just a monorail, or ferry, ticket by itself. I don't remember how much it was.

Resort guests could also ride for free. This was the same time you had to show a ticket or resort id to use the buses also.

I think by 1980, this was done. I know it was done by the time epcot opened.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #264
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

When I was growing up we vacationed at WDW all of the time, sometimes 3 times a year. I live in Florida and we had annual passes. I got the "you're going to Disney AGaIN!?" statement all of the time.

I love the people who tell me that they went to Disney World and I say "great! What park did you go to?" and they tell me "Disney World!" meaning they think that the Magic Kingdom is called Disney World!

Future:
Disney Dream - 05/15/13

Completed:
Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11
Carnival Dream - 07/31/10
Disney Wonder - 11/05/09
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09
Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere
Disney Wonder - 11/01/07
Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05
Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04
Disney Magic - 03/27/04
Disney Wonder - 10/02/03
Disney Wonder - 5/16/02

Last edited by Meredisney; 09-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #265
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Once upon a very, very long time ago (mid-80's), you did need a ticket to ride the monorail (at least the Epcot one) if you weren't a resort guest. I remember, when I was 10 or so and we'd driven over from Tampa, my mom having to buy us tickets (it was like $2) because I really wanted to ride the monorail, and then being amazed at how far it went (my previous monorail experience was all at DL). We totally missed the fireworks by going on that adventure, but I still to this day hold that it was worth it.

The silliest thing I've heard in Disney world was on my first trip as an adult. I was watching DeVine in AK and some guy in the group next to me went "Wow, they've got some fantastic anamatronics these days!"
Wow learn something new every day!!! To be fair though, this woman looked a bit older than me, but not much! I highly doubt she knew what took place back then. It was pretty apparent they didn't do much in regards to planning and/or research. I truly felt bad for all of them!

Disney Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas
Disney Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip
Disney Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - September 2014 14 Night Western Bound Transatlantic

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #266
nightshaderose
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
Yes, but it was longer ago than mid 80s.

When you bought a ticket book there was a tear off for the monorail or ferry to the MK. You could also but just a monorail, or ferry, ticket by itself. I don't remember how much it was.

Resort guests could also ride for free. This was the same time you had to show a ticket or resort id to use the buses also.

I think by 1980, this was done. I know it was done by the time epcot opened.
I swear to god that when I went on that monorail ride (this would have been '86 or '87) it cost extra money. I remember having the "do you really want to do this thing that costs extra money?" conversation with my mom and everything. It may have been a wristband rather than a ticket, but my mother definitely gave money to a CM in that booth under the monorail station.

VACATION RULE #3
Touring plans are like boyfriends. They’re useful and comforting to have around, and they can often make the difference between the day being a disaster or a success, but you have to be willing to ditch them if they’re not making you happy.

'86: one day at Epcot with family; fall '04:5-day Pop All Hallows/F&WF; Jan/Feb '08: 7-day unintended "farewell to Pop Century" trip. (OMG we bought DVC!!); May '08: 4-day Grand Californian; Nov '08: 4-day F&WF trip to BCV (and a Dream Squad member changed my life); Jan/Feb '10: 5 days @ BWV + 3 days @ AKV club; Dec '10: solstice trip, 3 days AKV Jambo + 3 days BWV; Jan '12: Wow, I'm the first to graduate from my Jewelry Design Program! 4 days BLT, 4 days AKV-CL; Jan '13: 3 days BLT, 4 days AKV-Jambo
nightshaderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM   #267
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
This is the best thing I have ever read! Seriously.

Some people! They really think they are something special. LOL.
Nah, they KNOW they're not that special, but are just terrified anyone else will find out...
So they brag about the things they got to do and delude themselves into thinking that teh rest of us believe it.

I always find those people really amusing
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #268
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

One of The silliest I ever heard came from my own mouth!! This was on our first trip

DH: what is downtown Disney, do we want to go there?
Me: no our tickets don't Include that, we'll see it next time

Aw youth, how I have grown since then!

I don't mind people not knowing info. What bugs me are the "you're going again" "aren't you tired of it" " must be nice". These comments are inevitably from people who go to the same beach multilple times a year and act like its the bees knees!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #269
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Nope.

Quote:
I swear to god that when I went on that monorail ride (this would have been '86 or '87) it cost extra money. I remember having the "do you really want to do this thing that costs extra money?" conversation with my mom and everything. It may have been a wristband rather than a ticket, but my mother definitely gave money to a CM in that booth under the monorail station.
Wikipedia's page for the DL monorail says that it used to require an E-ticket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyl...ts_and_Figures

Couldn't find anything about the WDW monorail though.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #270
Lu Ann
Afternoon Tea Hostess

Here is a site that shows the old transportation tickets for the monorail:

http://vintagedisneylandtickets.blog...portation.html

Husband's first trip to WDW was to the Preview Center, prior to the park opening in 1971
We are both 5th-Generation Native Floridians!

Engaged at WDW 1984
Honeymooned at WDW 1985

Last WDW Trip: September 30, 2012
Next WDW Trip: December 9-14, 2012
Lu Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: