Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #241
jenjie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelugnut

great thread, and yes it is good for a laugh,
but this quote really got me, i am sorry we started late. I tell people the same thing, my kids may not remember it, but i will remember it with my kids.
I wouldnt trade a Disney moment for anything.
I think Walts idea was that it is a place where parents can enjoy and have fun with their kids. a true family vacation.
dang i wish i was going right now.
thats another reason to go while they are young.
when they get older they start having their own responsibilities like stupid school, and h.s. sports.
dang i wish i was going to disney.
You know, we took our kids 10 years ago, when they were small. I made a scrapbook and wrote down the stories and little details. My kids looked at the scrapbook so often that even if they didn't REMEMBER, they "remembered".
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #242
Jamary
Earning My Ears

My absolute favorite: Many years ago, when they had just made the announcement about Tower of Terror and had put up the signs in the park, I overheard a woman bragging to another woman on a Disney bus that she and her husband were going to be the first guests at the Hollywood Hotel. The other woman remarked that she didn't think it was going to be a hotel, just a ride. The other woman smugly stated that "most people don't know about it but it will be very exclusive and we'll be able to stay there because we are good friends with someone very 'high up' at Disney and we'll be able to stay there before anyone else can" . I do hope she's not still waiting to check into her room.......
Jamary is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #243
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamary View Post
My absolute favorite: Many years ago, when they had just made the announcement about Tower of Terror and had put up the signs in the park, I overheard a woman bragging to another woman on a Disney bus that she and her husband were going to be the first guests at the Hollywood Hotel. The other woman remarked that she didn't think it was going to be a hotel, just a ride. The other woman smugly stated that "most people don't know about it but it will be very exclusive and we'll be able to stay there because we are good friends with someone very 'high up' at Disney and we'll be able to stay there before anyone else can" . I do hope she's not still waiting to check into her room.......
Or maybe she did check-in but got stuck in the TWILIGHT ZONE (queue Twilight Zone music).
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #244
cindyfan
DIS Veteran

About 10-14 years ago DD and I were at MK on a VERY BUSY and HOT June afternoon.
We were walking towards Pirates and there was a family standing there with a map..... looking very confused! .... the young girl was about 6 or 7yrs old. And obviously having a major melt down!!
She was complaining that they hadn't been on anything yet, etc.
Then she literally SCREAMED louder than anything I've ever heard....."IS THAT ALL WE ARE GOING TO DO ALL DAY IS STAND HERE!!!!

DD and I looked at each other and just busted up laughing!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #245
theparsons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyfan View Post
About 10-14 years ago DD and I were at MK on a VERY BUSY and HOT June afternoon.
We were walking towards Pirates and there was a family standing there with a map..... looking very confused! .... the young girl was about 6 or 7yrs old. And obviously having a major melt down!!
She was complaining that they hadn't been on anything yet, etc.
Then she literally SCREAMED louder than anything I've ever heard....."IS THAT ALL WE ARE GOING TO DO ALL DAY IS STAND HERE!!!!

DD and I looked at each other and just busted up laughing!
Can you IMAGINE what she's like at home!?
theparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #246
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Duplicate post, apologies.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #247
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara

I hope someday you get a chance to take her. I took my mom on my 3rd land/sea package to Disney.

She was not all about the parks, but she loved POR and AK. We spent an hour sitting across SM watching everyone come down the last drop, she squealed with delight and told me about the night I was born and the first day she took me to school.

We spent an entire 2 days at just AK, and took the water taxi to DTD every night, even just for the heck of it.

The best part, the cruise. We were upgraded from inside cabin to oceanview room nd have never looked back. We are leaving on our 5th cruise in 3 weeks, this time to Bermuda. She is missing a trip of a lifetime....
I really do hope I can take her someday! It's ovbiously fair enough that some people don't get it and never will but it would be cool for her to actually try it out first.....
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #248
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamary
This is the best thing I have ever read! Seriously.

Some people! They really think they are something special. LOL.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #249
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
What happens when you do this? I have tried but usually I get the look where they look at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.
Mostly if I'm asking this question it's a situation where we're both riding on the bus, here at home, or maybe while we're in line. Sometimes I get the lobster look, and that's okay. Many times, folks have been glad for a little info.

I think what I'm saying is most of the time when I'm offering info- both of us have nothing else to do but chit chat a little.

I've been to WDW mnay times, so I kind of know my way around, but even I have been surprised at fun/helpful info other guests have given me over the years. Like maybe pointing out a hidden Mickey, or pointing out something special that's happening. Sometimes it's info I already know, but I usually thank the person if they are nice. You never know. It's been pretty rare for us to encounter someone who is rude about correcting us.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #250
JohnNYC
Mouseketeer

On the monorail right now as I post. Just heard this, "Does this stop at Animal Kingdom?"

A minute later, while they were looking through their brochures....,"Ooh, this Chef Mickey looks good, let's eat there tonight."

pre 2000, multiple offsite stays, WDW
August 2000 Disneyland Paris
July 2006 Disneyland Paris
August 2007 Yacht Club/Polynesian CL
August 2008 Coronado Springs/Beach Club/Grand Floridian RPC
August 2009 Beach Club/Contemporary CL
April 2010 Disneyland Paris
August 2010 Beach Club/Wilderness Lodge

August 2011 Beach Club/Wilderness Lodge
JohnNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #251
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

At first I thought this was a one off (I saw it on Disney's FB page as a comment to a post) but now I have heard it a couple of times so it is clear some folks are confused by Disney's advertising. The person who commented on Disney's FB page said this (direct quote):

"Love Disney...but so sad that they only offer these deals to families of 4. 5 kids....cut us break....PLEASE!!"

This was in response to a post on WDW FB page reminding folks about the FD promo that is up at the end of the month. They had posted the example of 6 nights/7 days family of 4 is $xx pp/pn for select Values etc...
It seems that this advertisement causes confusion for some.. many people commented on the thread to let her know that she could get the promotion if her dates were right but that she would obviously pay more than advertised.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #252
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
On our first day we were doing some resort hopping and checked out the Swan and Dolphin. The next day she kept referring to them as the "Swan and Carp hotels." I kept telling her its the Dolphin, but she pointed out it didn't have a dolphin nose, it looked like a fish and it has to be a carp. I tried to tell her there are different types of dolphins than just the typical kind people think of when you hear the word dolphin.
I always thought it is supposed to be the dolphinfish - not dolphin as in marine mammal like "flipper" but a fish. You don't really see this fish referred to as dolphin anymore most people now say mahi mahi. The fish and marine mamal by the same name was too confusing especially at restaurants

So if she were to say Swan and Mahi Mahi she would be correct - still laughed at though

Anyway, before posting it I did a quick search and at least one other site agrees with me: http://www.yesterland.com/swandolphin.html
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #253
SpiritedHaunts
Mouseketeer

Heraldic Dolphins

As far as I know the dolphins are in fact heraldic dolphin of nautical mythology. They may look more like the dolphin fish of today, but seem to be closer related to the dolphins and porpoises of today.

According to all the trinkets I have from the opening I think they are stylized representations more than anything else. Plus I doubt that I would have accepted a plushie if it looked like a fish to me. But, hey, that's art.

You can also see examples of the heraldic dolphins on old maritime maps and even on the big globe in the Board Walk, I believe, lobby.
SpiritedHaunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #254
Jessica14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
What time is the 3 o'clock parade? ;-)
We saw a T-shirt with this printed on it in The Emporium. My DH said, "That's silly! I don't get it. Who would think that?" I replied, "You have nooo idea how many people actually ask that. This is why they made a T-shirt with it."
Jessica
2010:POFQ 12/11-12/17:
2011: Santa took us to POP!

My Blog: A Woman's Pause www.jessicajudd.blogspot.com
Jessica14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #255
GoofyWithGlasses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedHaunts
As far as I know the dolphins are in fact heraldic dolphin of nautical mythology. They may look more like the dolphin fish of today, but seem to be closer related to the dolphins and porpoises of today.

According to all the trinkets I have from the opening I think they are stylized representations more than anything else. Plus I doubt that I would have accepted a plushie if it looked like a fish to me. But, hey, that's art.

You can also see examples of the heraldic dolphins on old maritime maps and even on the big globe in the Board Walk, I believe, lobby.
Ahhh, now that makes more sense... we also think it looks like a fish, and so we always refer to it as the Swan and Guppy :D

Check out my blog!

http://www.goofywithglasses.blogspot.com
GoofyWithGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: