Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #226
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

After correcting them several times, to no avail, my SIL & BIL couldn't understand why they couldn't find the bus stop for "Pop Culture", on the transportation sign leaving Animal Kingdom. We were all staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge at the time, on our DVC points, but they were staying a few days longer after we left, and switching over to "Pop Culture". I figured they'd figure it out sooner or later.
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #227
goodfood4ursoul
DIS Veteran

Wink what about the naps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
My inlaws have had many opportunities to go while visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now
  • wake up
  • eat breakfast
  • sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch
  • eat lunch
  • sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner
  • eat dinner
  • sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner
  • go to bed
  • Next day lather, rinse, repeat
Are we related?
But you forgot about the NAPS!
Naps come after every meal
and they don't want us to leave and go do anything fun while they nap.
Their mouths say "go have fun" but their attitude after is not a happy one

And the complaining about "why does everyone want to _______ ?"
(have a snack before dinner- you'll ruin your supper; go out driving and explore without any specific plan)
IDK- maybe because we are on vacation...
and we are grown people who have kids who are grown people now

We've figured out that after 10 years of retirement, "vacation" is retiree-speak for 'napping in exotic locations'
We get a very limited amount of so we want to make the most of it.

I am thankful to still have my wonderful parents ,
and we go "home" to visit for plenty of time at the holidays where we completely do things on their schedule and agenda,
but vacationing together? no thank you

yep
goodfood4ursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #228
jwgm2012
Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristainohio View Post
I seriously had a friend/coworker argue with me for about 20 minutes that alcohol is served at MK. When I tried to nicely explain that it has never been served there, she got more and more belligerent even telling me that "her brother bought a beer across the street from its a small world" when they were there last month. I finally had to drop it since she was getting so irate. She's a person who can never be wrong!
Sadly, in a few weeks your coworker will be right! MK will start serving alcohol at BOG in the new Fantasyland area. Granted it's not a bar or available to take when walking through the parks but it's available with your meal so it's technically no longer a dry park...

And when I sad sadly - I say that because they're right in their assumption... doesn't matter to me if it's sold or not - matters more that we're right
jwgm2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #229
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

This is such a great thread :-)

The silliest comments I have heard are pretty much the same as others, my MIL thinks its for all kids and that we are mental to go on a Disney holiday. She thinks the cruise that we are on next year is just silly *rollseyes*
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #230
Jessij25
Earning My Ears

Too funny

I can count on this thread for a great laugh!!
Off site- 1989 & 2000
Jessij25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #231
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

The silliest comment I think I've ever heard was said by one of my coworkers:
"But you've been there before? Doesn't it get boring?"

Why it was THE silliest comment is because this coworker spends every vacation visiting the same cabin on the same pond in order to fish. That's all they do. Prepare to fish, fish, clean fish, eat fish, repeat. And she thinks going to WDW more than once if boring?

Quote:
So I went for the first time this past summer, and I was 17 at the time. I got "I don't know why she's in a character line, she's too old!" so many times, you would not believe!
Eh, my dd has been to WDW many times and was a CP this spring -- and friends with many of "Mickey's friends" IRL -- and she still loves to have her picture taken with and "meet" the characters. It's all about what's in your heart, not your chronological age or number of times you've visited.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #232
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

I had a newbie tell me recently that they were not going to MVMCP but would get to see the parade because MK had EMH the same night as the party.
Yeah good luck with that

Years ago when I was a castmember and had to park in the lots (as oposed to staying at a resort) I over heard the young ladies sitting across from us on the tram.

First Girl : We're parked in row H
Second Girl: But the lot's all have names like Goofy or Sleepy
First Girl: I looked there was a big H printed at the end of our row

I leaned over and said "That was the handicap space"
I have no idea how they found their car.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #233
shannon006
DIS Veteran

I haven't read through this thread, so forgive me if its been said, but one of my favorites is hearing people saying they're staying at Sarasota Springs.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #234
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

What time is the 3 o'clock parade? ;-)
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #235
Bama_C
Artful DISer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfood4ursoul View Post
We've figured out that after 10 years of retirement, "vacation" is retiree-speak for 'napping in exotic locations

FDDP Year 9 at CBR Booked 10/2014!!, 10/2013 POR FDDP,12/2012 FDDP, 09/2011 FDDP, 09/10 FDDP, 04/10 ASM KTTK tour w/ DS2, Pop 10/09 FDDP, ASM 01/09, Pop 09/08 FDDP, 01/08 ASM KTTK Tour w/ DS1, 09/07 POR FDDP, 09/06 POR FDDP, 09/05 Pop, 09/02 ASM, '88, '86, & '82 off site

Bama_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #236
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo
The silliest comment I think I've ever heard was said by one of my coworkers:
"But you've been there before? Doesn't it get boring?"

Why it was THE silliest comment is because this coworker spends every vacation visiting the same cabin on the same pond in order to fish. That's all they do. Prepare to fish, fish, clean fish, eat fish, repeat. And she thinks going to WDW more than once if boring?
Your post made me chuckle. From the time my dad was in high school, my grandparents had a cottage in CT. Every summer for 2 weeks and Xmas for one week for my life through my 30's, it is where we went.

When we sold the cottage and I was left to my own resources, I did vacation close to home (Williamsburg, VA, Baltimore, MD, Ocean City, MD).

When I turned 40, I decided to do something new and tried out the land/sea disney package, which now has me stuck on the world. I am even planning my retirement around being close to Disney among other places on the east coast. It is familiar, but always changing....and it got me hooked on cruising. I am about to leave for Bermuda. Thanks, Disney.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #237
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987
This is such a great thread :-)

The silliest comments I have heard are pretty much the same as others, my MIL thinks its for all kids and that we are mental to go on a Disney holiday. She thinks the cruise that we are on next year is just silly *rollseyes*
I hope someday you get a chance to take her. I took my mom on my 3rd land/sea package to Disney.

She was not all about the parks, but she loved POR and AK. We spent an hour sitting across SM watching everyone come down the last drop, she squealed with delight and told me about the night I was born and the first day she took me to school.

We spent an entire 2 days at just AK, and took the water taxi to DTD every night, even just for the heck of it.

The best part, the cruise. We were upgraded from inside cabin to oceanview room nd have never looked back. We are leaving on our 5th cruise in 3 weeks, this time to Bermuda. She is missing a trip of a lifetime....
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #238
DekrRini
Earning My Ears

I'll never forget our first family trip to WDW. Parents, siblings and families, me. We were on our way back to Dixie Landings (see how long ago it was) after spending the day at Epcot. All the kids, and adults, were tired. My three year old niece (now 20 something) piped up and said, "Mommy, when are we going to get to DisneyWorld?"
DekrRini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #239
biondagirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy1013 View Post
Why are you taking your kids already? (2.9 and 17 mo). They won't remember it.

No probably not. But they will love it. And mom and dad will too!!!! (and you gotta go once while they are free!!!!)
We heard that one, too. My parents used to rent a vacation home in the spring and we'd come down for a visit each year. So, we were very lucky to have gone so frequently. AND, when both our kids were 1. They might not remember it, but we do. And we have pictures to prove they loved it!

biondagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #240
onelugnut
Donald Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondagirl View Post
We heard that one, too. My parents used to rent a vacation home in the spring and we'd come down for a visit each year. So, we were very lucky to have gone so frequently. AND, when both our kids were 1. They might not remember it, but we do. And we have pictures to prove they loved it!
great thread, and yes it is good for a laugh,
but this quote really got me, i am sorry we started late. I tell people the same thing, my kids may not remember it, but i will remember it with my kids.
I wouldnt trade a Disney moment for anything.
I think Walts idea was that it is a place where parents can enjoy and have fun with their kids. a true family vacation.
dang i wish i was going right now.
thats another reason to go while they are young.
when they get older they start having their own responsibilities like stupid school, and h.s. sports.
dang i wish i was going to disney.
onelugnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: