Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #181
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

Yes it can. For others in my area, out by the airport, it was White Swan Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Swan_Park
Wow - now that brings back memories. White Swan actually makes Kennywood look like WDW by comparison.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #182
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Wow - now that brings back memories. White Swan actually makes Kennywood look like WDW by comparison.
Yea As for West View I'm watching this right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjDs7edpbo
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #183
PeanutButterMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

My inlaws have had many opportunities to go while visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.:
wait, so you mean to tell me I've been reading about these infamous Dole Whips only to now find out that I could drive half an hour and try this mythical creation?!?
Me (slice-o-bread #1) DH (my matching slice) PeanutButter (AKA PB) Jelly
PeanutButterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #184
PeanutButterMom
Mouseketeer

And Idlewild was just voted Best Kids' Park in the World by Amusement Today (I think this is the 3rd year?). Now, we love Idlewild, but Disney it is not.
Me (slice-o-bread #1) DH (my matching slice) PeanutButter (AKA PB) Jelly
PeanutButterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #185
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterMom View Post
wait, so you mean to tell me I've been reading about these infamous Dole Whips only to now find out that I could drive half an hour and try this mythical creation?!?
Yes no matter what CM's say on the KTTK tour, Dole Whips are NOT exclusive to DLR, WDW and the Dole Plantation. Anyone can buy the mix and sell it.

This year the TCBY frozen yogurt was replaced with Dole Soft Serve (the new real name). I had an 8oz pineapple just this past Sunday was about $3. They have two machines, one chocolate/vanilla and the other one was strawberry/pineapple. I would have done a strawberry/pineapple swirl but I wanted the pure Dole Whip experience.

I would have taken a pic and posted it but my family already thinks my Disney "obsession" is weird.

If you are going, this is the last weekend its open before they close and reopen for Phantom Fright Nights.

Also the cheapest ticket option is a Night Rider ticket for around $25 so its a pretty expensive Dole Whip.

Oh and you can also buy the dry mix and make it at home in a ice cream maker. Its even better if you have a home soft serve machine.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #186
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

StoryLand in New Hampshire added Dole Whips (sort of). No floats though and they don't really do it right.

But still tasty
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #187
EagleFlyer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButterMom View Post
Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster has them too.
EagleFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #188
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

"Does this monorail go to Epcot?" Now, the question wouldn't have been so idiotic if it weren't for the fact that the man asking it was standing in the Epcot monorail station at the time.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #189
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

A friend of mine was 100% sure that the rental boats could be used to head over to MK and dock there. Nooooooo.....
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #190
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I have 2 that both happened in the same trip. Both stories involve Asians who didn't speak much English or no English. Both involved cast members who handled the situations beautifully.

Story 1: we were on a Disney bus to Downtown Disney. At one of the stops, a guy got on with a black duffle carryon type bag and just said "airport" to the driver. The driver said "this is a resort bus. It doesn't go to the airport". The guy said "no airport?". Bus driver said "no airport". Guy said "which bus airport?" Driver said "look for cab". Guy got off and away he went. Wish I knew why he thought he could get a bus to the airport at downtown Disney.

Story 2: Years ago you could get breakfast pizza at Roaring Forks with your choice of bacon or sausage I think. You placed your order at check out and they would give you a number. When your order was ready they would call your number and put your food in a window in the dining room. I digress but I wish they still did it this way. Anyway, guy goes to checkout at breakfast and says, "hot dog". Cashier says "we only have hot dogs for lunch or dinner". Guy again says "hot dog". Cashier says "no hot dogs right now.". He says, "pizza". Cashier says, "bacon or sausage?". He says, "yes". Cashier says "ok". I never knew which one he ended up with.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #191
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Wish I knew why he thought he could get a bus to the airport at downtown Disney.
You can get an Orlando bus to the airport at Downtown Disney (it involves a transfer 50 to 15).
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #192
Flagondry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFlyer View Post
Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster has them too.

If you live in central or northern NY dole whips can also be purchased in the small northern town of Croghan, NY at Schultz's restaurant.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #193
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox
A friend of mine was 100% sure that the rental boats could be used to head over to MK and dock there. Nooooooo.....
That would be cool though!

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #194
missesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3Princes View Post
This happened during my last trip in August. We met my 2 year old niece and her mom, and grandparents there. They stayed at Sheraton Vistana and we stayed at OKW. This convo is between my niece's mom and me.

Her: I was surprised at where your hotel is bc I thought it would be IN Disney.

Me: It is in Disney.

Her: No, I mean actually IN, IN Disney.

Me: Old Key West is owned by Disney and within the gates of Disney.

Her: Yeah, but it's so close to our resort. So you're not IN Disney.

Sigh, I just let it go at that point. I don't know if she expected our hotel to be in one of the parks?? IDK... I was tired and it was a long day at AK, so I let it go .
I love the "IN" Disney part. Someone we know was going to spend...wait for it....$600 per night to stay "IN" Disney at OKW. OKW is nice but for $600 per night Mickey better be making me breakfast in my room himself! I explained multiple times this location wasn't like in the middle of the park, just inside the 46 ish square miles of property! Thankfully...they listened and moved to effectively the same room at the Marriott Vacation club for 1/3 the price. (They were using exactly 0 on site benefits).

I also like the griping of people during a holiday who are so shocked that it is so crowded!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #195
MrsKreamer
Moo
The third batch of pancakes is the charm
skinny jeans are the devil

My mother, who has beer been, always says "but what can a 5 (or insert 2, 3, etc) year old going to do in Disney! He won't be able to ride anything!".

Or "how can you go for 10 days, you are crazy!" (10 days in September to go at a leisurely pace because one of my children has Asperger's and can't handle touring commando style)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: