Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #166
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

The one I hear the most is "Isn't it just like Six Flags?" because we have a Six Flags here. I have even heard that it is just like the State Fair. Oh my gosh
Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #167
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceemouse
The one I hear the most is "Isn't it just like Six Flags?" because we have a Six Flags here. I have even heard that it is just like the State Fair. Oh my gosh
*lol* Yes, it's just like the State Fair. That's why people spend thousands of dollars - so they can ride the ferris wheel and eat corn dogs.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #168
lnh'smom
DIS Veteran

I don't know if you all are aware of this or not, but you can only eat with the characters IF you are on the DXDDP because it takes 2 credits to eat with them. 2 different people I work with have paid for/upgraded to the DXDDP cause their kids wanted to eat with characters. I tried to explain that you don't have to have DDP at all, let alone deluxe, and that most character meals aren't 2 credits but they don't believe me. Oh and they can't believe that I spend less then they spent and we go for more days and have more kids. I must be getting a discount because we go so often! Don't I wish!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #169
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceemouse View Post
My inlaws have had many opportunities to go while visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now
  • wake up
  • eat breakfast
  • sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch
  • eat lunch
  • sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner
  • eat dinner
  • sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner
  • go to bed
  • Next day lather, rinse, repeat

Last edited by chartle; 09-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #170
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

My inlaws have had many opportunities to go visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.
Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year? *rotfl*

Anyway, I was always more partial to Cedar Point.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #171
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year?

Actually my park growing up was West View Park (Union Picnic) and/or Idlewild (Company Picnic). Kennywood was my wife's and we went to CP a few times.

I really only started going to Kennywood because of dating her oh and the fact that West View Park kind of burned to ground and is now a shopping plaza.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #172
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Actually my park growing up was West View Park (Union Picnic) and/or Idlewild (Company Picnic). Kennywood was my wife's and we went to CP a few times.

I really only started going to Kennywood because of dating her oh and the fact that West View Park kind of burned to ground and is now a shopping plaza.
Yay Idlewild. Also went to many company picnics there in the 70s. And yay Storybook Forest!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #173
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Yay Idlewild. Also went to many company picnics there in the 70s. And yay Storybook Forest!
Have you been back? that keyhole got really small over the years.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #174
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have you been back? that keyhole got really small over the years.
LOL. Yes, we took my kids there for a trip in 2006 and took pictures of the, to match my old pictures!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #175
RCharnay
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My inlaws have had many opportunities to go visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now

[*]wake up[*]eat breakfast[*]sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch[*]eat lunch[*]sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner[*]eat dinner[*]sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner[*]go to bed[*]Next day lather, rinse, repeat

You just described my in-laws!
2008 - Nov - Hilton Head
2008 - December/Jan - OKW
2010-Jan-VWL
2011-Jan-OKW/BWV
2011-Mar-AK SV
2012-Mar & Dec-OKW
2013-Dec-OKW
2014-Jan & Mar & Oct & Dec-OKW
RCharnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #176
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c

*lol* Now there's a blast from the past.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #177
HomeiswhereMickeyis
When can I go back?

LOVE this thread!!! I think the craziest thing I have ever heard was 'Disney isn't for kids!' and 'I'm not taking my kids until they are teenagers because they will be too young' and then there is the 'Normally we would go now but I'm not taking a baby to to Disney since it will cost too much extra, so we are waiting until the baby is 3 or 4'

~~~~
First trip in '87 too many to count since...
Trips together: Wonder {Bahamas}-10, POP Century-April 12, Coranado Springs {Anniversary trip} - August 12

Last edited by HomeiswhereMickeyis; 09-14-2012 at 01:38 PM.
HomeiswhereMickeyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #178
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
LOL. Yes, we took my kids there for a trip in 2006 and took pictures of the, to match my old pictures!
As a kid for me it was the late 60's early 70's and it was the Duquesne Light Company Picnic. One year I must have been around 5, since my younger sister wasn't around yet, my mother made us all matching plaid shirts. Picture made the company newsletter.

Have gone back with my "kids" many times but they are getting too old now (see my sig) and haven't been there in maybe 10 or so years and for some reason we don't go with my younger sister who has a DD6.

I'm getting old and now have to wait for Grandchildren.

Hey whats for dinner I hope they have a good piece of fish.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #179
EagleFlyer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year? *rotfl*

Could be worse, our "big" trip was always to Waldameer in Erie.
EagleFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #180
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFlyer View Post
Could be worse, our "big" trip was always to Waldameer in Erie.
Yes it can. For others in my area, out by the airport, it was White Swan Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Swan_Park

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: