Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #151
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Two:

"Disney is just for kids"

"didn't you just go last year?"
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #152
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
Agreed.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #153
albarellic
Mouseketeer

My favorite has to be my DS comment... I don't think anyone else was around to overhear it, but it cracks me up just thinking about it. We planned our first day to be our Epcot day and as we were leaving the park, I asked my son (who was 3.5 years old) how did he like his first day in Disney World?

he was pretty mad when he told me,-

"I thought you guys were taking me to Disney World and all you did was take me to Epcot!"
albarellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #154
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post
"Must be nice to be able to afford eight days at WDW. We can't afford that, so we are doing one day at Sea World, one at Disney, one at Universal, one at Legoland..."

The mind, she boggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera23608 View Post
Planning trips around love bug season. How are love bugs even an issue?!?!!?
Aside from what's been mentioned, they can ruin the finish on your car, which can get some people who like to travel in a new or snazzy car a bit wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollynholly View Post
Anyway, my mother who has been there a few moons ago, asked if while we're there do we have to do everything Disney?
We've yet to do everything Disney. We prefer to take a day off between park days, and we often do something else in the Orlando area on some of those days. WDW is a very artificial environment where most things are "cranked up to eleven" -- I enjoy it more when I can take a break in the real world now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
"if you go to the magic kingdom start on the LEFT side and you won't hit any lines." (possible, but there are more advanced strategies, hehe)
I wonder if that myth persists because going left does put you in the deadest area of the park at opening. Go left in the MK and you're in Adventureland, which is pretty quiet the first hour or so. Go left in Epcot and it's Ellen's Energy Adventure, rarely mobbed. Go left in the AK and it's the lines for the characters, pretty empty except right before or after FOTLK. Go left in HS and it's Echo Lake and Indiana Jones, where there's nothin' doin' a fair bit of the morning.

Doesn't help you any once you hit the heavy traffic, but I suspect a lot of "go lefters" figure they avoided the worst of it or something.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #155
ollynholly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfood4ursoul View Post
It sounds like your mom is ready to spend more time exploring outside the gates of the Magic...why fight the issue
There's a lot to see out there, and as long as she leaves you all to your own plans it's a win-win situation
Have her check out this website: www.freshfloridacitrus.com/
Turn her loose with a car and GPS for the morning while you all enjoy the parks
This is a family-run operation within 30 minutes of WDW, she can taste all the fresh citrus before she buys- I recommend the Page oranges- they are to DIE for!
And you are going during the height of citrus season...
Somewhere I read a research study that signs on life have actually been reported outside the House of Mouse...

Who knows, there could be an up-side to her defection...
maybe she'll fall in love with the area and invest in a second home...

We were never "bit" by the "Move to Florida" bug until we stayed off-site and explored...
too bad we have lots more time before we can afford to retire...
Oh she is very much welcome to explore on her own. No arguments here. I just thought she sounded silly, you have to know my mom.
ollynholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #156
LisaCat
Counting too many days till my next trip to Disney!

Being from CA and it being my "home park", I do admit to slipping occasionally and calling MK "Disneyland". ops: LOL

"It's the same as Disneyland, just bigger" is the BIG LIE I got told that kept me from seeing MK not once, but TWICE. Both times the people telling me that were the people I was THERE WITH!

LisaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #157
joxer1014
Mouseketeer

Okay no lie - truly the silliest, saddest thing we heard once while walking around in EPCOT - "Why is there so much Mickey Mouse stuff everywhere?"

I work at a Disney Store and there are some guests who come into the store to make their dining reservations.
joxer1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #158
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

ITS VACATION why do you plan so much? Why dont you just get up and go where you want when you wake up whenever?

Um. Ok. Well, you go at Christmastime and try that and see if you see anything. Let me know how that works for you. My family and I will have a touring plan and see way more than you do, and be a whole lot less grouchy.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #159
ajh88
DIS Veteran

I don't think I have any that haven't been mentioned....but I'll mention again.

1. We didn't want to pay extra for FP....a guy I used to work with. I actually made him google it right then and there to show him he was wrong. I'm glad too - he and his wife caught the Disney bug and take family trips yearly now.

2. I haven't made any hotel reservations AND do I really need dining reservations?....a question asked to DH during Thanksgiving week by a guy planning a trip for the week between Christmas and New Year's. He assumed the parks would be "dead" during that time. DH tried to tell him he needed to get on the ball, but not sure if it sunk in. And yes, I understand you don't NEED dining reservations - unless you really want to eat somewhere in particular!

3. We are going to be SO late for our breakfast at the Castle...overheard on the monorail to EPCOT. There is actually a whole story with this one, that is quite hilarious...needless to say, I think the guys in that group who insisted they got on the right monorail were in a wee bit of trouble the rest of the day after my DH told them they were, in fact, on the wrong monorail. I can understand how this could happen if you aren't paying attention at the TTC...not funny for them at the time, I'm sure, but a funny story for us to remember now.

And when DH and I used to work at Warner Brothers Studio Store, we got asked all the time for Mickey Mouse merchandise...and vice versa when DH was a CM at a Disney Store (people asking for Bugs Bunny, etc. - one lady saw the Beast in plush mountain and exclaimed "Oh look, it's the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz!").

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #160
jj1403
DIS Veteran

Well before we were married I was trying to get my husband to go to DisneyWorld for our honeymoon. He was very skeptical...thought it would be boring and no fun lol.
Him "so what will we do just have pancakes with Mickey Mouse all day??

I'm happy to say he is now a believer and we've been lucky to have gone 8 times And are currently ready for trip #9!
All Star Movies "Escaping the Frackin' Cold" Last Minute Vacation**February 2009!!
Offsite Villa***January 2011 WhooHoo!!
Art of Animation February 2013
We're back! Port Orleans March 2014 Onsite

Last edited by jj1403; 09-14-2012 at 12:36 AM.
jj1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #161
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea

I say we're going to "Orlando" because I'm tired of people asking me why we're going to Disney World AGAIN!
Hahahha truuuuue!!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #162
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

"Disney world is a once in a lifetime trip. Maximise your time as you probably won't do it again."

Thats what I honestly believed in 1998 on our first and what I thought only trip.... we are from the UK, come now every year and are DVC members. Oh how I naive I was. I still hear first timers say this....I cant even count how many times we have been I dont even know lol. We call it our second home!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #163
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
"Disney world is a once in a lifetime trip. Maximise your time as you probably won't do it again."
I think the second part of that quote is actually why WDW is a "once in a lifetime trip" for a lot of people -- after racing around all those enormous parks, they figure they wouldn't survive the experience twice!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #164
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara lynn View Post
I was talking to a friend last year about how much I love Disney World and she told me she had gone to Epcot once when she was down in Florida. I told her Epcot was my favorite park and she was like "really? I thought it was kind of boring. It was just a bunch of countries."

Apparently she and whoever she went with completely missed the front half of the park.
When I go to Epcot, I love visiting the countries. I usually skip the front of the park stuff, if I'm short on time. I do love Living with the Land, though. The greenhouses are lovely! Captain Eo is a favorite, too. The first time I saw it was at Tokyo Disney and it always brings back good memories from that trip.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #165
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom

I think the second part of that quote is actually why WDW is a "once in a lifetime trip" for a lot of people -- after racing around all those enormous parks, they figure they wouldn't survive the experience twice!
Unfortunately I think that's the biggest truth. We have family that went with just enough info (from a TA and a friend) to be dangerous. The did enjoy parts of it and got lucky by going in an off-time, but by the end they were miserable. The worst part is that no one wants to admit they had a miserable trip. So now it's a "do once", "not really for us", "we'd rather go somewhere new" scenario. It's really a shame.

I think the key to remember is "maximizing" your time doesn't necessarily mean racing everywhere and running yourself ragged. Our first trip was a last minute thing - we suddenly had plane tickets and two free days in Orlando. We knew we would get to Disney at some point but had no immediate plans to do so. Still, we decided that the best use of our time was to do only MK. We didn't see everything, but we saw a lot more than just the main attractions. And we did the afternoon nap both days. We were on a plan and commando touring at Rope Drop. But if we hadn't taken time out to rest we wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much. Maximizing your time does not have to mean stressing your family beyond the breaking point.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: