Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

How did you convince your other half?

For those of you that traveled with someone, how did you convince them the trip would be, well, amazing, the first time around?

DBF & I love traveling, however, he always complains about prior to departure. Once the trip is over, he says things like "I'm glad we did that" etc. With the ABD price tags, I know he will complain more, and for longer. That's just him. But, I won't book without his full consent. So, how did you convince your travel partner to take the plunge?

Thank you
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
AquamarineSteph
Mouseketeer
 
AquamarineSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 100

My other half loves to travel once we get started, but I am the planner.

This time I knew I wanted to give ABD a shot, so I said, I'm going to book this trip. We'll go here and here and here, and I'll handle all the arrangements, alright? Then when the question comes about why THIS tour and why not another one, I make my speech about how I have researched and this is the best tour for the dollar for where we want to go.

Then I follow that up with the reassuring 'I'll handle all the arrangements' and make sure that the dates work.

Not the most brilliant of strategies, but my other half has to think, think, think, and if waited for him to plan/book just about any trip, we'd still be sitting here. He does not like the planning. He really doesn't care for that pre-trip anticipation that fills me with such joy. He just wants to know that we're getting what we paid for, which is a reasonable concern.
AquamarineSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamarineSteph View Post
He just wants to know that we're getting what we paid for, which is a reasonable concern.
It is a reasonable concern, and this is exactly where I am stuck. I am confident, that after we take our first ABD, he will see the value in it, and it won't be so difficult.
I have his interest, it is just when the price comes up that we have a 'bump' in the conversation.

I, too, am the planner. He may through out ideas of places to visit on our next trip, or things he is interested in doing, but I make all the arrangements.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
AquamarineSteph
Mouseketeer
 
AquamarineSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 100

What kind of things appeal most to your other half? Is the $ amount going to be the sticking point?

While it's hard to assign a value to the quality of the guides and the travel arrangements, you could do a break down of a few other tours and show why this one is superior for the parts of the trip that interest you the most. Then factor in the Disney name and service. Once you see other tourists having to haul their luggage through the train station at Florence or across a flooded patch in Venice, you'll feel glad that you went with Disney.

There are other points like the quality of the guides, the drivers, etc., to which it is hard to assign a numerical value but which make your trip unique. There's also just the fun part that almost everyone turns to watch your group as you follow your guide. The Disney name is worldwide. It truly made our Italy trip more magical.

But in the end, I knew my other half would balk at the cost no matter how well I explained it. I said, let me take care of all the arrangements. When we came home, I asked him if it had been worth what he finally realized it cost. He said yes, it was.

Good luck with your quest! :-)
AquamarineSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamarineSteph View Post
What kind of things appeal most to your other half? Is the $ amount going to be the sticking point?

While it's hard to assign a value to the quality of the guides and the travel arrangements, you could do a break down of a few other tours and show why this one is superior for the parts of the trip that interest you the most. Then factor in the Disney name and service. Once you see other tourists having to haul their luggage through the train station at Florence or across a flooded patch in Venice, you'll feel glad that you went with Disney.

There are other points like the quality of the guides, the drivers, etc., to which it is hard to assign a numerical value but which make your trip unique. There's also just the fun part that almost everyone turns to watch your group as you follow your guide. The Disney name is worldwide. It truly made our Italy trip more magical.

But in the end, I knew my other half would balk at the cost no matter how well I explained it. I said, let me take care of all the arrangements. When we came home, I asked him if it had been worth what he finally realized it cost. He said yes, it was.

Good luck with your quest! :-)
He likes history. And being lazy on a beach, but, ABD doesn't offer much in the way of beaches lol.
He looks at the cost as the same as buying a small car (for the 2 of us). Which it is. I was looking at the adult exclusives for Germany next year, but waited too long, and they have increased by 1k each. I am not willing to pay more for something that I know I could have gotten a better rate on. That was my mistake. So, I have been working on Egypt for March 2015. We both really want to visit, but the safety concerns him, too. I have told him though, even if we book, there is a good chance that will get cancelled. We won't lose anything if it does.
He's leaving for Vegas in the morning. Maybe he will win some $ and be more willing. Or, maybe I can convince him while intoxicated lol
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
TexasTravelGirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 63

This trip I am booking without his consent, BUT I have experience with convincing the other half. lol. My husband and I have different travel styles.

I typically would show him reviews or tours/hotels/trips and go from there. To be honest, his Disney obsession started with me. I told him I really wanted to back to Disney a few years ago. I said it would be nice to go, and yes I admit I pulled the "it would make me happy card" on more than one occasion. Then I made deals with him that we could plan this for you etc...

For me it took that one trip to convince him to trust my travel judgement. Sometimes it is best to break it down.

I am not going to have this trip paid off completely by time I tell him, but I broke the $$ amount into monthly payments. In the past I have used this strategy for trips. Yes it is a lot of money but it is only x dollars per month and if we eat dinner at home 3 times a week vs going out it is not an issue. Sometimes that helps. Good luck, and I am sure he will be on board once he sees how much planning you have put into it!

Good Luck!

PS sorry if this post seems scattered haha I have had a LOT of caffeine
__________________
01/2011-The Wilderness Lodge, 04/2011- All Star Sports 10/2011 Pop Century, 02/2012- 24 hours in the park Port Orleans, 01/2013Long Lost Friends Week- All Star Sports, 02/13 Honeymoon at the World- Contemporary & Disney's Boardwalk

Upcoming- 09/13 Beach Club
TexasTravelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTravelGirl View Post
This trip I am booking without his consent, BUT I have experience with convincing the other half. lol. My husband and I have different travel styles.

I typically would show him reviews or tours/hotels/trips and go from there. To be honest, his Disney obsession started with me. I told him I really wanted to back to Disney a few years ago. I said it would be nice to go, and yes I admit I pulled the "it would make me happy card" on more than one occasion. Then I made deals with him that we could plan this for you etc...

For me it took that one trip to convince him to trust my travel judgement. Sometimes it is best to break it down.

I am not going to have this trip paid off completely by time I tell him, but I broke the $$ amount into monthly payments. In the past I have used this strategy for trips. Yes it is a lot of money but it is only x dollars per month and if we eat dinner at home 3 times a week vs going out it is not an issue. Sometimes that helps. Good luck, and I am sure he will be on board once he sees how much planning you have put into it!

Good Luck!

PS sorry if this post seems scattered haha I have had a LOT of caffeine
Hi TexasTravelGirl!! Long time no see.

Since I initially wrote this post, I have actually gotten my consent. Yay!! I did some of what you mentioned above, explaining how we could pay xx amount each month, etc., to break it up. However, I could never book, pay, etc., for something without mutual agreement for anything that is considered a large purchase. That's just something we've agreed upon.

Anyhow, now that I do have his consent, it is just a matter of me calling & booking. I'm now second guessing myself.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
TexasTravelGirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
Hi TexasTravelGirl!! Long time no see.

Since I initially wrote this post, I have actually gotten my consent. Yay!! I did some of what you mentioned above, explaining how we could pay xx amount each month, etc., to break it up. However, I could never book, pay, etc., for something without mutual agreement for anything that is considered a large purchase. That's just something we've agreed upon.

Anyhow, now that I do have his consent, it is just a matter of me calling & booking. I'm now second guessing myself.
Ha! Yay! I have been so busy, I try to get on here, and visit every once in awhile now. I am telling you I 2nd guessed myself probably 123,246,456,465 times lol

Now it is just paying this beast of a trip off! Good luck with your decision. To me that was the hardest part!
__________________
01/2011-The Wilderness Lodge, 04/2011- All Star Sports 10/2011 Pop Century, 02/2012- 24 hours in the park Port Orleans, 01/2013Long Lost Friends Week- All Star Sports, 02/13 Honeymoon at the World- Contemporary & Disney's Boardwalk

Upcoming- 09/13 Beach Club
TexasTravelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
jennyst
Earning My Ears
 
jennyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 62

I showed him videos on youtube! was very simple but effective
__________________
Jenny and the Family
Me DH DD(8) DD(5) Boo Daisy Layla

jennyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTravelGirl View Post

Ha! Yay! I have been so busy, I try to get on here, and visit every once in awhile now. I am telling you I 2nd guessed myself probably 123,246,456,465 times lol

Now it is just paying this beast of a trip off! Good luck with your decision. To me that was the hardest part!
We've decided on the trip/date, I'm just not 100% sure we should do it.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyst View Post
I showed him videos on youtube! was very simple but effective
Great idea!!
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,221
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
We've decided on the trip/date, I'm just not 100% sure we should do it.
Have you considered a different trip, or is that the only one you're interested in?

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Have you considered a different trip, or is that the only one you're interested in?

Sayhello
If we book, I would really want Egypt. I have been trying to narrow down an alternative, but, they don't 'speak' to me the way the Egypt itinerary does.

PS. I forgot to call ABD to ask them what we discussed, will call now!!

Edit: Spoke to a vacationista at ABD. The only Egypt trip that ran was the inaugural, which was April 2012, not October.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13

Last edited by dizneekrazee; 07-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,221
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
If we book, I would really want Egypt. I have been trying to narrow down an alternative, but, they don't 'speak' to me the way the Egypt itinerary does.

PS. I forgot to call ABD to ask them what we discussed, will call now!!

Edit: Spoke to a vacationista at ABD. The only Egypt trip that ran was the inaugural, which was April 2012, not October.
Well, that answers that question! Thanks for letting us know.

Have you looked at the Greece trip? It was amazing! I'm starting my Trip Report in a day or two....

But I know what you mean. When I looked to take my first ABD, Southwest Splendors was the one that spoke to me and I never seriously considered doing any other one that year.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Well, that answers that question! Thanks for letting us know.

Have you looked at the Greece trip? It was amazing! I'm starting my Trip Report in a day or two....

But I know what you mean. When I looked to take my first ABD, Southwest Splendors was the one that spoke to me and I never seriously considered doing any other one that year.

Sayhello
I have looked at Greece, and it is not out of the running. I was trying to get something that would also fulfill a bucket list item for us. While Greece is on that list, it is not high up on that list. My current 4 back ups are Greece, Germany, France, and Italy (Rome, Venice, etc). I also like the Alpine Magic itinerary, but it would not fulfill the bucket list requirement.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13

Last edited by dizneekrazee; 07-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.