Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
$50 pp per day?!? That has to be a typo. Lets do the math: On the new ships there are 44 concierge cabins, if full and average 3 guests per room (more likely closer to 4) it would be ... 50x3x7x44= 46,200 then divided 3 ways is $15,400 per WEEK per concierge host with no room and board costs ... not to mention they are salaried as well, not completely dependent on tips! SIGN ME UP!

I dropped $500 for our 7 night because I thought the service was extra special and I had a repeat host. I thought that was very generous. Other cruises we left 50-100 per concierge host depending how helpful or not they were.

I agree about the stateroom host tip in concierge, it needs to be adjusted for suites. We have doubled or tripled based on which room we were in.
Where do I sign up to be paid like that?

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
ihatetexas
Earning My Ears

I suspect the OP is a current concierge on Disney cruises. $50 per person (even for an entire cruise) is probably too much. Panos, is that you out there my old friend! Maybe it is one of the others. No sane person would even consider anything near that amount.
ihatetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
Kimmiebr80
Mouseketeer

phew! I'm glad most of you are in agreement that the $50/day is high!!! I was really getting nervous. We are getting the room at a steal and that is the only reason we're staying concierge. We weren't going to be able to afford anywhere near that amount in tips!
Kimmiebr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
calker
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry

I miss-typed - I was told by Guest Services that they recommend $50.00 per person for a seven day cruise. OR a total of $100.00 for my husband and I for our seven day cruise. I felt that the $50.00 was too low and would like guidance on a more appropriate amount.

NOT $50.00 per day per person.

I'm sorry for the confusion this miss-quote caused.

calker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #35
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calker View Post
It' OK, I enjoyed the discussion.
And I'm confident this thread added some clarity to this mysterious topic.

Last edited by Bear3412; 09-10-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #36
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
I miss-typed - I was told by Guest Services that they recommend $50.00 per person for a seven day cruise. OR a total of $100.00 for my husband and I for our seven day cruise. I felt that the $50.00 was too low and would like guidance on a more appropriate amount.

Thank you for clearing that up!!!

It did make for a great afternoon of discussions.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calker

Love it! LOL! Well we got a lively kick out of this discussion!

Last edited by luv2sleep; 09-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseears1 View Post
I agree with you in regards to our stateroom host. The suggested tip is to low especially if you are in the Royals or really any of the suites. The base tip for us is to double the suggested tip and then add more for it is a lot more work. My son was in our suite one trip completing homework and when we got back to the room he told me Suda (our stateroom hostess) was under our tables cleaning the undersides of them.

My family is extremely neat, ok , mom is anyways. We gather all our glasses and put them on one table, gather all garbage and put it in one can, put all plates stacked right next to the glasses, straightened the magazines, the beds etc.We try to be respectful as my parents taught me, and they spent over an hour cleaning still. My hats off to them, they do an amazing job with a smile on their face and always asking is there anything they can do for us. My son, who was a teenager at the time, about 17 years old I believe, even started helping Suda when he was in the room. Suda told him that he didn't have to but my son told her that he wanted to. He told me she works so hard to make our trip enjoyable that he felt it was the right thing to do. My parents, if they were still alive, would be so proud of him.
This son of yours, is he spoken for? I know a very nice girl who could use a handsom, kind man and potential mother-in-law.
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #39
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Makes more sense. The poll conducted a few weeks ago had a fair percentage (around 15%) not feeling any tip should be provided. Around 60% felt something in the $100 or less category for a family of four on a 7 night cruise was reasonable. I guess it will continue to be left to the discretion of the guest with no specific guidance.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #40
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, I won't argue with $50 per person on a 7 night cruise, but let me play devil's advocate here. The suggested tip for the dining room server is $28 per person on a 7 night cruise. For this, he/she works about 12 hours per day, running his/her tail off to get my food just the way I like it.

What, exactly, does the concierge do that is worth double the tip of the dining server? Basically, his/her job is to play "suck up" to the guest and make sure they are happy. OK, they make reservations, hand you tickets for any event that requires them, make sure you know that you can get priority tendering services and a golf cart to take you to the beach. They bring your pictures to you from Shutters and deliver a lithograph to your room. They make sure the water and soda is refilled if you are royal. And they hang out in the concierge lounge to be "available....Given that I've normally made all the reservations I would need in advance on my computer (and it maybe took me 15 minutes total), they are providing about 10 minutes of service per day to a typical family. And that 10 minutes is worth double what a dining server gets?

IMHO, the "old" system where the concierge services were part of staying in concierge (no tip expected) made more sense. But this way is cheaper for DCL, so it won't change.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #41
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Interesting that Guest Services is recommending an amount now. They used to not specify anything, even when asked. Doubly interesting that they think the concierge should be tipped at a higher rate than your dining room server. I personally don't agree with that. Not for the little the concierge does for us. JMHO.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
mouseears1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau

This son of yours, is he spoken for? I know a very nice girl who could use a handsom, kind man and potential mother-in-law.
You are to kind My only child is 21, single, going to college and one of the most compassionate people I know. He lives by the mantra my parents instilled in me and in him too "We are here to help people in any way we can".

You made my day Thank you from both of us.
mouseears1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #43
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Always a lively topic ... tipping ... and concierge tipping just added a twist.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: