Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
And...since no one asked...my pet peeve. I think that stateroom host tips should be higher in concierge suites. They are cleaning a lot more space including kitchen and bathroom space, and every mother knows that's where the bulk of the work is. The host spends approximately twice as much time in a suite as in a normal cabin; this should be reflected in his/her tip.
Absolutely. We have always had great service from our concierge host... And tip has always reflected the additional workload and level of service.
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Phew! Glad the consensus is that it's not that high.

From what you all say (I've never seen the inside of a concierge room in person), it sounds like the stateroom host deserves a great tip for cleaning the larger rooms for sure.
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
FJS961
DIS Veteran

$50 pp per day?!?!? No way

$50 pp per day?!? That has to be a typo. Lets do the math: On the new ships there are 44 concierge cabins, if full and average 3 guests per room (more likely closer to 4) it would be ... 50x3x7x44= 46,200 then divided 3 ways is $15,400 per WEEK per concierge host with no room and board costs ... not to mention they are salaried as well, not completely dependent on tips! SIGN ME UP!

I dropped $500 for our 7 night because I thought the service was extra special and I had a repeat host. I thought that was very generous. Other cruises we left 50-100 per concierge host depending how helpful or not they were.

I agree about the stateroom host tip in concierge, it needs to be adjusted for suites. We have doubled or tripled based on which room we were in.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
mouseears1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
The "standard" tips are charged in concierge the same as in any other cabin. The issue is that the concierge is not a standard position and does not have a "suggested" amount. It is left to the guest's choice.

$50 per guest per night--that's crazy. $50 per guest per cruise--more like it depending on length of cruise. Frankly, I'd base the concierge tip on what they did for me and my family.

And...since no one asked...my pet peeve. I think that stateroom host tips should be higher in concierge suites. They are cleaning a lot more space including kitchen and bathroom space, and every mother knows that's where the bulk of the work is. The host spends approximately twice as much time in a suite as in a normal cabin; this should be reflected in his/her tip.
I agree with you in regards to our stateroom host. The suggested tip is to low especially if you are in the Royals or really any of the suites. The base tip for us is to double the suggested tip and then add more for it is a lot more work. My son was in our suite one trip completing homework and when we got back to the room he told me Suda (our stateroom hostess) was under our tables cleaning the undersides of them.

My family is extremely neat, ok , mom is anyways. We gather all our glasses and put them on one table, gather all garbage and put it in one can, put all plates stacked right next to the glasses, straightened the magazines, the beds etc.We try to be respectful as my parents taught me, and they spent over an hour cleaning still. My hats off to them, they do an amazing job with a smile on their face and always asking is there anything they can do for us. My son, who was a teenager at the time, about 17 years old I believe, even started helping Suda when he was in the room. Suda told him that he didn't have to but my son told her that he wanted to. He told me she works so hard to make our trip enjoyable that he felt it was the right thing to do. My parents, if they were still alive, would be so proud of him.
mouseears1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
FJS961
DIS Veteran

another tip on concierge tipping...

I have another tip about concierge tipping on Dream / Fantasy. The 3 concierge hosts have to split the tip equally three ways unless you give cash individually.

We had 2 of the 3 particularly helpful and engaging while the other was not. It really bothered me to have to divide the tip equally, not fair. I asked if it could be split but it could not.

Next time, I would bring some cash so I can individually tip them or supplement a 'base tip' I might put on my ship account.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I have another tip about concierge tipping on Dream / Fantasy. The 3 concierge hosts have to split the tip equally three ways unless you give cash individually.

We had 2 of the 3 particularly helpful and engaging while the other was not. It really bothered me to have to divide the tip equally, not fair. I asked if it could be split but it could not.

Next time, I would bring some cash so I can individually tip them or supplement a 'base tip' I might put on my ship account.
I agree totally. We did bring cash just for this reason.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
PCH
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=FJS961;46100240]I have another tip about concierge tipping on Dream / Fantasy. The 3 concierge hosts have to split the tip equally three ways unless you give cash individually.

We just got off the Fantasy and I asked this exact question. I was told that even if I gave cash to the individual concierge hosts, they would still divide it equally
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
WinstonC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I actually mentioned it (see post #2) and agree with you 100%.
WinstonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
FJS961
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=PCH;46100391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post

We just got off the Fantasy and I asked this exact question. I was told that even if I gave cash to the individual concierge hosts, they would still divide it equally
Thats ridiculous IMO
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #25
frugalwitch
Mouseketeer

I thought the whole point of the higher cost of concierge was to cover the extra service. I can understand all the normal tipping, but what else am I paying for in concierge except the extra service?
We will be in the HA cat V , not a suite.
frugalwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #26
tahoe9813
Disney Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalwitch
I thought the whole point of the higher cost of concierge was to cover the extra service. I can understand all the normal tipping, but what else am I paying for in concierge except the extra service?
We will be in the HA cat V , not a suite.
I have to agree as well. Also, if they positions we are talking about tipping, why should they receive a tip--unless, they go totally above and beyond.
tahoe9813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
WallaceFamily
Some faith, trust and pixie dust.

I have never stayed in Concierge, but that sounds like way too much for just cleaning a room for a week. Wish my husband and kids paid me for cleaning daily year after year after year...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceFamily
I have never stayed in Concierge, but that sounds like way too much for just cleaning a room for a week. Wish my husband and kids paid me for cleaning daily year after year after year...
Haha! Good perspective! I work full time AND clean a 3 bedroom house on my own year round. No one pays me a dime. Lol! I sure wish someone would! . But, I'm fine with tipping people who do it for me, of course. Don't think I'll be staying concierge though because of the expectation of such high tips if I got to upgrade at port (only way it would happen for me). I'm obviously just not made of that kind of money! Kudos to you who can afford it.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 09-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
outahere

Personally, I think $50 per person/per day is ridiculously high! We usually tip each member of the Concierge team individually, in cash. Both times that we've sailed on the Dream there were extra tip envelopes (for all the tipped positions) in a small stand on the counter in the Concierge lounge. When we've stayed Concierge on the Magic and Wonder we went to Guest Services and got extra envelopes.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere
Personally, I think $50 per person/per day is ridiculously high! We usually tip each member of the Concierge team individually, in cash. Both times that we've sailed on the Dream there were extra tip envelopes (for all the tipped positions) in a small stand on the counter in the Concierge lounge. When we've stayed Concierge on the Magic and Wonder we went to Guest Services and got extra envelopes.
That's a great idea - get extra envelopes and give some cash IF indicated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: