Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you have lunch when you board the Dream?
Cabanas 41 73.21%
Enchanted Garden 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
cruisingdiva
Earning My Ears

Enchanted Garden. I like to start our cruse with a quiet, relaxing lunch. We were on board early and the first family in the dining room,, I think your mom and sister will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
cruisingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Go to the CL first. You will be able to settle in, probably get into your rooms and drop off your carryon, make any spa arrangements and get first dibs on appts., get kids arranged into the clubs without having to go to the clubs, get nibbles and free adult beverages and other drinks, and meet the concierge staff. Don't worry about the restaurants being too busy. Also, if you go to Cabanas, you can walk down the stairs to deck 11, which is so easy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

We had planned on getting lunch, but the food they had out in the CL was so good, we ended up not getting lunch at all - we at in the CL until our rooms were ready and we had booked everything we needed, then explored and grabbed ice cream. We had early dining, so this worked perfectly for us.

That said, we only had four nights and only got to eat in EG for lunch once and absolutely adored it. So now I kinda wish we'd eaten there the first day just to have hit it one more time On the other hand, the PP who said they like to see it at night first has a good point - that was magical.

That's not a very helpful post, except potentially the fact that the food on the CL was awesome and plentiful

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Happy Goofy
DIS Veteran

Having been on the Wonder and the Magic several times we will be going on the Dream in Feb. Any suggestions about what to see and do will be appreciated.
Happy Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
There is inside seating at Cabanas. We ate there first day for lunch, and several other times too and it was always inside. I did notice outside seating but I like to eat without dripping in sweat! LOL
maybe october won't be quite so humid? although on both of our cruises, it was pouring rain on embarkation day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealandsmom View Post
We will do enchanted garden. DH likes the less of the hustle and bustle of the deck after the cruise terminal. Sitting by the pool means more yelling/screaming/excitement then our kids might not eat wanting to do aqua duck etc.
that's something i was also worried about...it doesn't bother me so much, but i think it might bother my mom...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

You left out the Cars quick service windows - Luigi's Pizza, Tow Mater Grill, and Fillmores Favorites!

I absolutely love the sandwiches and make your own salad at Fillmores, and so far those windows have been far less busy than Cabanas!

We grab chairs by the pool and everyone just gets what they want when they want.

You can also choose a table on deck midway between the two areas and check them both out, bringing whatever you want back to your table.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink87 View Post
we ate at cabana's on our first cruise - last year on the dream. can't compare it to enchanted garden on the first day but we did do brunch there another day. we liked being outside, on the pool deck when we first got on the ship, checking out the aquaduck, pool, etc.
we're very much outdoor people, so that's why i thought we might like it, but i'm worried about the crowds/noise issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdiva View Post
Enchanted Garden. I like to start our cruse with a quiet, relaxing lunch. We were on board early and the first family in the dining room,, I think your mom and sister will enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
you might well be right - that's the one thing that worries me about cabanas - that it might be too busy/noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
Go to the CL first. You will be able to settle in, probably get into your rooms and drop off your carryon, make any spa arrangements and get first dibs on appts., get kids arranged into the clubs without having to go to the clubs, get nibbles and free adult beverages and other drinks, and meet the concierge staff. Don't worry about the restaurants being too busy. Also, if you go to Cabanas, you can walk down the stairs to deck 11, which is so easy.
you walk down the stairs to deck 11 and then to the back of the ship?
i have to start figuring out the lay of the land, so i know where i'm going when we board...i know i'll be the designated guide in addition to planner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandrananette View Post
We had planned on getting lunch, but the food they had out in the CL was so good, we ended up not getting lunch at all - we at in the CL until our rooms were ready and we had booked everything we needed, then explored and grabbed ice cream. We had early dining, so this worked perfectly for us.

That said, we only had four nights and only got to eat in EG for lunch once and absolutely adored it. So now I kinda wish we'd eaten there the first day just to have hit it one more time On the other hand, the PP who said they like to see it at night first has a good point - that was magical.

That's not a very helpful post, except potentially the fact that the food on the CL was awesome and plentiful
your post was very helpful!! the point about the good food in the CL and early dining - we also have early dining...
and also about seeing EG first at night...

based on all these comments, i know one thing for sure - we'll go to the concierge lounge first, get rid of our bags, have a few munchies and then decide what to do.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Goofy View Post
Having been on the Wonder and the Magic several times we will be going on the Dream in Feb. Any suggestions about what to see and do will be appreciated.
i haven't a clue - i've only been on the Wonder
you could post a new thread and i'm sure you'll get lots of responses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
You left out the Cars quick service windows - Luigi's Pizza, Tow Mater Grill, and Fillmores Favorites!

I absolutely love the sandwiches and make your own salad at Fillmores, and so far those windows have been far less busy than Cabanas!

We grab chairs by the pool and everyone just gets what they want when they want.

You can also choose a table on deck midway between the two areas and check them both out, bringing whatever you want back to your table.
there's a make your own salad??? yum!! that's a great idea - i hadn't thought of that...
where is the cars area? midship deck 11?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
there's a make your own salad??? yum!! that's a great idea - i hadn't thought of that...
where is the cars area? midship deck 11?
Yes, midship, deck 11 - between the Donald pool and the Quiet Cove area on the starboard side.

That area is one of our favorites - and seems to be missed by lots of folks!

Here are the menus:

And the soft serve self serve ice cream is on the opposite side from this area.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post

based on all these comments, i know one thing for sure - we'll go to the concierge lounge first, get rid of our bags, have a few munchies and then decide what to do.

This would be my thinking first & foremost. I "plan" to go to EG because I need the quiet, low-key experience to calm me after all the excitement of boarding. But, before all that it's more important for me to go with the flow. Even if I intended to go to EG I'm definitely up for anything else that crosses our minds in the moment. So I say know your options & see what you all feel like when you get there. Feeling festive & ready to roll? Go check out Cabanas! Feeling like its been a heckuva morning so far & think a respite would be nice? EG it is! Or, maybe you aren't very hungry and feeling the need to explore. Grab some yummies at the lounge or at the windows on-deck and go for it!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

Cabanas hands down. I love how you don’t need to stand in a long for the food you want and plenty of open tables if you like sitting outside.
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
Yes, midship, deck 11 - between the Donald pool and the Quiet Cove area on the starboard side.

That area is one of our favorites - and seems to be missed by lots of folks!

Here are the menus:

And the soft serve self serve ice cream is on the opposite side from this area.
are there tables in the area if the quickie food places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
This would be my thinking first & foremost. I "plan" to go to EG because I need the quiet, low-key experience to calm me after all the excitement of boarding. But, before all that it's more important for me to go with the flow. Even if I intended to go to EG I'm definitely up for anything else that crosses our minds in the moment. So I say know your options & see what you all feel like when you get there. Feeling festive & ready to roll? Go check out Cabanas! Feeling like its been a heckuva morning so far & think a respite would be nice? EG it is! Or, maybe you aren't very hungry and feeling the need to explore. Grab some yummies at the lounge or at the windows on-deck and go for it!
sounds like a good approach!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRuns 26 View Post
Cabanas hands down. I love how you don’t need to stand in a long for the food you want and plenty of open tables if you like sitting outside.
and that makes sense too!!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

I always do the upstairs buffet over the restaurant. When I'm starting off a cruise I want to be up there enjoying the sun, getting the feeling Im on a ship. I dont want to be stuck inside in a restaurant.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #29
mmi
Mouseketeer

The buffet at EG is much smaller than at Cabanas. Didn't seem like they had much in the way of kids food, and not as much seafood. We will go to Cabanas on our next cruise, even though we really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere at EG after the craziness of embarkation.
mmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #30
DizDays
DVC & D23 Member

Enchanted Garden - because of the poll results. It's much quieter.

DizDays is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: