Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where do you have lunch when you board the Dream?
Cabanas 41 73.21%
Enchanted Garden 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Embarkation day lunch on the Dream - where do you eat and why?

When you board the Dream, where do you eat lunch - Cabanas or Enchanted Garden?
Why?

I've never been on the Dream and am trying to plan our first day.
I can't figure out if i should take my mom and sister to Cabanas or to the Enchanted Garden when we board the ship.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I like to sit down, tuck my carry on under the table, and have my beverage refills served to me.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I like to sit down, tuck my carry on under the table, and have my beverage refills served to me.
that's what i was thinking.

both times we boarded the Wonder, we ate in parrot cay rather that topsiders, so i thought i'd do the same on the Dream.
But several people have said that Cabanas has a better selection of food and a better view.

i'm stressing about everything being perfect for my mom and sister.

I also can't figure out if i want to take them to lunch first and then go to the concierge lounge or go to the concierge lounge first.
i hate being the designated planner.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

We like to be able to sit outside and eat on our first day - really gets us into the Cruise Spirit.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
thegales
Mouseketeer
Says he is happy tagless but the Tag Fairy ain't buying it!

I think it depends on your family and what you like to do. Our family wants to take advantage of the top decks when we board the ship. We find a table out on deck somewhere, put our carryon's in an out of the way place, then grab food at Topsiders/BBB/Cabanas. Getting our own drinks is not that hard. It is easy for the girls to go to the Aquaduck, or other things while mom and dad continue enjoying lunch. It is also fun to people watch and say hello to all our Dis friends. And sometimes the characters are wondering on deck (not in the restaurant, but out on deck).

aka lifeof in Chat

June 16, 2012 Eastern Cruise / December 18, 2010 11 Day Southern Caribbean / November 21, 2007 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / July 15, 2006 Western / November 23, 2005 Thanksgiving on the Wonder / October 9, 2004 Western Cruise / June 14, 2003 Eastern Cruise

thegales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

We ate in Enchanted Garden, and we would do it again. When we were on the Wonder for a previous cruise, the buffet inside was so good that this time we just went inside for our August cruise as well. We just didn't give outside a thought.

After eating, the younger people in our family, did go on the Aquaduck, twice, so eating inside didn't mean they didn't enjoy the pool and outside activities afterwards.

Bobbi
Old 09-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
LunaCup
1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

We like to do Cabanas for our first meal so we can get in then get out and go do stuff around the ship. Most of that "stuff" is exploring (this is when you can check out the kid's areas and see how cool Andy's room is for example lol).

DCL:
Disney Magic Aug. '08 7 night
Disney Wonder Mar. '07 4 night
Disney Wonder May '07 3 night
Disney Wonder Sept. '08 3 night
LunaCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

On our Dream cruise, we ate at Cabanas because we read the food and/or selection was better. Whether or not it was, I plan to eat in the Enchanted Garden for our Fantasy cruise lunch.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

When it's our first time on a new ship, we try to avoid the MDR's until we've had dinner in there. It's exciting to us. So when we boarded the Dream for the first time, we ate at Cabanas. And when we boarded the Magic for the first time, we ate at Topsiders. But I think that even if it wasn't our first time, I like the idea of going to the buffet where we can eat outside.

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and Disney
November 2015 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
that's what i was thinking.

both times we boarded the Wonder, we ate in parrot cay rather that topsiders, so i thought i'd do the same on the Dream.
But several people have said that Cabanas has a better selection of food and a better view.

i'm stressing about everything being perfect for my mom and sister.

I also can't figure out if i want to take them to lunch first and then go to the concierge lounge or go to the concierge lounge first.
i hate being the designated planner.
Go to the concierge lounge first so you can have them store your carry-on for you. Also, the rooms on concierge tend to be ready right when you board. Your checked luggage won't be far behind.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaCup View Post
We like to do Cabanas for our first meal so we can get in then get out and go do stuff around the ship. .
It is a buffet at either place. One does not take longer than the other. The difference is atmosphere (inside vs. outside) and whether beverage refills are brought to you or you need to get up and get them.

On the Magic and Wonder, the food is the same both places. Since I've only done Enchanted Garden, I can't address whether it is the same food in Cabanas.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
We like to be able to sit outside and eat on our first day - really gets us into the Cruise Spirit.
i also thought of that...i live in a hot climate and when my mom visits, she likes to sit outside as often as possible...
so it seems like cabanas would be a good fit for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
On our Dream cruise, we ate at Cabanas because we read the food and/or selection was better. Whether or not it was, I plan to eat in the Enchanted Garden for our Fantasy cruise lunch.
i've heard that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandersons04 View Post
When it's our first time on a new ship, we try to avoid the MDR's until we've had dinner in there. It's exciting to us. So when we boarded the Dream for the first time, we ate at Cabanas. And when we boarded the Magic for the first time, we ate at Topsiders. But I think that even if it wasn't our first time, I like the idea of going to the buffet where we can eat outside.
i hadn't considered that...leaving the excitement of the MDR to the evening we eat there....
that's an interesting thought!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer View Post
Go to the concierge lounge first so you can have them store your carry-on for you. Also, the rooms on concierge tend to be ready right when you board. Your checked luggage won't be far behind.
i'm worried that if we go to the CL first, by the time we get to lunch the place will be packed with people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
It is a buffet at either place. One does not take longer than the other. The difference is atmosphere (inside vs. outside) and whether beverage refills are brought to you or you need to get up and get them.

On the Magic and Wonder, the food is the same both places. Since I've only done Enchanted Garden, I can't address whether it is the same food in Cabanas.
well it's definitely not a big deal to get drinks by oneself..
i didn't really like parrot cay very much when we ate there on embarkation there.....but i never ate at topsiders - ever....not once during either cruise..so i don't even know what it's like eating up on deck...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Snick
Mouseketeer

There is inside seating at Cabanas. We ate there first day for lunch, and several other times too and it was always inside. I did notice outside seating but I like to eat without dripping in sweat! LOL
2010, Pop Century, 4 days
2012, Land & Sea: Bahamas 4 day cruise, Pop, 7 days
2013?????
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
thinktink87
Earning My Ears

we ate at cabana's on our first cruise - last year on the dream. can't compare it to enchanted garden on the first day but we did do brunch there another day. we liked being outside, on the pool deck when we first got on the ship, checking out the aquaduck, pool, etc.
thinktink87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

We will do enchanted garden. DH likes the less of the hustle and bustle of the deck after the cruise terminal. Sitting by the pool means more yelling/screaming/excitement then our kids might not eat wanting to do aqua duck etc.

Edited to say we eat breakfast every morning at cabanas/topsiders
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: