Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
longing4disney
Mouseketeer
 
longing4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381

Upgrading child to adult dining plan

My daughter is 6 and after reading the many threads here about upgrading to adult plan, I am thinking of doing the same for her since it mean more food variety and the upgrade does not cost us much since we are on free dining and will only need to pay a adult ticket for her. My question is, will we be able to still pay OOP child price for her at a buffet or family style meal? Has anyone tried this?
__________________
Our Family - DH , Me , DS15 , DS13 , DD6

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 838

You should be able to. When the server brings the bill, just tell them how many meals to take from the dining plan. Anything that's left will be paid OOP. Even though you have the meal plan, you can still decide when and where you want to use it. If you use this strategy, make sure that you won't have extra meals left over from upgrading her to the adult plan.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
mousecoachjenn
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.
 
mousecoachjenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Salem, VA
Posts: 29

I would leave her as she is. Buffets are a huge benefit for kids on the plan. When you do table service, think about letting her sample some of the adult food from your plates. Also, some restaurants have child sizes of "adult type" food if you communicate. Take some time to look at the kids menus, there are some great choices...it isn't all chicken nuggets and fries.

Also, I have to admit that I have a hard time finishing the adult portions at Disney...I sometimes get the child's meals because it is just so much food. I think it might be hard for a little one to finish. I've done a lot of sharing with my son over the years...just as much for me as for him.
mousecoachjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran
 
Woodmnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousecoachjenn View Post
I would leave her as she is. Buffets are a huge benefit for kids on the plan. When you do table service, think about letting her sample some of the adult food from your plates. Also, some restaurants have child sizes of "adult type" food if you communicate. Take some time to look at the kids menus, there are some great choices...it isn't all chicken nuggets and fries.

Also, I have to admit that I have a hard time finishing the adult portions at Disney...I sometimes get the child's meals because it is just so much food. I think it might be hard for a little one to finish. I've done a lot of sharing with my son over the years...just as much for me as for him.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Since the OP has free dining the price difference (based upon a 7 day ticket) is $18. I would gladly pay this to allow my child, even a toddler, the choice of the entire menu verse the limited children's menu.

OP - If you plan on paying OOP for some buffets or meals for your child, then you can use the extra adult credits for some signature dining or maybe an extra meal altogether.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
longing4disney
Mouseketeer
 
longing4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. Since the OP has free dining the price difference (based upon a 7 day ticket) is $18. I would gladly pay this to allow my child, even a toddler, the choice of the entire menu verse the limited children's menu.

OP - If you plan on paying OOP for some buffets or meals for your child, then you can use the extra adult credits for some signature dining or maybe an extra meal altogether.
Thanks. That's what I am thinking. We will be doing CRT and the extra adult credits will definitely come in useful.

What I am concern is if our KTTW card shows that we are a group of 5 adults, will the CM at the restaurant expect us to pay adult prices for my daughter since she has an adult ticket. Maybe I should bring a copy of her passport, will it be necessary?
__________________
Our Family - DH , Me , DS15 , DS13 , DD6

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran
 
Woodmnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,131

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney View Post
Thanks. That's what I am thinking. We will be doing CRT and the extra adult credits will definitely come in useful.

What I am concern is if our KTTW card shows that we are a group of 5 adults, will the CM at the restaurant expect us to pay adult prices for my daughter since she has an adult ticket. Maybe I should bring a copy of her passport, will it be necessary?
I don't think it will be necessary, unless your 6 yo would often be confused for much older. You could always take a pic of her passport with your phone just in case, but I doubt you would need it.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran
 
Sheaboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brimfield, Massachusetts
Posts: 719

If she orders a child meal at a table service, just tell them you will pay out of pocket for the kids meal. If she orders an adult meal, tell them how many meals to pay with meal credits.

I highly doubt you will need proof of age to pay out of pocket for something. As long as you are paying for all meals you purchased it will not make a difference how you are paying. They will need to ring up your out of pocket meal up separately because of tax, I think. This is what they do when you order a beer, they ring it up separately.
__________________
Trip Report August 2014:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323593

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
TDluvsDaisy
DVC Member BCV & VGF
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 810

I've done this for my son. We upgrade him to adult on the dining plan and tickets and some buffets that we go to that he doesn't eat much, we just pay oop with him at a kid's price. We've never had a problem.

I wouldn't even bother with the ID. The CMs rarely ask for it.
__________________
Lead me to Daisy!
TDluvsDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
longing4disney
Mouseketeer
 
longing4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I don't think it will be necessary, unless your 6 yo would often be confused for much older. You could always take a pic of her passport with your phone just in case, but I doubt you would need it.
Thanks, taking a pic is a gd idea. I think we'll just upgrade her and enjoy the flexibility.
__________________
Our Family - DH , Me , DS15 , DS13 , DD6

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer
 
Tinkerpeas hubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4disney

Thanks, taking a pic is a gd idea. I think we'll just upgrade her and enjoy the flexibility.
We are upgrading our 2 boys that are 7 as our oldest will be 10 while on holiday! We also have free DDP and although I know my sons won't eat a full adult meal they WILL LOVE the desserts!!! at signature meals I have booked I will pay OOP as it won't be worth using the adult TS for them when they can order steak at these for around 10 dollars

This means DH and I will get to do more signatures and because the kids can share we have booked 4/5 extra meals that we wouldn't have done otherwise. It's so worth it, you will have NO problem paying the kids OOP price at any restaurant.
__________________
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me Mickey.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
mecheermom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 30

where do i find this?

[QUOTE=Woodmnky;46108280]Since the OP has free dining the price difference (based upon a 7 day ticket) is $18. /QUOTE]
__________________
2008 GF w castle view
2011 Disneyland & Holiday Inn
2011 Disney Dream
2012 POR Royal Room

mecheermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
longing4disney
Mouseketeer
 
longing4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 381

I have upgraded DD. We have a 9 day ticket and I paid $19 only! We have also paid in full for our package! Looking forward to receiving our Mickey mail!
__________________
Our Family - DH , Me , DS15 , DS13 , DD6

May 1996 : Offsite, Disneyland, CA
Nov 2007 : Contemporary, WDW
Jun 2010 : Disneyland Hotel, HK Disneyland
Nov 2012 : The Poly, WDW
longing4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.